Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

huskarl_marx posted:

this begs a discussion about the developing ego and its autonomy

basically. is it really consent if they were raised in a manner than never allowed the thought of not consenting to it as an option?

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Commie NedFlanders posted:

This is a problem with age of consent laws all together.

Agreed.
Anyway, I'm glad you now realize why incest is bad, and how incestuous relationships fundamentally differ from gay or interracial relationships.

how big are your sister's tits?

Bethamphetamine fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jun 27, 2015

shahadien
Jan 5, 2014

The primary social problem with cases of incest is the emotional power that one partner will (in most cases) have over the other. Beyond this, the genetic implications of parent/offspring unions or brother/sister unions (which are statistically minimal, but still significant) can factually offer serious detriments to the children born as a result (and thereby society as a whole). Other than this, there is no justification.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
op, did you ever see this thread?

does it titillate you??

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

This is a problem with age of consent laws all together. How can we honestly say a 16 year old and 18 year old is statutory rape but a 44 year old banging an 19 year old is fine and dandy? That's hosed up dawg

you really want to gently caress your little sister don't you

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Horniest Manticore posted:

op, did you ever see this thread?

does it titillate you??

Dreadful

I have been categorically against incest and the studd in that thread but my point is that if we accept the logic of consenting adults I don't see how we can justify prohibiting incest if it's with consenting adults

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

you really want to gently caress your little sister don't you

You seem really hung up on this idea. Sorry but I don't have one and commie Ned Flanders doesn't like to get hosed by anyone except for Mrs Flanders

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Dreadful

I have been categorically against incest and the studd in that thread but my point is that if we accept the logic of consenting adults I don't see how we can justify prohibiting incest if it's with consenting adults

Yeah, you want to gently caress your sister

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

wow, thread is taking me back to a discussion had in my intro philosophy course in college. real dumbdeep poo poo here

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Matey posted:

wow, thread is taking me back to a discussion had in my intro philosophy course in college. real dumbdeep poo poo here

Which of your classmates wanted to gently caress their sister? Did they put up a better argument than the OP?

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
nobody is prohibiting you from loving your sister, op. go hog wild

"but she doesn't want to"

hmm, yes, i see. society's fault, for sure

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
i can't think of any arguments other than 'it's wrong and gross'
that's enough for me though tbh

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
realistically speaking in modern society consenting adults do not generally get prosecuted under existing incest laws even when they might technically be culpable

incest laws are generally used to make it easier to prosecute senior family members who abuse kids or use their positions of authority in the child's life to groom them to be sexually available at an age that otherwise might technically be legal

from what I've seen of case studies where this happens the way it goes is basically when the daughter is around 14 or 15 the battered wife starts getting shut in the house and the father starts treating the daughter like his wife and then either immediately or at a later point begins loving her

without incest laws this would technically be legal as long as he doesn't touch her before she turns 16 so uh yeah I feel no compulsion to strike these laws from the books, gently caress these sickos

if you are a woman who met her estranged father for the first time as an adult and fell in love with him when neither of you actually knew you were related and now you're giving birth to your sister/daughter then I don't think either of you should necessarily be thrown in jail but I don't particularly give a gently caress if the existing law makes you feel like a hosed up weirdo because you are

ChlorophileAddict
Jun 15, 2015
I don't really care about incest per se, but I care about inbreeding.
There are some anthropologists that believe that humanity's many advances stem from the very early incest ban.
Who and how people gently caress? I don't care if it's consenting adults.
But people want to have kids together and that's the problem.

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

Do It Once Right posted:

Which of your classmates wanted to gently caress their sister? Did they put up a better argument than the OP?

yeah, he actually provided pics of his hot sister. I was like :wow: and wished him best of luck.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Unlike in westeros people who do incest irl are not sexy people I want to be related to so I can gently caress and so should be forbidden from doing things.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Somebody always has to play the Uma Thurman card.

ChlorophileAddict
Jun 15, 2015

Frankenstyle posted:

Somebody always has to play the Uma Thurman card.

lol i thought it was just me

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

This is a problem with age of consent laws all together. How can we honestly say a 16 year old and 18 year old is statutory rape but a 44 year old banging an 19 year old is fine and dandy? That's hosed up dawg

Age of consent laws, like many laws, represent a 'best guess' effort to promote social wellbeing rather than a rigid statement of moral law. In moral terms, there may well be some people under 16 who are mature enough to give informed consent to sex. Certainly there are people well over the age of 16 who still have the emotional maturity of children. But measuring someone's capacity to consent is impossible to do accurately and if you tried it would just lead to some crazy social eugenics program.

Incest laws function the same way. While its not inconceivable that some people could have a healthy incestuous relationship, the vast majority of cases involve a dangerous power imbalance. So our best guess is to just put the banhammer on incest in general.

So what I'm saying is if you and your sister truly love and respect each other then go ahead and hit it, just don't get caught.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Sailor Viy posted:

Incest laws function the same way. While its not inconceivable that some people could have a healthy incestuous relationship, the vast majority of cases involve a dangerous power imbalance. So our best guess is to just put the banhammer on incest in general.

Well this is where prosecutorial discretion comes in. That example I gave earlier about a woman meeting her estranged father and not finding out they were related until after they had already fallen in love? That wasn't hypothetical, last I heard they were living together raising their sister/daughter/granddaughter and no one was planning to charge either of them with anything.

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
i gently caress my invisible sister

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
can I get in on OP's sister?

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

I can't really give a poo poo if someone fucks someone else that their closely related too. People think it's gross and weird but then they said that and still do about homosexuality.

Just don't procreate because I don't want a real life Joffery appearing anytime soon.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Yeah you generally want more of a gene pool and not so much a cement pond

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Much higher risk of genetic defects in babies. In the UK, first cousin marriages (so not even directly related) have a much higher incidence of babies with deformities, thus leading to greater burden on the health system and of course upset parents. Couple thus with a belief in no birth control and you got problems.

quote:

The problem is worst among children born in Britain's Pakistani community, where more than half of marriages are between first cousins, and children are 10 times more likely than the general population to suffer genetic disorders.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/7957808/700-children-born-with-genetic-disabilities-due-to-cousin-marriages-every-year.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7237663.stm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-23183102

Also god says it's wrong.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

If they conceive, advise them to abort or else face criminal charges instead.

Instead they should adopt a child. Therefor the gene pool is not affected and little timmy has a family.

Also legalise Polyamory. I want to have wives and husbands from different ethnic backgrounds so I will be able to form the first ever racial rainbow marriage

She's hot tho so Gramps has the right idea.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Profondo Rosso posted:

i know thtis is a troll thread but i was actually thinking about this earlier today. the best argument i can think up against is is that you would allow some pretty hosed up poo poo like a dude legally being able have a daughter then groom her into his perfect submissive waifu and marry her as soon as she hits 16.

Ah yes the Woody Allen maneuver

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

lol

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
Bad Grandpa

lite frisk
Oct 5, 2013

Lord of Pie posted:

Yeah you generally want more of a gene pool and not so much a cement pond

is the shape of his body compensating for the shape of his face? balance in all things imo.

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
Incest is OK but only if it's gay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
well OP, you are right, there isn't a "real" reason.

but it doesnt even have to be illegal, its a self solving problem. most people arent going to do it because it grosses them the gently caress out, and those few who will arent going to give a poo poo if its illegal or not.

• Locked thread