Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Adolf Hitler and His Airship: An Alternate History

quote:

Adolf Hitler, alive in an alternate history, in alternate time. It’s the 1930’s.

In this alternative history, Canada and Britain are locked in a cold war against America. Canada is controlled by its evil Prime Minister, Tommy ‘The Needle’ Douglas, whose platform of state-provided medical insurance, as well as his radical agenda of eugenics - to rid society of subnormal or incurable people - has placed him in almost dictatorial power.

He knows the USA is his main stumbling block for a ‘Final World Cleanse’. Supporting him are ‘big pharma’, the International Medical Association and the GMO consortium. The good people of America have resisted Douglas’s message of intolerance and forced insurance, but that has not stopped Douglas and his agent provocateurs from forming a fifth column.

Among the many brave men and women who are actively working for the interests of America, is one young man, and his father. They are inventors, explorers, a family of integrity, full of courage, pluck, daring and the fighting spirit that is the embodiment of the ideal American.
They are Adolf Hitler and his father Alois of Shopton, New York.
Adolf Hitler was just trying to build his airship and peruse his infatuation with a young school girl, Evie Brown. However, his previous inventions and exploits have brought him to the attention of the Canadian Dictator Douglas, and his secret-agent grandson, Jack Beck.
Lining up against him are Winnie Churchill, Joey Steele, Frankie Roosevelt, and even Al Gore.
Adolf has finished his latest invention- the Red Komet - a fast and innovative airship, part plane and part zeppelin. No sooner is Adolf in the air than he is framed for the robbery. Suddenly, he's a wanted fugitive but doesn't know why until he's half-way across the country. With no safe harbor or friend on the land below he faces death by Canadian funded gangs of Free Masons, underground communists and other state sponsored terrorists. Hitler must race back to Shopton to clear his name before he's shot out of the sky.

Adolf Hitler can only rely on his pluck, courage, brains and daring, plus a little help from his friends. Meet Al Speer, Jesse Owens, Dr. Norman Bethune, Sheriff Joe Arpaio, Arthur Nebe. In the battle Adolf fights to restore his image and put a dent into the world-wide Canadian conspiracy to bring about a New World Order.

Those of you who haven't closed your browser window in disgust/bafflement will have picked up on that the book apparently has a Glenn Beck-esque flavor, in that it is so wildly insane and stupid that your brain can't settle on if it is insane, a satire of, well, something, or a satire written by somebody who is in fact insane. Frankly, it's all a bit too much for me. Is anybody here in the book barn brave enough to read through it and tell the thread what the Christ is going on?

I feel compelled to add there are multiple volumes of Hitler's Tom Swift adventures against eugenics and the NWO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not A Hydroxyl Ion
Oct 10, 2007

Adventure!
Oh, wow. I don't think I have the inclination/discipline to read through the entire book, but I look forward to reading something by someone who does. How did you find this?

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

I can't remember the nickname, but the guy who Let's Read the Uber-Rational Harry Potter fanfic and that book about people who turn into rollercoasters (it's exactly as crazy as it sounds) should give this a try. To be honest, I mostly skipped the book quotes in his posts and read the comments he wrote.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
...Al Gore?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Not A Hydroxyl Ion posted:

Oh, wow. I don't think I have the inclination/discipline to read through the entire book, but I look forward to reading something by someone who does. How did you find this?

I was researching a big info-dump post I'm writing over in the aeronautical insanity thread in AI; it is going to be about airships, and I was just checking to see if a particular book was on Scribd.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
what

what

WHAT :psyboom:

You're sure this isn't like the Iron Dream?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think either Bill Hicks or Andy Kaufman wrote this.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
For some reason blonde blue eyed hitler on the cover is the funniest part for me

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I'm reading the first page. Hitler calls somebody "Mr. Professor Zeppelin" and I thought he was doing it sarcastically, but nope, that is the character's name

joke:

quote:

"Hold on! Wait! Don't try it now!" exclaimed Mr. Professor Zeppelin, who talked in short snappy sentences, which, however, said all he meant. "The fumes of that gas aren't good to breathe. Wait, until they have blown away. It won't be long. It's safer. The last thing we want is to have poison gas asso- ciated with our names!"

Oh, here comes the nanny state!!!

quote:

"Oh, what have we here?" exclaimed our hero. "Here comes Winnie Churchill, Joey Steele and Frankie Roosevelt. I wonder what they're heading this way for?" On the trio came, increasing their pace as they caught sight of Adolf. Winnie Churchill, a red-haired and squint-eyed lad, who was not only a sort of town bully, but privately held pro-Canadian views. He had a rich and indulgent British father, who was part of the Canadian Fifth column. However, young Winnie was not mature enough for his father to trust him with that fact yet, but still the child was openly a Douglas man. He was the first of the three rapscal- lions to reach the young inventor.
"How—how many did you kill?" panted Winnie.

"Shall we go for doctors?" asked Joey.

"Can we see what’s left?" blurted out Frankie, as he sat down on the grass be- ing completely winded from the run. Frankie was a weakly, feeble child.

"Killed? Doctors?" repeated Adolf, clearly much puzzled. "What are you three driving at, anyhow?"

"Wasn't there a lot of people killed in the explosion we heard?" demanded Winnie, in eager tones.

"Not a one," replied Adolf.

"There was an explosion!" exclaimed Frankie. "We heard it, and you can't fool us!"

"And we saw the smoke," added Steele.

"Yes, there was a small explosion," admitted Adolf, with a smile, "but no one was killed or even hurt. We don't have such things happen in our compound."

Another joke because something awful dot com loves jokes:

quote:

"I don't know that it's any of your business," Adolf came back at him sharply, "but, as everyone will soon know, I may as well tell you. We're building an air- ship."

"An airship?" exclaimed Joey and Frankie in one breath.

"An airship?" queried Winnie, and there was a sneer in his voice. "Well, that will go over like a Led Zeppelin, Adolf Hitler! You'll never build an airship even if you have a balloonist to help you!"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"Well, that will go over like a Led Zeppelin, Adolf Hitler!"

Mods please change my name to this sentence.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Chapter one was short, chapter 2 has a very long exposition of the previous "books" in the series, which may or may not exist - if the author is going for a Tom Swift adventure-book vibe then fake previous chapters is par for the course.

Also tee hee hee the airship floats with a gas made 'partially from hydrogen' IE it is Hydrogen Cyanide gas as used in the death camps

quote:

At the same time as our hero was explaining the virtues of vegetarianism, evil was being plotted in Ottawa. Tommy “The Needle” Douglas, 15th Prime Minister of the Dominion of Cana- da, paced back and forth in his office, hidden and buried 500 feet below the Leviathan Block on Parliament Hill, Ottawa. He was reading a report as his face turned pinker by the second. When his face reached the stage of beet red and his hands were cadaver-white he tore the tender fabric of the paper until it burst into shreds.

e: ho ho the next thing Douglas does is throw himself to the floor and literally munches some carpet for a few minutes. Jesus, I'm flagging here - I'm beginning to remember chapter 1 fondly

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jun 23, 2015

chessmaster13
Jan 10, 2015
Is this worth a read?
How is the general tone of the story, more lighthearted or does it take itself seriously?
Is the writing decent?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

chessmaster13 posted:

Is this worth a read?
How is the general tone of the story, more lighthearted or does it take itself seriously?
Is the writing decent?

Honestly, no to all three questions, even the second one, where it doesn't make sense. It's central premise is "If Hitler hadn't existed or been a good guy, everybody would recognize the evil of Universal Health care, as UHC would have ended in the holocaust." Had the author tried to stick to this premise a little seriously, it might have been amusingly insane, but he's constantly nodding and winking and all tee hee hee, this is a joke, and the book wore out my patience immediately, even from the perspective of somebody trying to find dumb poo poo to quote in this thread.

If you have the patience to go mining for comedy, have at it, but yeah, no, it is not good.

chessmaster13
Jan 10, 2015

Nebakenezzer posted:

Honestly, no to all three questions, even the second one, where it doesn't make sense. It's central premise is "If Hitler hadn't existed or been a good guy, everybody would recognize the evil of Universal Health care, as UHC would have ended in the holocaust." Had the author tried to stick to this premise a little seriously, it might have been amusingly insane, but he's constantly nodding and winking and all tee hee hee, this is a joke, and the book wore out my patience immediately, even from the perspective of somebody trying to find dumb poo poo to quote in this thread.

If you have the patience to go mining for comedy, have at it, but yeah, no, it is not good.

Thank you for the honest answer.
Mining for comedy can surly be done, but I'm not buying shares in an unprofitable comedy quarry.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
Oh my god there's a sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chessmaster13
Jan 10, 2015

Stroth posted:

Oh my god there's a sequel.

I had a quick look inside. The horror, it's so awful.
People say that a book enables you to have a look inside an authors head.
If that's true i need to bleach my inner eye.

• Locked thread