Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Junkozeyne posted:

Of course that depends on Bacarruda and Danaru responding and/or confirming the orders.

I'm down. My men will follow Junko's plan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonotoneMorgan
Nov 20, 2013

The saddest day in Octavian's life was the day he was asked to shave his mustache.
Let's send a shock to the Soviet war machine that will rock its very foundations! :unsmigghh:

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

3/ErP112 attempts Recovery: 1 (die roll) + 1 (4 or more hexes away from the enemy) = 2 - attempt unsuccessful!
The rest of the 2nd Battalion arrive late and hurry to reach the front lines. They stop at the Gravel Pits. The sole company of the ErP112 is still awaiting replacements, but they do not seem to be coming.

Colonel Pajari rallies the men north of the bridge to lead a counterattack against the Soviets on Kotisaari. This pincer manoeuvre is risky, but it may yield great rewards if executed properly. The two companies and machine guns left behind to guard the flank begin to entrench.

More forces are drawn in from Tolvajarvi and repositioned on Kotisaari to take part in the attack. A company from Valisaari goes south to flank the Soviet remnants on the southern tip of the island. Its scouts report that there are still a lot of Reds south of the bridge, but none seem to be moving on the southern shore of the lake.

Wherever you have troops adjacent to an enemy unit, you may now declare a Combat against the enemy hex.

The sequence shall proceed as follows:

- Danaru will declare which hexes you wish to attack (with combats and non-supporting Ranged Attacks) and in what sequence,
- If a unit is adjacent to more than one attacked hex, its Battalion Commander decides which of the hexes it will be attacking (if any), or, if you don't want a unit to participate in the attack, they will also be expected to announce it,
- Danaru and the Regimental Commanders will assign their indirect-firing units (mortars, artillery) to any specific attacks (as Support or non-Support), and whether or not they should be fired before or after a Combat they're supporting (sometimes you can pick off a retreating unit this way, but rarely),
- Battalion Commanders decide which of their direct-firinig units (infantry, MGs, others) fire at which target hex (if a given unit can only hit one target hex, I'll consider it to be firing by default, and I will also consider all direct-firing units without assigned targets to be firing at any hex they have a chance to cause a step reduction to - I won't show those rolls in the combat log unless they knock down a step, though).

- The Soviets allocate their Defensive Support. They will be informed how many fire missions you've allocated as Combat Support (split into direct and indirect), but not what units will be firing.

- I roll all the dice,

- Battalion Commanders decide how they want to advance, retreat or take step losses as a result of the combats.

Now, you shouldn't be able to see the results of all combats before deciding how to allocate your losses, but until both sides get familiar with how retreats work, I'll keep it this way (it shouldn't last for more than a day).

Remember that any indirect-firing unit (infantry guns, mortars, artillery) gets flipped to its "Fired" side after shooting, and it won't flip back until your next Reset Phase - i.e. it won't be able to provide defensive support during the Soviet turn. You currently have enough 76mm munitions for two fire missions. More is promised at dawn.

You have 48 hours. Let's see if we can make it in time this time around.

The main weapon the Soviets will use in their defence of Kotisaari will be this: the legendary Mosin rifle (in the West usually called Mosin-Nagant). I wrote some words about it when I did my No Retreat LP, so let's grab some recycled content!

No Retreat LP posted:

Seeing how we've made it so far, I guess a couple words on your average infantryman's weapon would be in order. Say hello to the Mosin-Nagant 1891/30. This gun, like many rifles used during World War II, was developed in the late 19th century, but has since been updated several times. As the name implies, the current version was designed in 1930 (and subsequently modified again to make it easier to produce) and was instantly introduced as standard issue for Red Army front-line troops. An accurate, reliable and easy to maintain weapon, the Mosin-Nagant was the rifle of choice for Soviet snipers - for whom were reserved the models that turned out to be particularly accurate during test shootings. The sniper version used a different bolt handle that was longer and bent in order to allow the shooter to work it without the scope interfering. Soviet snipers used either locally designed scopes or Carl Zeiss knockoffs with 3.5-4x power magnification.

However, the catch here is that the Finns would basically use the same thing, except different. Say hello to the M27.

Following the Finnish independence, the country was left with staggering numbers of Mosin 1891/30. It was a natural choice as the main battle rifle of the army. With time, the design was further refined, even though new rifles had to be ordered from Switzerland and Germany. The most prominent model during the Winter War was the M27, designed to be more sturdy and comfortable in use than its Soviet counterparts. The weapon was made 15 centimetres shorter to save on weight, and metal "wings" were added to the bolt and receiver to protect the sights.

However, Finnland had a LOT of variants of this weapon. For starters, cavalry forces were issued their own carbine models, distinguished by the abbreviation "rv" (short for raatsuvaki - "mounted force") at the end of the designation. The Army and the White Guards (a state-run militia force) also ran off separate versions of the weapons (and kept butting heads over whose was better). Simo Hayha used an M28/30, an improved version of the White Guard rifle with better iron sights (he never used a scope, he was just that badass). An improved version of the rifle, the M/39, was already designed during the war, but it did not replace the M27 until the Continuation War. At that point, it became the main Finnish combat rifle and it would remain that way until the 1960s, when it was replaced with a licensed version of a Polish AK47 knock-off. Which is in use until today. And poo poo, the Finns have revamped the Mosin into a modernized designated marksman weapon, which is still in use today. Some of those Tkiv 85 rifles use receivers removed from rifles seized when the Finns split off from the Russian Empire. What the gently caress, Finland.

Ivan Chesnokov posted:

EVERY SURPLUS RIFLE WITH BOLT ACTION IS CHEAP SOME TIME IN HISTORY. MOSIN NAGANT RIFLE IS MOST NUMEROUS OF ALL INFANTRY RIFLE. IT IS RIFLE THAT WINS OCTOBER REVOLUTION. IT IS RIFLE THAT CARRIES INFANTRY OF ALLIED FORCES IN EUROPE THROUGH GREAT PATRIOTIC WAR. MOSIN NAGANT RIFLE SERVES FOR MORE THAN CENTURY, OLD STOLEN RUSSIAN RECEIVER IS STILL USE BY SNIPER OF FINNISH ARMY.

YOU CAN BE HAPPY WITH 40,000 ROUBLE RIFLE WITH NO HISTORY AND PLASTIC STOCK WHO KILLS PAPER TARGET AND DEER WITH NO WEAPON OR FIGHTING HEART.

I CAN BE HAPPY WITH 2,000 ROUBLE RIFLE THAT IS ARTIFACT OF MILITARY HISTORY AND KILLS TSARIST AND NAZI ALIKE.

JOY OF HAVING MOSIN NAGANT RIFLE IS JOY THAT MONEY CANNOT AFFORD.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
So, some confusion on the battlefield but that is part of war I guess. So our targets are the companies on Kotisaari, anything else? Ranged Combat at Hernesaari? Mortar Fire and/or Artillery would help against the 2 companies on Kotisaari to shift it in our favor.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Junkozeyne posted:

So, some confusion on the battlefield but that is part of war I guess. So our targets are the companies on Kotisaari, anything else? Ranged Combat at Hernesaari? Mortar Fire and/or Artillery would help against the 2 companies on Kotisaari to shift it in our favor.

These sound good. And I'm also happy to drop mortar shells on the two companies on Kotisaari, since I don't think the Soviets will want to attack on a night turn--their frostbite casualties will exceed whatever they do to us.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I just need to know if you're going to fire the artillery then. If I don't hear anything by the time I'm home tomorrow, I'll assume you're not.

EDIT: also, let me know who attacks whom exactly. This is specifically a question to Bacarruda and Junko, since they're the only ones with an actual choice in the matter.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Oh yeah, 2/1/JR16 attacks the single stack to the south, the other 2 attack the stacked infantry of course. Can the MG on the bridge give supporting fire or are they blocked by 4/2/JR16?

edit: Nevermind, they are in an ezoc.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Artillery will have to stay silent on this one, we've only got two barrages until sun up.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD

Danaru posted:

Artillery will have to stay silent on this one, we've only got two barrages until sun up.

The Night Turn is one turn, and we can't really effectively use arty overnight anyway (-2 to ranged attacks). I petition you to reconsider!

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Danaru posted:

We need artillery support for this attack, and using at night will be difficult. Please reconsider.

My units will attack along the yellow and fire along the red

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Yeah, we're putting a number of units on the line here, and if this attack were to fail we stand to lose about as much as we'd win. I'd like to see as much support as possible.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
poo poo, I forgot how heavy the night penalties were. In that case we'll direct one salvo at each target

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Sorry, but I already passed on to the Soviets that only the mortars and the MGs will fire, and forgot to inform you about it. My bad.

EDIT: Besides, right now your artillery only stands to even suppress on a roll of 11+. I don't think it'd change much.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Sensing the weakness of the Soviet force on Kotisaari, the Finns push out from all directions to try a counterattack that could stem the Red tide. However, the orders are confused, and the darkness makes the Finnish forces in the middle of the island attack the wrong enemy, with two companies pressing south, rather than a flanking manoeuvre against the stronger Soviet force in the northeast.

Finnish attack against 1/1/509 and 4/2/609 on Kotisaari Island (L22)
Support fire for the attackers:
Mtr/JR16 firing in support:
4 (RAS)+2 (infantry companies in the target hex) -1 (Dusk Turn) +(2+1) (dice roll) =8 - no effect!

Support fire for the defenders:

IG/364 firing in support:
3 (RAS) +1 (infantry companies in the target hex) +1 (Finns on ice) -1 +(5+4)=13 - no effect!

Mtr/364 firing in support: 5 (RAS) +1+1-1+(4+5)=15 - Attackers Suppressed!

1xSoviet 76mm artillery FIRING in support: 5 (RAS) +1+1-1+(1+2)=9 - no effect!

Combat odds: 14 (4/2/JR16 and 2/1/JR16 attacking from the ice, 1/PPP7 and 3/PPP7 attacking from land):6 -> 2:1, shifted +1 for Pajari, -1 for Suppression, -1 for Soviet Morale Bonus - final odds 1:1
Roll: 6+2 - 1 loss for the attackers, 1 loss for the defenders.

Danaru, as you're the highest ranking officer involved, you need to decide who takes the losses. Since you're the attackers, you must take your loss as a step reduction to one unit (you could retreat if you had more losses, but alas). Please choose the unit to be reduced.

Finnish attack against 1/1/609 in the south of Kotisaari Island (K23)
Support fire for the defenders:
MG/ErP9 firing:
4+1-1+(1+6)=11 - no effect!

Combat odds: 12:3 -> 4:1, shifted +1 for concentric attack, -1 for Soviet Morale Bonus - final odds 4:1
Roll: 1+2 - 2 losses for the attackers, 1 loss for the defenders.

Bacarruda, since you're in charge of the largest number of your side's units in this combat, it's up to you to choose who is reduced. You may reduce Junkozeyne's company. The first loss must be taken as a step reduction, but you may choose to retreat all units one hex instead of taking another step loss.

Tevery Best fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 13, 2015

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Tevery, I think you forgot the Soviet Morale Bonus in the last battle. That turns that one into 2 losses for us, 1 loss for them.

Goddammit, was that a failure of strategy or a failure of odds?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Davin Valkri posted:

Tevery, I think you forgot the Soviet Morale Bonus in the last battle. That turns that one into 2 losses for us, 1 loss for them.

You're right! I'll fix it right away.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
So glad that not only the soviets can fail completely in an attack :shepicide:

Well the attack against the northern forces can be attributed to the confusion in orders, could have been 3:1 instead of 2:1 but the other situation is really really unlucky. 4:1 and we take more damage than them :negative:

MonotoneMorgan
Nov 20, 2013

The saddest day in Octavian's life was the day he was asked to shave his mustache.
Well darn. Still was the right move, just didn't work out for us this time.
At least we have the artillery on the defence now. This Night Turn will be definitely be very interesting.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

1/PPP7 will take a reduction. 1/PPP7 and 2/1/JR16 will retreat 1 hex to the NW.

8/3/JR37 will retreat to Okkolaansari.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Bacarruda posted:

1/PPP7 will take a reduction. 1/PPP7 and 2/1/JR16 will retreat 1 hex to the NW.

8/3/JR37 will retreat to Okkolaansari.

All units involved need to retreat, not just one stack, I'm afraid.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Don't forget that if you spend the night on the ice, then we run the risk of losing a step overnight. Although maybe the risk is better than the certainty.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
Oops, somehow I misremembered the rule about bonfires as meaning that even our units on the ice had to roll on the SZLT.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Oct 14, 2015

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Kangra posted:

Don't forget that if you spend the night on the ice, then we run the risk of losing a step overnight. Although maybe the risk is better than the certainty.

Actually, it looks like Finnish units only have to take night turn losses if we attack on the night turn. From the manual, page 20:

Red Winter manual posted:

During their night turns, Finnish units or stacks are marked with “Skull” markers for conducting a Combat, Assault, or Night Raid. At the conclusion of the night turn, each stack (and the definition of stack here can include a single unit) must roll on the SZLT for possible step reductions. If two or more stacks or units under Skull markers come to occupy the same hex at the end of their turn, the newly created stack receives a single Skull marker and rolls only once. Finnish units never receive Skull markers for being attacked during the Soviet player’s night turn Combat Phase; they only receive them for actions voluntarily performed during their own night turn

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Davin Valkri posted:

Even the MG unit?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Bacarruda posted:

Even the MG unit?

Oh, no, not the MG. The infantry companies, but not the ranged attackers.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Davin Valkri posted:

And he listed all retreats, so it's cool.

You will still get a chance to move before the sub-zero losses, so this is not an immediate problem, and if you don't fight in the night, you will be okay anyway.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Tevery Best posted:

And he listed all retreats, so it's cool.

Oh, phooey, I misread the post. Sorry. Baccaruda.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I have a bunch of work. I'll try to update on Sunday.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

The combat in the northern end of the island stalls to a halt thanks to a ferocious Soviet defence. Finnish casualties are severe, although the Soviets, fighting with their backs to the wall, die in droves. The 4/2/609 is utterly wiped out in the fight, with scant few survivors ending up either in Finnish captivity, freezing to death somewhere in the woods, or integrated into other Soviet units. The company died out of supply, thus it is not eligible to be reconstituted.

Danaru didn't speak up, so I picked the company to be reduced randomly.

Further south, a confused engagement breaks out wherein 2/PPP7 is again battered. The Finns break off the advance and begin to withdraw, but even that is enough to break the Soviet company on the island. A couple of minutes after the fight ends, the troops rout, mistaking the sound of their own artillery for opening shots of a new Finnish attack. The officers in charge re-establish order, but no sooner than the company had abandoned its positions.

The turn ends.

Victory Determination Phase
No side controls the entirety of the main road. Soviets are still at 10 VP.

Weather Report
Current weather: mild snow. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

As this is a Night Turn, your vision is reduced to one hex. This means that most direct-fire ranged attacks are impossible. Artillery and Adjacent Defensive Support suffers a -2 dice roll modifier.

The temperature drops like a stone. At the end of the turn, there will be a Sub-Zero Loss Phase. All Soviet stacks not under a Bonfire marker will have a 50% chance of having one unit in the stack suffer a step reduction. All your stacks that attack during your turn will have a 33% chance of suffering the same. In both cases, units in Frozen Lake hexes have an increased chance of suffering a Sub-Zero Loss.

The Soviets receive no Replacements.

The Soviet morale bonus continues, but it will end after this turn!

The Soviets take their actions now. Stand by and wait for their results.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Tevery Best posted:

Current weather: mild snow. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

>light lantern

MonotoneMorgan
Nov 20, 2013

Junkozeyne posted:

>light lantern

>night raid

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

>Use Grue on Soviets

--You have rolled snake eyes. The Grue eats you instead. YOU HAVE DIED. You have scored 1 out of infinite VP.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

So, uh, what's holding up the Soviets? It's been about two weeks now. Any response from the reds? Did we win by default?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Two of them have quit and I have not been able to find any replacements thus far. I'm afraid the enthusiasm has subsided a bit.

MonotoneMorgan
Nov 20, 2013

Are we able to jump ship if that'll help out?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Honestly I don't think I can muster all that much out of myself at this point. I'd say we're better off letting it slide; I have an MA thesis to write and an occasional job, so delays and long updating would have been the norm rather than an exception.

If/when I'll have some more time to work with, I might restart this or go for something new. But that's a matter of months at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheezer
Apr 4, 2011
Hah, Finland wasn't run over by the Russians by the time the game ended. That counts as a win! It did historically too! :finland:

• Locked thread