Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Seriously, how come baby animals like little kittens and puppies and rhinoceroses are far more capable of not instantly being helpless and dying like stupid babies? A baby cat at like two weeks old can feed itself, walk around, know where to go to the bathroom, and have a fight or flight instinct about danger. A little kid up to like 1 year old at least is completely helpless at anything and will actively try and hurt itself if given the chance. Then at like age 2/3 we begin to lap them but whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
because if the baby cooked and had a regular sized brain they wouldnt be able to get out of even OP's mom's giant sloppy puss

Two Free Toppings
Jul 1, 2007

SUCK
THE
SHIT
OUT
OF
MY
OWN
ASSHOLE

CISMALES DID 9-11 posted:

because if the baby cooked and had a regular sized brain they wouldnt be able to get out of even OP's mom's giant sloppy puss

Close it down

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
because it was an unnecessary path of evolution for us. those with genes for dumb babies still survived because of the brains of our parents were, relative to the average other-animal, highly developed. im sure someone answered this already but I cant read this lame rear end thread OP

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

The Onion posted:

LOS ANGELES--A surprising new study released Monday by UCLA's Institute For Child Development revealed that human babies, long thought by psychologists to be highly inquisitive and adaptable, are actually extraordinarily stupid.

The study, an 18-month battery of intelligence tests administered to over 3,500 babies, concluded categorically that babies are "so stupid, it's not even funny."

According to Institute president Molly Bentley, in an effort to determine infant survival instincts when attacked, the babies were prodded in an aggressive manner with a broken broom handle. Over 90 percent of them, when poked, failed to make even rudimentary attempts to defend themselves. The remaining 10 percent responded by vacating their bowels.

"It is unlikely that the presence of the babies' fecal matter, however foul-smelling, would have a measurable defensive effect against an attacker in a real-world situation" Bentley said.

Another test, in which the infants were placed on a mound of dirt outdoors during a torrential downpour, produced similarly bleak results.

"The chicken, dog and even worm babies that we submitted to the test as a control group all had enough sense to come in from the rain or, at least, seek shelter under a leafy clump of vegetation or outcropping of rock," test supervisor Thomas Howell said. "The human babies, on the other hand, could not grasp even this incredibly basic concept, instead merely lying on the ground and making gurgling noises."

According to Howell, almost 60 percent of the infants tested in this manner eventually drowned.

Some of the babies tested were actually so stupid that they choked to death on pieces of Micronaut space toys. Others, unable to use such primitive instruments as can openers and spoons due to insufficient motor skills, simply starved to death, despite being surrounded by cabinets full of nutritious, life-giving Gerber-brand baby-food products.

Babies, the study concluded, are also too stupid to do the following: avoid getting their heads trapped in automatic car windows; use ice to alleviate the pain of burn injuries resulting from touching an open flame; master the skills required for scuba diving; and use a safety ladder to reach a window to escape from a room filled with cyanide gas.

"As a mother of four, I find these results very disheartening," Bentley told reporters. "I can honestly say that the effort I have expended trying to raise my children into intelligent beings may have been entirely wasted--a fool's dream, if you will."

Study results also prompted a strong reaction from President Clinton. "All of us, on some primitive, mammalian level, feel a great sense of pride in our offspring," Clinton said. "It is now clear, however, that these feelings are unfounded. Given the overwhelming evidence of their profound stupidity, we have no choice but to replace our existing infant population with artificially incubated simu-drones, with the eventual goal of phasing out the shamefully stupid human baby forever."

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHMUvS4fCls

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

CISMALES DID 9-11 posted:

Artful statement of fact

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

babies makin babies, man. it's a hosed up world we're livin in

Calbiyum
May 18, 2015
Human babies are loving awful. And everyone gets so mad when I say they suck and everyone is like they're cute oh my baby is so smart she can touch a block. your baby is like every other human baby lovely. Also I'm more edge than any baby

Homo Simpson
Oct 21, 2014

by Smythe
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know, do I look like a nerd to you?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
because generally we don't need to do as much development in the womb as other animals

as we are intelligent social mammals we can take care of our young much easier than say a gazelle that has to basically drop a baby that is ready to run from lions immediately so we never had the evolutionary impetus to get the fast reproduction + babies becoming more highly developed before they are actually born traits.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
nah man it's cause we can't do as much development in the womb, fuckin baby heads are already way too fuckin big, how the hell is a toddler gonna fit out of a chick's pelvis man think this thru

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

SniperWoreConverse posted:

nah man it's cause we can't do as much development in the womb, fuckin baby heads are already way too fuckin big, how the hell is a toddler gonna fit out of a chick's pelvis man think this thru

Most of the animals with smarter babies have smaller brains than dumb human babies though. Seems like we could easily fit in some instincts with that space for those early years.

Spandex Bonerlord
Sep 30, 2014

Baby animals don't stick forks in electrical sockets.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Seriously, how come baby animals like little kittens and puppies and rhinoceroses are far more capable of not instantly being helpless and dying like stupid babies? A baby cat at like two weeks old can feed itself, walk around, know where to go to the bathroom, and have a fight or flight instinct about danger. A little kid up to like 1 year old at least is completely helpless at anything and will actively try and hurt itself if given the chance. Then at like age 2/3 we begin to lap them but whatever.

Because of the evolution into being primarily bipedal the opening in the hip bone of Homo Sapiens is too small so human babies can't have fully formed skulls/brains and make it through. This means more development has to happen outside of the mother.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe being helpless contributes to bonding in social structures or so gay poo poo like that

HENGRY BUNG
Jan 15, 2015

if the instincts are strong then they control the lives of the creature. when the instincts are weak it leaves it open to learning and input

just my 2 centss

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
i dunno

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
because evolution is not perfect and this doesn't kill us, as a species

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

vaccinnessss

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

The Whole Internet posted:

because evolution is not perfect and this doesn't kill us, as a species

it's also an explanation for why humans took to settling down instead of being nomadic

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

have you considered that maybe animals generally are a lot smarter than humans and just too chill and smart to get jobs or invent television

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
welfare, food stamps, and unemployment has hosed up human evolution to make us helpless and complacent to big governemnt so our babies are devolving

Verily I Shat
May 24, 2015

by Smythe
babys in the US will be "smartest" first, if smart means being able to flee from death fast and eat garbage to survive, which is basically the smarts baby animals have.

everyone else will stll have slow first world babies, no fear of death as a newborn and actual food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
because they cannot possibly be your spawn

• Locked thread