Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Redkist posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03v7GjtR-Ao

This is better than Kanye's catalog.

Kool Keith's worst verse is light years better than anything that has ever come out of Kanye's lovely mouth.

Kanye makes Mace sound like a real rapper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redkist
Mar 5, 2005
Fonkay fressh!
I would rather watch Kool Keith make a grocery shopping list than hang out with Kanye and his celeb friends.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Redkist posted:

I dunno man, I like a million rappers. Rap was my dad. What are you asking for, just a few artists that make rap in general? Too broad. I can give you a real suggestion with more to work with.

Got anything like BDP or daisy age era De La Soul, but that persisted into the gangsta rap dominated part of the nineties? I miss those positive vibes man.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
http://allhiphop.com/2015/01/08/excuse-my-blackness-but-eminem-the-greatest-rapper-ever/

quote:

Eminem is the greatest rapper ever—dead or alive! There! I said it! Do you know how hard it was to write those words? Do you understand the implications of these words? I literally had to throw my blackness and Negritude in the garbage (not to mention forsake my beloved Jay Z, whom I personally think is the greatest rapper, but that’s just my very subjective personal opinion.)

http://www.mtv.com/news/1966952/eminem-best-battle-rapper-ever/

quote:

This Is Why Eminem Is The Best Battle Rapper Ever

http://www.thetoptens.com/rappers/

http://www.vibe.com/2012/10/40-compliments-rappers-have-given-eminem-over-years/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPHhvyHbDJQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTzxlGWljsk

Kanye sucks my rear end in a top hat so hard

Redkist
Mar 5, 2005
Fonkay fressh!

Moon Atari posted:

Got anything like BDP or daisy age era De La Soul, but that persisted into the gangsta rap dominated part of the nineties? I miss those positive vibes man.

Look up Good Life Cafe and Freestyle Fellowship if you don't already know about Project Blowed and all that. Innercity Griots is a good place to start. Aceyalone is a good place to start as well. Accepted Eclectic is one of my favorite albums period to come out of that movement (it's his third album though so it's a 2001 joint).

If you wanted to keep it NYC; Tribe Called Quest, Gang Starr and Pete Rock & CL Smith. If you've never heard the original Petestrumentals album, that's one of my favorites as well.

Hieroglyphics/Souls of Mischief kept it pretty positive as well. Cab Fare is one of my favorite songs by them, see if that's up your alley. These are all really "mainstream" suggestions (like any internet hip hop head would know these, these aren't like super darkhorse albums, not sure if that's what you wanted) but I can highly recommend everything I've posted.

I've been on a big old school Memphis/H-Town/90's Bay Mobb music tear lately so it's good to talk about something else from the past.

Redkist
Mar 5, 2005
Fonkay fressh!

Hollis Brownsound posted:

Kool Keith's worst verse is light years better than anything that has ever come out of Kanye's lovely mouth.

Kanye makes Mace sound like a real rapper.

Offensive to Murda Ma$e imho.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
rap/hiphop/r&b is pretty bad in general

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Sweet, thanks man. I was already way into tribe called quest and gangta starr but hadn't heard of any of the rest. It really is hard to learn about rap if you haven't grown up with it, especially being Australian and all so well distanced from the source.

Redkist
Mar 5, 2005
Fonkay fressh!

Moon Atari posted:

Sweet, thanks man. I was already way into tribe called quest and gangta starr but hadn't heard of any of the rest. It really is hard to learn about rap if you haven't grown up with it, especially being Australian and all so well distanced from the source.

I like some of your battle rappers.

The Saurus losing to Justice in like 07 at scribble was a big win for your country mayne.

Their 2 on 2 rematch battle is probably one of the funnier written battles I've seen.

Redkist
Mar 5, 2005
Fonkay fressh!

Ramsus posted:

rap/hiphop/r&b is pretty bad in general

Thanks idiot.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

Redkist posted:

Thanks idiot.

Word on the street is you're fonkay fressh!

lol gtfo bitch

Redkist
Mar 5, 2005
Fonkay fressh!
Imagine insulting someones 10 year old avatar choice thinking u just made a sick burn

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Redkist posted:

I like some of your battle rappers.

The Saurus losing to Justice in like 07 at scribble was a big win for your country mayne.

Their 2 on 2 rematch battle is probably one of the funnier written battles I've seen.

Yeah unfortunately we mostly only allow the least interesting/technically skilled to get the mainstream success necessary to support themselves financially, although this might be true of everywhere. Like our most successful act is hilltop hoods and every one of their tracks from their very earliest days to know is about how long they've been rapping and thanks for the support. Shame because I feel like we kind of have a unique identity building up and I'd like to see it encouraged a bit better.

Redkist
Mar 5, 2005
Fonkay fressh!

Moon Atari posted:

Yeah unfortunately we mostly only allow the least interesting/technically skilled to get the mainstream success necessary to support themselves financially, although this might be true of everywhere. Like our most successful act is hilltop hoods and every one of their tracks from their very earliest days to know is about how long they've been rapping and thanks for the support. Shame because I feel like we kind of have a unique identity building up and I'd like to see it encouraged a bit better.

Yeah, unfortunately rapping about rapping is considered a career ender for a reason. I never listened to Hilltop Hoods, I'm aware of them though. I'm totally open to Australian hip-hop is all I was really trying to get across, relating with the little info I had on the subject.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

"Nobody's gonna be bigger than Eminem."

So that's why he's always pouting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

FIRST EBOLA GOON AVOID ALL POSTS SPEWING EBLOA SHIT POSTS EVERWHERE
I'm literally retarded
Isn't this the same guy that's porking Kim "Your rear end obstructs my view of Venus" Kardassian?

Goddam race traitor.
Him, not her.

Watch for little Martian dudes, Kim.

• Locked thread