Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seasonal Candles
Aug 5, 2015

Metaprocesses bloom like cancer, and awaken, and call themselves I

DismemberedLemon posted:

I agree, it's goony to think that having children miss meals is a bad thing.

Children missing meals is obviously only solvable by taking the children out of the equation and not the poverty that makes them miss meals.

Grade A logic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Seasonal Candles posted:

Children missing meals is obviously only solvable by taking the children out of the equation and not the poverty that makes them miss meals.

Grade A logic

Wanting America to take proper care of the less fortunate is not mutually exclusive with wanting people to hold off on making babies until they can afford another mouth to feed. Eliminating food insecurity will take years in the best-case scenario (especially in red states). Choosing not to breed beyond one's means is something people can do right now (though there's still plenty of room for improvement in giving people the means to implement that choice).

Besides, there have been actual scientific studies showing that growing up in severe poverty can substantially impair mental development. I see nothing unreasonable with suggesting that people try to avoid putting children through that (unless you're using "if you can't afford kids, don't have them" as an argument against government aid for children born into poverty, in which case you can go straight to hell).

• Locked thread