Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
I feel sorry for the person who comes to this thread before seeing the movie otherwise they'll think it's about an adopted closeted bisexual 11 year old who's really concerned about rent prices on the west coast.

loving goons.

Anyway, great film. I liked the dream sequence with a literal bear delivering brocolli pizza in a I heart S F T-shirt. Oh and: WHO'S YOUR FRIEND THAT LIKES TO PLAY?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Why in the world would you read an eight page discussion of a movie currently in theatres if you hadn't already watched it?

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

Haha, you can see multicolored memories inside all of their heads.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
I've actually only ever had pizza in California, so I don't know what it's like in Chicago and New York, supposedly the bastion of perfect pizza. But is Pizza here really that bad? I like broccoli on pizza, it's kinda good. I prefer asparagus, I suppose. What was this movie about again?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ravane posted:

I've actually only ever had pizza in California, so I don't know what it's like in Chicago and New York, supposedly the bastion of perfect pizza. But is Pizza here really that bad? I like broccoli on pizza, it's kinda good. I prefer asparagus, I suppose. What was this movie about again?

A girl coming to terms with her homosexuality and fear of rats.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Drifter posted:

A girl coming to terms with her homosexuality and fear of rats.

Then I guess I just watched the entire movie again.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Ronnie posted:

I feel sorry for the person who comes to this thread before seeing the movie otherwise they'll think it's about an adopted closeted bisexual 11 year old who's really concerned about rent prices on the west coast.

loving goons.

Anyway, great film. I liked the dream sequence with a literal bear delivering brocolli pizza in a I heart S F T-shirt. Oh and: WHO'S YOUR FRIEND THAT LIKES TO PLAY?

Seriously. This place is weird.

Onionetta
Aug 16, 2009

a cop posted:

I still wanna know how they subbed this for foreign audiences. Was there a lot of "Lava sounds like Love in English" murmurs?

I watched the movie in Italian, and they actually translated the whole thing and recorded a whole different song (Italians hate subtitles). It changed some of the details obviously but it sounded pretty good. Instead of "someone to lava", the line became something like "I want a love to wrap around my heart and melt it... like lava".

The train of thought joke was a bit lost in translation. I also noticed the bear connection and wondered if it was a gay joke, but obviously it doesn't have the same double meaning as in English.

I thought it was a terrific film, as long as you don't, like the OP said, get too hung up on why Soy is able to feel sadness, but Sorrow can't seem to feel joy, or why, if Joy wants Riley to be happy all the time, why Rage doesn't want her to be constantly furious.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Onionetta posted:

I thought it was a terrific film, as long as you don't, like the OP said, get too hung up on why Soy is able to feel sadness, but Sorrow can't seem to feel joy, or why, if Joy wants Riley to be happy all the time, why Rage doesn't want her to be constantly furious.

The emotions exhibit variations of mood, but their namesake is their core. Sadness felt joy when she was finally validated as a positive emotion. You also had Disgust and Anger exhibiting fear and panic during the climax. On the second note, Joy was the most domineering out of all the emotions and they all seemed to agree that she was the best "standard mode" for Riley's well-being. So it really boils down to a combination of Joy's character flaw and the overall mental health of Riley, which was the emotions' ultimate goal. Anger was more about justice and retribution than he was control.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah, Joy's kind of a control freak, and she's ultimately proven wrong. Everyone, including Sadness, just thought Joy was right about everything just because she was the de facto leader. Balanced Riley is still more about joy than the other emotions, but she allows herself to feel other things, like any well rounded individual should. Most of the other minds we get to peek into don't seem to have the same kind of power struggle as Riley's, and the parents' emotions in particular seem more subdued.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Riley's mom was being led by her own Sadness but that might just mean she cries really easily at sad movies or is really nostalgic or something. Or maybe she is secretly really depressed being stuck in an expensive San Francisco house with an angry husband and a bisexual trans tumblr-sexuality daughterson or something, we should ask the goons.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
A fantastic film. Seen it thrice now. They avoided some cheap jokes in that there wasn't any real competition between the emotions. They all wanted Riley to be happy, but stepped to their role when called for it. Really funny, also refreshing to have a movie with no designated bad guy. Honestly this whole movie is just refreshing overall. Great soundtrack too.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I just like that what happens isn't a disaster movie, although it's portrayed as one. It is really the story of a girl's brain restructuring itself as it prepares for the chemical rush of puberty, and the more complex social situations of high school. Riley's brain is going, "Out with the old, in with the new" and the emotions have no idea that what is happening is something that everyone does in some form.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Saw this tonight, it was a wonderful movie with a realistic portrayal of how certain emotions work. When you do a movie like this it's really easy to screw the whole thing up, but Pixar nailed everything perfectly.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
I just realized that at no point was there a scene in which multiple emotions do things on the console at the same and Riley jarringly switches from one emotional extreme to another for laughs. I feel like other studios might have gone for this gag and it's refreshing that Pixar tried to preserve as much realism as possible.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I really liked how the scene where Fear, Anger and Disgust try to emulate Joy results in Riley acting in a way that's indistinguishable from a real kid having a really lovely time and not being able to express her feelings properly. It works on several levels.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

dirksteadfast posted:

I just realized that at no point was there a scene in which multiple emotions do things on the console at the same and Riley jarringly switches from one emotional extreme to another for laughs. I feel like other studios might have gone for this gag and it's refreshing that Pixar tried to preserve as much realism as possible.

This especially works when you consider the ending where the emotions figure out that you can have multiple emotions working at once. It was interesting to watch them grow alongside Riley.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
I loved how Joy and the audience are both annoyed at Sadness for touching things, being a nuisance, and just existing in general. It might seem extreme, but it made sense to shove her into a corner! And then we see where it all led.

Like someone here said, the film was just as much Riley acting and the emotions reflecting as the other way around, and that's really key.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Just got home from a screening, saw it for the first time. Loved it.
There's a joke I didn't get.
Near the end, there's cops in the cloud city talking to the wife and then Joy or Sadness comes by and makes her disappear.
Help.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Dr Tran posted:

Just got home from a screening, saw it for the first time. Loved it.
There's a joke I didn't get.
Near the end, there's cops in the cloud city talking to the wife and then Joy or Sadness comes by and makes her disappear.
Help.

That quote is a reference to Chinatown. It's the same quote starting at 2m10s. Just how basically the people responsible will never get caught or held accountable. or something. I've never watched Chinatown, so I don't know for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjSshSvQWQA

Drifter fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Nov 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The joke is that they murdered her husband and then they murder her as well.

• Locked thread