Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I think the show has definitely dropped in quality since about season 8, but the complaints about how the characters are getting into weirder and more contorted situations is kind of dumb. One of the consistently ranked best episodes is Homer being an astronaut, which sounds about as dumb as something from a later season. Then there's Homer voicing a new character in the in universe cartoon show.

Yet those are still good episodes and fun to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp
The show really hasn't been the same since season 38

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

The Simpsons is a delivery system for jokes for me. I don't care about its down-to-earthness or its relevance or how true it is to the characters blah blah blah. Just give me sight gags and wryly funny lines to quote. It still delivers on that a lot of the time, albeit I have to slog through more dullness to get it than I used to.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

new simpsons is not as good but i still watch it becuase i don't deserve better.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Uncle Wemus posted:

Why does every show do musicals now
musicals are the ultimate expression of autism. watch a live action one yourself, look into the dead eyes of the actors

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Problem with the whole joke delivery system transition is 1, the humor impact of a great show stems from its internal consistency, like when Lisa needs braces. Lisa is not popular and has body image issues so doesn't want to be less popular, and homer loves her (for some reason, but it's consistent at least) so he wants her to be happy. The seriousness of this situation combined with its relatable nature is what gives the jokes the punch and allows you to suspend disbelief when things get wackier. And problem 2 is, there are already shows (like stand up and so on) that just deliver jokes as their core conceit from day one that are far better and far more efficient at it so you're better off watching one of those.

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
the first season is my favorite season because of how dark and cynical it can get, the scene where they introduce the beat cops in moe's tavern for instance

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

huskarl_marx posted:

the first season is my favorite season because of how dark and cynical it can get, the scene where they introduce the beat cops in moe's tavern for instance

they had the episode with the bad episode on the other day and it was pretty good, honestly. Homer's voice is kind of jarring though.

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCd-Oea3cZU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

they wen't full retard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com

huskarl_marx posted:

season 1 is way underrated, even by super-fans.

• Locked thread