Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Alain Post posted:

bitterness is not an endearing quality

Nothin' to be bitter about. They snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. It just makes me roll my eyes out of my sockets to see that kind of pretentious attitude over something like video games, doubly so when I see a lot of hard working developers here on the forums and elsewhere taking time to try to produce a good product. I think time in the low levels of the music industry also left me especially tired of the holier-than-thou artist types. Really though it's only worth having fun being nasty about it for one night before it's forgotten about tomorrow since that's about the impact of their works.

Mingus Dew posted:

Didn't one of their Patreons say something along the lines of "teaching you how to hate videogames" or some such pretentious BS like that?

Look, I get hating your job, I do, but there's something to be said about staying in it for an extended period of time, quitting it, and then asking people to pay you to talk poo poo about it.

I mean come on. Look at this. Actually, maybe they could make a great chunk of money by hammering that line of poo poo into the ground and riding the controversy train. But that demands some degree of self-awareness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mingus Dew
Dec 30, 2013

Finally, a good reason to punch a teenager in the face!

Black August posted:

I mean come on. Look at this. Actually, maybe they could make a great chunk of money by hammering that line of poo poo into the ground and riding the controversy train. But that demands some degree of self-awareness.

The fact we live in a society where anyone could laud this and have it result in profits of any kind is staggering.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

"From the Gamasutra article posted:

We worked hard on presenting a gentler Tale of Tales to the public. Which basically meant that Michaël was forbidden to talk in public and Auriea often just smiled at the camera, parroting words whispered in her ears by communication coaches. Didn’t make a difference.

Lol literally "We hate our demographic so much we had to stop ourselves from coming off as cunts". Hint: If you have no respect for your audience then they'll have no respect for you.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Alain Post posted:

This is getting off-topic but I think this happens because, like you say, the developers don't like video games as a medium- or at least, they don't like the mechanical parts of video games, because that's the boring bits. And that's why you get games, both indie artgame, and AAA blockbuster, where the writing and mechanics are two spheres that don't intersect except in the most barely functional ways.
For AAA videogames, I think it's less 'we hate video games' and more 'we have no pride in games.' The Citizen Kane of gaming school of thought, where they're desperate for recognition from more established types of storytelling like movies or books, so they ignore the strengths of their own medium to try and be more like them.

Someone on this forum, I forget who - ImpAtom? - put it pretty well when they said a lot of games writing is like making a movie and then just making the audio of it a radio play. It might still be enjoyable, even good, but you're barely using half of what you have at your disposal.

I don't really have high standards for gameplay/plot interconnection, there should just be something. Even if it's something minor like having an endgame boss with really high stats pop up near the beginning of an RPG to chase you around. It's not that deep but it's at least taking advantage of your medium, and the language of it. A few moments like that and I'm satisfied.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jun 25, 2015

• Locked thread