Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

City of Tampa posted:

one or two visible tattoos that are not on your face or neck should be OK, but LOL at anyone over 18 that has any kind of non-ear piercings. that poo poo is ridiculous, disgusting, and childish looking.

I am 25 tomorrow, and I have a septum piercing

:whatup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

its probably contextual on second thought, if you're talented, accomplished, and respected in your field anything short of gang signs tattooed on your face is just going to make the office look young and hip, if you're as smart as you sound on GBS you should probably avoid getting any body modifications since you will need all the help you can get

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Moridin920 posted:

i bet that everybody at the methadone clinic thinks it looks really cool

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

if you're as smart as you sound on GBS you should probably avoid getting any body modifications since you will need all the help you can get

lol

Moridin920 posted:

Fair enough. Counterpoint: the Demonachizer post above this one.

How much less likely?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Knyteguy posted:

how much less likely?

probably varies by field and location but unless you really feel a strong urge to get visible tattoos I don't see why someone would take the disadvantage.

City of Tampa posted:

i bet that everybody at the methadone clinic thinks it looks really cool

Nah you can just flip them up during work and no one knows you have it. Besides I'm the boss in this fuckin' office so if they don't like it I don't care.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I wanna see the party animal that wouldn't promote people for being too suntanned

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I wanna see the party animal that wouldn't promote people for being too suntanned

I mean you realize most bosses in the white collar world are basically Bill Lumbergh right?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Moridin920 posted:

I mean you realize most bosses in the white collar world are basically Bill Lumbergh right?

I spent most of a decade in federal contracting which is about as white-collar as it gets and all my bosses were black chicks and Pakistani immigrants who really didn't give a poo poo what you looked like so long as you showed up on time, did what you were told, and wore what could be generously defined as "business casual". Some of the most senior guys I worked under had like full armband biker tats and wanted to talk about all the guns they had stashed everywhere

sorry about your career in Pighole Alabama man

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I spent most of a decade in federal contracting which is about as white-collar as it gets and all my bosses were black chicks and Pakistani immigrants who really didn't give a poo poo what you looked like so long as you showed up on time, did what you were told, and wore what could be generously defined as "business casual". Some of the most senior guys I worked under had like full armband biker tats and wanted to talk about all the guns they had stashed everywhere

sorry about your career in Pighole Alabama man

Somehow I don't think you are describing the norm though dude.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

This is not a problem for muslimesas living under islamofacisim.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

bradzilla posted:

hi i'm inri i post boring whitenoise threads about things i think will rile up goons in gbs :D

Inri, you have never been funny. Please get sterilized, lest your terrible "sense of humor" get somehow passed on

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Moridin920 posted:

Somehow I don't think you are describing the norm though dude.

the norm for what

you think google isn't 'the norm', you think the federal government isn't 'the norm', what is the soul-crushing white-collar office job you are dressing up for, do you base your insights on normal on an intensive study of Mad Men and 90s comedies

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks
I think the word "visible" is relative, and that is throwing people off. In a hypothetical madmen office, men all wear suits, so "visible" means face and hands. In a business casual setting, visible could mean forearms, too. At google, throw in calves. If I have a forearm tattoo in a business casual office with my sleeves rolled up, but I wear a jacket for meetings, is it "visible"?

I've also seen some really subtle hand tattoos which I wouldn't have noticed if they hadn't been pointed out to me.

Worrying about other people's job opportunities is a pretty strange thing to do, regardless. Laugh at tattoos for being stupid or laugh at tattooed people for looking terrible, sure, but it's a bit presumptuous to say you know more about a person's business culture more than they do. Every business is different in that regard, and some entire industries don't give a gently caress.

Edit: Also, I feel sorry for Moridin920. It looks like he works in a terrible area and it is all he knows.

ScratchAndSniff fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 24, 2015

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
Lol only pwt and nonwhites get tattoos

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
holy poo poo is this thread bad

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
tatoos are for faggots or girls

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

The times are changing though, so it's a lot easier to get a good paying job with tattoos. Friend of mine got a job with 3D printer stuff and making good money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khNQFmXlpt4

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

lol

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

dad gay. so what posted:

tatoos are for faggots or girls

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

the norm for what

you think google isn't 'the norm', you think the federal government isn't 'the norm', what is the soul-crushing white-collar office job you are dressing up for, do you base your insights on normal on an intensive study of Mad Men and 90s comedies

I don't think black and Pakistani women in charge is the norm for federal office work. And Google is the norm but what I was saying is those two dudes in that random picture could be random tech support geeks for all I know. They aren't in charge of anything.

Besides the whole techie field is obv trending towards a younger crowd I think it is disingenuous to pick techie offices as an example of a typical white collar office.

ScratchAndSniff posted:

Edit: Also, I feel sorry for Moridin920. It looks like he works in a terrible area and it is all he knows.

All I'm saying that for certain fields, like accountants, lawyers, doctors, most office jobs, etc., it is dumb to have visible tattoos because you're seen as unprofessional and it could adversely affect your career.

I think that any reasonable person would agree :shrug: I live in Southern California I don't think it gets more lax than this.

I don't understand how you can see the posts in this thread going 'tattoos are for idiots' and simultaneously think there isn't a good chunk of people wouldn't be cool with a doctor that had a neck tattoo.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 24, 2015

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
My dragon age 2 tattoo is easily visible, and people love it

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

The problem with tattoos is most of them now look terrible and ugly people get lots of them or pretty people get ugly ones thanks god bless

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
tattoos are almost always stupid and ugly as poo poo worn by really white kids

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

why don't those barbed wired arm tats come back? that was a good look

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

this is my favorite tatoo for white people

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

That Article You DUmbshit posted:

The following presidents have been strongly rumored to have tattoos but we don’t have any pictures or hard evidence supporting the claims. So consider this to be a list of presidents who were most likely tattooed.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

ThaGrandCow posted:

Get this man to law school STAT! Or maybe doctor school.

How the gently caress do you eat with this poo poo

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Moridin920 posted:

literally nobody has ever looked good with one (and it makes attractive people look stupid) why do people get them

lol the tattoos are cool guy would never look like that.

Also I think a sizable majority of people sub-30 have tattoos make of that what you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Groovelord Neato posted:

literally nobody has ever looked good with one (and it makes attractive people look stupid) why do people get them

it's a convenient place to attach a chain and lead em around

• Locked thread