Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

drat these rumbles are not very exciting.

Not having two guys screaming and the lack of the fake sound effects does take a bit of the drama away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Nice to see that Ghost Raptor is still bad.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

keevo posted:

Nice to see that Ghost Raptor is still bad.

It's like they didn't even test that awful spinning weapon before going into the fight with it.

Drowning In Terror
Dec 10, 2008
It's probably just leftover damage from its last beat-down, looked unbalanced from the start.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah it was dismantled really badly in the series, they probably just didn't care about the rumbles enough to fix it properly.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Great Beer posted:

Not having two guys screaming and the lack of the fake sound effects does take a bit of the drama away.

On the other hand, I can watch the match without muting the audio.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I watched the latest season of Robot Wars, wanted more, and checked out the new season of Battlebots, and it's so underwhelming. Back in the early days of Battlebots they had to put in so much filler to spice things up because early robot fights weren't that unimpressive, but now the fights are actually interesting, but they still waste my time with all of this pointless filler and don't even show half the fights! What's the deal with that?!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

SlothfulCobra posted:

I watched the latest season of Robot Wars, wanted more, and checked out the new season of Battlebots, and it's so underwhelming. Back in the early days of Battlebots they had to put in so much filler to spice things up because early robot fights weren't that unimpressive, but now the fights are actually interesting, but they still waste my time with all of this pointless filler and don't even show half the fights! What's the deal with that?!

At least they put all the fights on youtube, including the ones they didn't show on TV.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

At the very least, the new season's non-fight filler builds up the narrative better, since you don't get so overwhelmed by what's happening in 4 (?) different weight divisions.

landofcake
May 7, 2009

CANNONBALL TAFFY O' JONES!!!
Battlebots just needs more British whimsy like Robot Wars, with the builders wives appearing in the pits with homemade sausage rolls.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I will say though I was kinda annoyed how apparently ALL the female roboteers in Robot Wars were moral and logistical support? I mean moral and logistical support is stupid important but I'd rather have seen a more diverse contribution set.

Then again maybe I'm just spoiled because I had a (kinda creepy in retrospect? but eh I was like 10-12) crush on Lisa Winter back in the day. A cool girl (she's a couple years older than me and you know how kids find anyone older than them 'cool') who builds and drives robots!?

Keiya fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Sep 13, 2016

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Keiya posted:

I will say though I was kinda annoyed how apparently ALL the female roboteers in Robot Wars were moral and logistical support? I mean moral and logistical support is stupid important but I'd rather have seen a more diverse contribution set.

Then again maybe I'm just spoiled because I had a (kinda creepy in retrospect? but eh I was like 10-12) crush on Lisa Winter back in the day. A cool girl (she's a couple years older than me and you know how kids find anyone older than them 'cool') who builds and drives robots!?

It's a bit jarring in comparison to BB since their female led teams got pretty far (though there was less focus on the supporting members so who knows how may women were "logistical support"). They got so far, there were (not many) people who claimed a bias towards the female led teams due to how decisions went. This is mostly due to the fact that Mega Tento and Chomp both looked to do very little from a viewer's perspective, but technically did a lot by the judge's standpoint (at least that's the assumption)

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I mean chomp literally KOed incapacitated her opponent in 2 of her 3 wins so those people are also just loving dumb.

E: I forgot Biteforce was a decision win, but also an obvious one. I'm not exactly sure what happened vs Disk-O but it's possible the hammer took out the disk there too

Jump King fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Sep 13, 2016

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I mean they don't get to choose their contestants. I do hope to see more women in the next series though. Deb Cook from Chompalot did write a blogpost about her role on the team.
http://www.chompalot.co.uk/herstory-rewritten.htm

I didn't disagree with any of the Chomp rulings incidentally, landing a fatal shot to the opponent's weapon system should probably qualify as a win.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I get it when people were thinking it was a lucky shot, but once you hear that it was automatic because it was programmed to take a shot when it was the right distance from the chains I don't see how you can disagree.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah you gotta suspect that the automatic weapons system and its series of 'lucky shots' are linked. I think it could be a real contender if they sort the stability issues for next year.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like there's a lot of bad judging this season too. A lot of bad robots got chosen for wildcards, and disco inferno got robbed.

Do the killsaws do anything anymore? The slits for them are still there, but they don't seem to be coming out.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

Do the killsaws do anything anymore? The slits for them are still there, but they don't seem to be coming out.

They come out all the time, but they rarely do poo poo other than cut the occasional wheel.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
They work but do exactly nothing, really.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Sadly a result of taking control away from the hazard operator because of some details of ABCs gameshow rules rules. I'm hoping next season the contestants will get to control all of them so they can come into play more often.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yeah you gotta suspect that the automatic weapons system and its series of 'lucky shots' are linked. I think it could be a real contender if they sort the stability issues for next year.

In order to do real damage with a hammer-bot, both Beta and Chomp used electro-magnetic anchors to allow them to swing with more than 250lbs of force. Chomp just relied much more on its electro-magnets. At least Beta is bottom heavy enough to land properly on a non-magnetic floor, but Chomp flails like an idiot on any non-magnetic surface. I'm not sure why Chomp is so tall. The pneumatic axe takes up a lot of room , but other people have built pneumatic axe bots that are much lower to the ground.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Chomp is actually really bottom heavy. A big difference is that Beta has an electrical hammer and can power their swings down a bit, whereas Chomp is basically swinging at full force every time.

They should get rid of their flamethrower though.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yeah you gotta suspect that the automatic weapons system and its series of 'lucky shots' are linked.

You can see it in that last match Chomp lost. It couldn't penetrate the armor, but it was nailing its opponent right about the same spot every time. You can write it off in their other bouts because it only needed one "lucky" shot to incapacitate the opponent.

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

golden bubble posted:

In order to do real damage with a hammer-bot, both Beta and Chomp used electro-magnetic anchors to allow them to swing with more than 250lbs of force. Chomp just relied much more on its electro-magnets. At least Beta is bottom heavy enough to land properly on a non-magnetic floor, but Chomp flails like an idiot on any non-magnetic surface. I'm not sure why Chomp is so tall. The pneumatic axe takes up a lot of room , but other people have built pneumatic axe bots that are much lower to the ground.

Both of them had plans to use electromagnets, but the Battlebox floor was not conductive enough for them to work. There was a thick layer of paint on top of the arena this time, and the metal below was in multiple thin layers instead of one big layer. Another robot had a propulsion system entirely driven by electromagnets on the floor, and they had to withdraw because it didn't work.

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

SlothfulCobra posted:

Battlebots and Robot Wars have always had the same amount of filler. In Battlebots it's all the stuff between the fights. In Robot Wars it's most of the fights themselves being bland.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Alright, as I go through the series, I'm adding Lockjaw to my robbed by the judges list.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

What else is on your list so I can tell you that you're wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Whole Internet posted:

Both of them had plans to use electromagnets, but the Battlebox floor was not conductive enough for them to work. There was a thick layer of paint on top of the arena this time, and the metal below was in multiple thin layers instead of one big layer. Another robot had a propulsion system entirely driven by electromagnets on the floor, and they had to withdraw because it didn't work.

Why the arena drawings aren't provided is beyond me.

• Locked thread