Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Deki posted:

visual studio is pretty loving boss.

probably microsoft's finest software. excel is good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

thathonkey posted:

probably microsoft's finest software. excel is good too.

Agreed

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Microsoft open sourcing a ton of their tech was a great idea on their part. There's thousands of nerds out there that will happily work on MS's code for free. Visual Studio Community Edition own though.

lite frisk
Oct 5, 2013

Rutibex posted:

just use open office for free, your just writing poo poo down how much difference could there be?

look you need to deeply reexamine your life if you can tolerate open office's pathetic lovely header and lack of features after using excel 2013.

it's actually $5/month for just one person, :10bux: for five and if you can't afford that then you probably have bigger issues than which office software you're using and i'm unironically sorry and hope things get better :(

TheSkeletonMan
Feb 24, 2011

excel is actually the worst because i work with morons who use it as a database.and barely know how to use it properly, and definitely don't know when to not use it

literally have business-critical 700-line macros at my work

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Where we're going, we don't need Mincraft 2. *puts on hololens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgakdcEzVwg&t=152s

but... whats the point?

lite frisk
Oct 5, 2013

TheSkeletonMan posted:

excel is actually the worst because i work with morons who use it as a database.and barely know how to use it properly, and definitely don't know when to not use it

literally have business-critical 700-line macros at my work

spreadsheets don't kill people. . .

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
Do you think i can get married to powershell?

Powershell > BASH , bring it unix beards.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

NihilismNow posted:

Do you think i can get married to powershell?

Powershell > BASH , bring it unix beards.

is it better than zsh :colbert:

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Powershell lets you script it with C# and all the .Nets. There is no hope of anything in nix land topping that, its not even going to try.

* goes back to working on a bash script * :(

TheSkeletonMan
Feb 24, 2011

Korthal
May 26, 2011

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

the only people i know who run linux are like slightly pathetic compsci people and they still run windows for them games

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
linux is super great and important... for like servers and poo poo. for "personal computing" it makes no sense.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

thathonkey posted:

linux is super great and important... for like servers and poo poo. for "personal computing" it makes no sense.

You weren't touched (by autism).

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

satanic splash-back posted:

You weren't touched (by autism).

tickled by the 'tism

sexy cougar on the prowl
Dec 31, 2008
I like how microsoft re-purposes its brands for everything.

All gaming is now xbox for windows.

All voice chat is now skype.

Lets make our new browser and personal assistant named after stuff in halo.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
When every you go back through old computer/tech media stuff from 10 to 20 years ago it now seems super quaint to see how much people hate Bill Gates and love Steve Jobs.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

kiwid posted:

the poor has been spotted.

being poor is not a sin

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

opus111 posted:

being poor is not a sin

actually in america it is

lite frisk
Oct 5, 2013

Ratjaculation posted:

but... whats the point?

this poo poo is actually gonna be super cool if/when it's implemented for useful non-video game poo poo. you would no longer be limited by your screen size/number of screens for workflow organization.

a more tactile/spatial organisation of tabs/documents would mean you would have a better memory of where what things are and wouldn't get lost as often when comparing data between a whole bunch of poo poo for example, be able to more easily take a bird-eye view of things.

it's also gonna bring in a pop-up ad renaissance, marketers should be getting wet just thinking about it.

goodbye screens, we hardly knew ye.
:byewhore:

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

thathonkey posted:

actually in america it is

i have taken a personal vow to point this out every time i see somebody in gbs sneering about money.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

Prorat posted:

Well Apple sucks and I don't have autism so I can't use Linux. What else is there?

lol apple

http://www.forbes.com/sites/abigailtracy/2015/06/25/apple-yanks-war-games-that-feature-the-confederate-flag-from-app-store/

:mmmhmm:

TheWeepingHorse
Nov 20, 2009

My two cents on Apple vs. Microsoft: Steve Jobs' death had nothing to do with it. after around OS X Snow Leopard or so, the quality of Apple computers had pretty much stabilized. As long as your machine worked, there wasn't really a huge reason to upgrade. Apple then focused its attention on iOS devices, which made sense. That's where the market growth was.

The problem, however, was that while consumers were happy to stay on an upgrade treadmill for iPhones, their feelings were more lukewarm with regard to iPads. Many people were content to stick with their old iPads, rather than pony up for a new one with slightly better specs.

Further, Apple seemed to stop taking itself seriously when it came to plain old office/productivity software. Was Numbers Apple's last attempt to compete with Excel? Yeaaaaaahhhh.

No, Microsoft realized, more effectively than Apple, that since people are already using productivity software anyhow, then you might as well make it as "cool" and usable as humanly possible.

All of this gave Microsoft a much-needed opportunity to not only rejigger their whole philosophy, but also to actually implement it. Microsoft figured that their best bet would be to marry productivity with touchscreens and pleasingly unified UIs. Microsoft was already the king of unsexy-but-vital software, so they used that momentum to dramatically improve Office, making it work splendidly across devices. They've made some mistakes along the way, but outside of Windows Phones, their mistakes have been generally less costly than their successes. Windows 8 was a huge problem, but Windows 8.1 is actually a rather good "quick fix", given finite resources. I still dislike the bifurcated universe of 8.x, but it does still very much work, especially on a touchscreen laptop.

I look forward to Windows 10. All I want is a more unified experience.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
I've always been a Microsoft bitch but wasn't entirely against ever using Apple until Steve Job's infamous article he wrote where he said "We won't allow Flash to run on our machines." (Note that it wasn't about Flash for me, it was the "allow to run" and "our machines" part.)

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

all I want is for windows 10 to offer me an option to completely wipe my drive and reinstall a fresh new clean copy of windows because my current laptop is full of poo poo.

Divine Styler
Apr 8, 2005

quantum mechanic

Germstore posted:

MS is open sourcing a lot of things. A lot.

True. I was working with a field engineer today, who showed me a ton of stuff they're throwing on GitHub. Lots of cool stuff with WMF 5.0, PowerShell DSC, etc. Visual Studio Online also now integrates w/ GitHub, opening up tons of cross-platform capabilities. It's p. cool IMO.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
BUT WHERE CHIEF

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Maldoror posted:

I've always been a Microsoft bitch but wasn't entirely against ever using Apple until Steve Job's infamous article he wrote where he said "We won't allow Flash to run on our machines." (Note that it wasn't about Flash for me, it was the "allow to run" and "our machines" part.)

why

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
*installs linux completely loving unironically.*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
microsoft just cut like 7500 jobs from their Windows Phone division. pretty cool now, not like before.

• Locked thread