Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Moridin920 posted:

The problem is to write a genius level detective or whatever you generally have to be at least as smart as the character you are trying to write (or be a really really good writer but then you're probably writing novels not comics) so 99% of the time you're just told Batman is the best in the world and shown some Encyclopedia Brown poo poo.

Maybe, but there are hundreds of mystery novels out there to steal from, and I don't have the expectation that it's a true mystery story in the sense that the reader can solve the mystery before or at the same time as Batman.

I think I'd be happy if they even had a scene where somehow Batman stops a bad thing from happening and Gordon's like "Batman how'd you know there was a bomb in the ice rink?" and Bats gives a Holmesian "well once I realized blah blah blah I deduced blah blah." that the reader could never verify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Oberleutnant posted:

poirot is french

listen here you son of a bitch...

Oberleutnant posted:

poirot is actually belgian and i'm ashamed that not one of u autistic fuckers corrected me on that like a page or two ago. gently caress you all

ok, thank you. getting in fights over hercule poirot's nationality is like 95% of what I do on the internet, so consider yourself lucky

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Maybe, but there are hundreds of mystery novels out there to steal from, and I don't have the expectation that it's a true mystery story in the sense that the reader can solve the mystery before or at the same time as Batman.

I think I'd be happy if they even had a scene where somehow Batman stops a bad thing from happening and Gordon's like "Batman how'd you know there was a bomb in the ice rink?" and Bats gives a Holmesian "well once I realized blah blah blah I deduced blah blah." that the reader could never verify.

Yeah, true.

Idk man it's the same reason superhero movies pick the stupidest plotlines out of the literally thousands of potential comic storylines to use (some of which would make for really great movies). Writers suck most of the time but think they don't because they refuse to listen to constructive criticism.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 29, 2015

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Superman would make a better detective because he can just travel around the sun to go back in time and see what happened first hand. The only downside is potentially getting stuck in Bizarro Earth where Lex Luthor, leader of the Nazis, has taken over the world. Or a dimension where Superman was raised by his neighbors and ended up being a evil punk rock superman.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah, true.

Idk man it's the same reason superhero movies pick the stupidest plotlines out of the literally thousands of potential comic storylines to use (some of which would make for really great movies). Writers suck most of the time but think they don't because they refuse to listen to constructive criticism.

Wanna see a Superman movie where Superman uses his powers to gaslight Lois Lane until she doubts her sanity and discounts her earlier suspicion that Superman and Clark Kent are the same person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Doesn't he just write whatever he wants to know onto ticker tape and feed it into his giant computer for the answer?

• Locked thread