Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Al-Saqr posted:

Although I already think I've pretty much cracked the case in a few hours, but something is telling me that I should at least strive to finish off the database before going to the chat.
Don't fret too much about it. If you think you've "cracked the case", most of the videos you have left are probably the really short ones that don't provide much info and are really hard to find. You get some more tools to explore the database after the chat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

They are clearly twins. They have the exact same timestamps in some scenes like when they are being interviewed in the red jacket like they are in different rooms being interviewed at the same time.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

I just want to say that I unintentionally broke the game right at the start and it still was a great ride. After watching the "murder" videos I typed in "kiss" completely on a whim. I think the second video for that keyword exposes the twins situation and opens up a lot of clues.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Pierogi posted:

I just want to say that I unintentionally broke the game right at the start and it still was a great ride. After watching the "murder" videos I typed in "kiss" completely on a whim. I think the second video for that keyword exposes the twins situation and opens up a lot of clues.

I hosed it up with "hosed" as my second search. Not only did it expose the twins situation, but also the affair with Simon. Still fun, though!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Yeah, if there's any complaint about this game, I'd say it's a little too easy to just stumble across one or two clips that spill the beans on everything. I can appreciate that they didn't want to artificially gate things, but maybe locking one or two clips behind a certain competition percentage (could have some sort of "corrupted data block" explanation in game) might not have been bad here.

It was still interesting even once I knew what went down, but like some other people, I found one of the clips that really explains most everything on like my fourth search.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Now that I've had some time to reflect on the game, I really think they made a game that was way too easy to unlock all the secrets behind the games story from the get go. I really wish the twist wasn't immediately available, I think they should've locked off certain clips until some kind of evidence system you have with you makes the case or shows the holes in her story step by step, if anything, this game should've been an FMV Pheonix Wright Interrogation sequence, with evidence, keywords, etc are the methods through which you unlock more incriminating clips.

It's still interesting, but I think it also could've been ALOT more interesting with some changes here and there.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

StarkRavingMad posted:

Yeah, if there's any complaint about this game, I'd say it's a little too easy to just stumble across one or two clips that spill the beans on everything.

Yeah, like searching for the second most obvious thing after what is pre-typed, i.e. her story.

Fun bit of trivia: the database in the game is named Cornerstone, presumably after the product that ruined Infocom (Barlow wrote Interactive Fiction, so he can't not be aware of that).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I played this tonight with the girlfriend and we both enjoyed it. I think that everything not making 100% sense is thematically on point since the game let's you know it's not going to give you the whole picture.

As for the story, I'm in the split personality camp; however, I haven't slept on it. What's the more impressive thing to me is that it had two distinct narrative focus changes. The first was the shift from "hey this is a murder mystery" to "what is the deal with this woman?" The fact that Simon has been murdered is easily secondary or tertiary since it's the mechanism that gets Hannah/Eve in front of the camera; the details are filled in throughout a few clips, but it plays second fiddle to her story. :haw:

The second narrative shift took us both for a surprise when you decide to end the search and SB says the "does what your mother make sense to you, Sarah?" We didn't see the Sarah clip until after the credits, but it was definitely an "oh shi-" on my end. I'm not 100% on board with how it's presented since it feels M Night Shyamalan levels of cheap PLOT TWIST, but it worked. It changed the narrative from "what is up with Hannah/Eve?" to "what the hell happened to Hannah/Eve after these videos?"

It was worth the $6 in CSGO crate money easily. I was aboard the Gone Home train early and that was $20, so this is an absolute value.

• Locked thread