Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJcyclopz
Feb 16, 2012
Problem description: We have a small office with 8 computers on the same domain, and a server with Active Directory. Everything was working fine, until... I reset my password via Active Directory, but when I log into the domain on my computer, I can only get on with my old password. However, once I'm in, if I try to access a shared folder on that same server, it only accepts the new password. Only my computer is having this issue, so far.

Attempted fixes: Reset the password again, reset the account.

Recent changes: I think someone might've accidentally removed some programs that come with Windows Server 2003, I don't know what though. I also can't find a list of what programs come with Server 2003.

--

Operating system: My computer is Windows 7 SP1, Server is Windows Server 2003 x64 SP2

System specs: My computer can actually sing because it is Adele; a Dell Optiplex 320 to be specific. Server also sings as a Dell Poweredge 1950

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Three initial things to try:

-Reboot the server if it hasn't been done lately.
-Disjoin the domain (from your computer) and then rejoin it.

-If that doesn't change anything try deleting the computer from within active directory and then rebooting your local computer.

DJcyclopz
Feb 16, 2012

Zogo posted:

Three initial things to try:

-Reboot the server if it hasn't been done lately.
-Disjoin the domain (from your computer) and then rejoin it.

-If that doesn't change anything try deleting the computer from within active directory and then rebooting your local computer.

When I disjoined the domain, and tried to rejoin it, it gave me the error: could not find Active Directory Domain Controller for the domain 'future'

Other computers that have always been connected to it have no problems, but apparently I can't add a new computer to the domain.

I tried "FUTURE" and 'future.lcl' for the domains, and they are DEFINITELY the only two that would work and not misspelled.

Also, I can ping the server and the server can ping me.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

jryan42988 posted:

...apparently I can't add a new computer to the domain.

Is there someone around who has an admin account? Only certain users may be able to join it.

Also, did you remove the computer account (not the user account but the computer name) from within AD itself?

DJcyclopz
Feb 16, 2012

Zogo posted:

Is there someone around who has an admin account? Only certain users may be able to join it.

Also, did you remove the computer account (not the user account but the computer name) from within AD itself?

I don't even get to the point where it asks me for an admin username/password, it says it can't find the AD DC at all.
I believe I removed the computer account from AD, but will double check and update tomorrow.

DJcyclopz
Feb 16, 2012
I deleted the computer from the AD, tried again, but to no avail.

The full error message is...

quote:

"An Active Directory Domain Controller (AD DC) for the domain "FUTURE" could not be contacted.

Ensure that the domain name is typed correctly.

If the name is correct, click details for troubleshooting information."

When I click details...

quote:

"Note: This information is intended for a network administrator. If you are not your network's administrator, notify the administrator that you received this information, which has been recorded in the file C:\Windows\debug\dcdiag.txt.

The domain name "FUTURE" might be a NetBIOS domain name. If this is the case, verify that the domain name is properly registered with WINS.

If you are certain that the name is not a NetBIOS domain name, then the following information can help you troubleshoot your DNS configuration.

The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate an Active Directory Domain Controller (AD DC) for domain "FUTURE":

The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
(error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.FUTURE

Common causes of this error include the following:

- The DNS SRV records required to locate a AD DC for the domain are not registered in DNS. These records are registered with a DNS server automatically when a AD DC is added to a domain. They are updated by the AD DC at set intervals. This computer is configured to use DNS servers with the following IP addresses:

- One or more of the following zones do not include delegation to its child zone:

FUTURE
. (the root zone)"

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Try this:

http://geekswithblogs.net/technetbytes/archive/2011/10/09/147233.aspx

DJcyclopz
Feb 16, 2012

Okay, so at first this didn't help, but after working on it for a while and restarting the server again, it now prompts me for admin credentials, but then I get the error...

"The following error occurred attempting to join the domain "FUTURE":
An attempt to resolve the DNS name of a domain controller in the domain being joined has failed. Please verify this client is configured to reach a DNS server that can resolve DNS names in the target domain. For information about network troubleshooting, see Windows Help."

Also... when I try to add a new computer on AD, I get an error "the directory service was unable to allocate a relative identifier"

DJcyclopz fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 9, 2015

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

It's been years since I had to deal with Active Directory, but could you static-set the IP address of the client machine and set the DNS to the server? Also, isn't one of those DNS servers Google? Is that intended?

DJcyclopz
Feb 16, 2012
Tried all of those things

I'm pretty sure this problem is centered around the other error I was getting: "the directory service was unable to allocate a relative identifier"

I get that error when I try to manually add a new computer to active directory. Aghhh any idea what I should do from here? google has not helped much

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

jryan42988 posted:

I get that error when I try to manually add a new computer to active directory.

Was the server configured so that a computer would have to be manually added like that? Because that's not the normal requirement.

Have any other computers/laptops that aren't joined to the domain? If so, try to join on one of those. Broadly that would at least tell us if it was a computer issue or a server issue.

DJcyclopz
Feb 16, 2012

Zogo posted:

Was the server configured so that a computer would have to be manually added like that? Because that's not the normal requirement.

Have any other computers/laptops that aren't joined to the domain? If so, try to join on one of those. Broadly that would at least tell us if it was a computer issue or a server issue.

Tried with another computer, same error. I had a feeling that would be the case since it asks me for credentials before giving me that error. Also, I just learned that 8.8.8.8 is the only DNS server that is working correctly. So now I know it's definitely a DNS server issue, but still don't know how to troubleshoot from here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

jryan42988 posted:

Tried with another computer, same error. I had a feeling that would be the case since it asks me for credentials before giving me that error. Also, I just learned that 8.8.8.8 is the only DNS server that is working correctly. So now I know it's definitely a DNS server issue, but still don't know how to troubleshoot from here.

Were the 10.200.221.136, 10.200.221.133 IP addresses given to you from the ISP? I wonder if there's been a change with them recently.

It would help to know the network topology. Are there other routers or servers on the network or just the domain controller?

• Locked thread