Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ninotoreS posted:

i doubt South American nations are well represented on these forums

Only in the DOTA thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
The United States of America is the only country in either continent with America in their name. It is dumb as hell that anyone gets mad about it

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Fortunately no one will ever care what any south American nation thinks so it doesn't really matter all that much.

When learning Spanish you learn Estadounidense for American but here in Florida I always use Americano because we're in America and gently caress that bullshit.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Mustang posted:

Fortunately no one will ever care what any south American nation thinks so it doesn't really matter all that much.

When learning Spanish you learn Estadounidense for American but here in Florida I always use Americano because we're in America and gently caress that bullshit.

also alot of people in south america speak portuguese.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Joke's on them, a United Statesien calling themselves an American doesn't preclude other Americans from doing the same.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

TerminalSaint posted:

Joke's on them, a United Statesien calling themselves an American doesn't preclude other Americans from doing the same.

it does not, but speaking spanish or canadian kinda makes it obvious where you came from

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

I live in a trash country my mayor is a robust fart

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Anything south of Mexico is beneath notice and that's just because Mexico is a convenient scapegoat

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

I live in a trash country my mayor is a robust fart

How is living in Jersey working out for you?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I got in an argument with an angry Ecuadorian about this and I said everyone in Europe calls us Americans too, but unfortunately the nearest European was from the one country (Spain) that would be most likely to agree with him and I got owned.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

How is living in Jersey working out for you?

good

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

ninotoreS posted:

to clarify on the OP's behalf, it's typically South Americans that get irritated about US citizens being called 'Americans'

bc they're 'Americans' too. trust me, it's a thing

Is that so? I've only ever heard this stupid poo poo from Canadians.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
im a north american and I literally (the literal definition not the figurative one) do not give a gently caress what you call yourselves!!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

burritolingus posted:

No you haven't. No one in Canada gives a poo poo what AMERICA wants to call itself.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

burritolingus posted:

Canadians would literally never pretend to be american unless they are entertainers trying to transition from canada famous to America famous

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Also why dont other central african republics complain about central african republic

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

No you haven't. No one in Canada gives a poo poo what AMERICA wants to call itself.

Except yeah, I have. It was how I was first introduced to this dumb poo poo.

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

Thanks for the input, Jeff!

burritolingus posted:

Canadians can feel great knowing that Venezuelans agree with them :smugjones:

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

evilpicard posted:

Canadians would literally never pretend to be american unless they are entertainers trying to transition from canada famous to America famous

Or they're abroad and know they're acting like dickholes.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

I've heard it from Venezuelans and Argentinians. They tend to get butthurt over really minor things.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Some Canadians may find it irritating in an academic sense, but most Latin Americans actually identify as Americans because they speak incorrect languages so it's more personal to them.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ2np7R-Uwg

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

Stop applying an accurate label that is slightly less specific than I would like to yourselves! :argh:

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

TerminalSaint posted:

Stop applying an accurate label that is slightly less specific than I would like to yourselves! :argh:

Wouldn't the accurate label be "North American" or "South American" though?

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

burritolingus posted:

Wouldn't the accurate label be "North American" or "South American" though?

Both are equally accurate, the difference is specificity. North and South Americans are both Americans.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

TerminalSaint posted:

Both are equally accurate, the difference is specificity. North and South Americans are both Americans.

Mmmm no.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

TerminalSaint posted:

nope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
Guys chill out, I'm sure the NWO is working on a new "free trade agreement" that will make the difference academic anyway :mrgw:

• Locked thread