Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

3 years $9.825M for Ward to the Sharks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

goldrush posted:

the gently caress? Would be curious to hear the story on this one, beloved longtime trainers don't really ever get fired. That's the kind of move that can really alienate players, too, they love their trainers

Yeah, like seriously, what the gently caress could Mike Burnstein have possibly done to get himself fired, other than like they're just cleaning house of everyone good and awesome?

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

HookShot posted:

Yeah, like seriously, what the gently caress could Mike Burnstein have possibly done to get himself fired, other than like they're just cleaning house of everyone good and awesome?
Preparing to relocate to Seattle.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

ThinkTank posted:

Joel Ward signed with the Sharks

I'm actually looking forward to seeing him on the team.

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008
:3 -$5 :3

Whale Cancer posted:

I wanted both him and Paul Martin for like a zillion years now, so I'm actually... happy? :confused:

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

ThinkTank posted:

In ongoing puzzling Canuck moves Benning fired Mike Burnstein, the longtime trainer of the Canucks and Team Canada. This makes no sense.

Maybe he figures that Ryan Miller's injury was Burnstein's fault.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Joel Ward is a good player but don't expect more than third line production out of him. He will help the Sharks for sure though.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

HELLO LADIES posted:

I wanted both him and Paul Martin for like a zillion years now, so I'm actually... happy? :confused:

Yeah they would have been great signings about a zillion years ago

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Mind_Taker posted:

3 years $9.825M for Ward to the Sharks.

I guess he's a league average player. As long as he only gets third line minutes I'm ok with the signing. Yeah ok we're cool

tofes posted:

Yeah they would have been great signings about a zillion years ago

You really haven't explained how his dollars or term is bad you just keep being crappy about it.

Mind_Taker posted:

Joel Ward is a good player but don't expect more than third line production out of him. He will help the Sharks for sure though.

As long as he's glued to the third line where he belongs then I'm cool with it.

Whale Cancer posted:

If our goaltending is in the same realm of mediocrity as last year I can't imagine this year being any worse.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

Sorry dude I was just making a joke about how they're both old

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

He will be more productive than Scott, Desi and Shep were.

I think he would work well on a line with Wingels and Tierney.

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008
:3 -$5 :3
I guess DW is going for actually trying to build a contender again because he failed at alienating Jumbo and Patty enough to start a full rebuild, but they're still old so he's getting other old guys who'll fall apart at about the same time but still have tradeable contracts or something once that's over and it's time to actually tank hard?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

HELLO LADIES posted:

I guess DW is going for actually trying to build a contender again because he failed at alienating Jumbo and Patty enough to start a full rebuild, but they're still old so he's getting other old guys who'll fall apart at about the same time but still have tradeable contracts or something once that's over and it's time to actually tank hard?

I can already see Jumbo being the next vet whose hopes and dreams Chicago uses as fire for their black magic voodoo bullshit en-route to their next goddamn cup.

bub spank posted:

Why does everyone keep saying Ottawa got worse? Other than losing Condra, they dumped an entirely replaceable #6 d-man (who will be replaced by last year's Eddie Shore trophy winner) and traded a backup goalie who's put up mediocre numbers for a few years now. And Condra's likely going to be replaced by Shane Prince or Matt Puempel, who likely won't drive possession as well as Condra but will put up more points.

The only regressing old dudes they have (Phillips/Neil) are likely to be de facto healthy scratches last year, they were one of the youngest playoff teams in the league, and this year they don't have to deal with Paul MacLean's terrible coaching for half the year. I don't think Ottawa's going to win the east or anything, but they're a lot better than people give them credit for, and I'd put them on the same tier as Montreal/Detroit/Boston. Tampa's clearly the #1 in the division, but I don't think there's that much differentiating #2-#5 right now.

They didn't really get any better, and they basically made the playoffs as a result of an insane SV% from a goalie who wasn't even good in the AHL (and where he is in terms of skill remains to be seen) and some insane shooting percentages (that are inflated, but not as much as we might think).

Basically, there are too many unknowns to know which Ottawa is going to show up next season, and as a result it's easier to assume they're going to stumble.

Realistically the Atlantic next year is probably going to be Tampa, Montreal, Detroit and then !LOGJAM!.
Comparatively, the Metro is going to just be a colossal clusterfuck.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 4, 2015

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think Hoffman's numbers are that inflated. He is a really good offensive player. He has a deceptively great wrister in particular. His natural shooting % is probably well above 10. Stone is obviously not gonna shoot 20+% again though.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

tofes posted:

Sorry dude I was just making a joke about how they're both old

There's no joke and or sarcasm font for me to tell cause you're always so grumpy :smith:

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
It's true that they're incredibly unlikely to get another standout performance from Andrew Hammond. Instead they might get it from actual good goalie, Craig Anderson.

I think they're in the same just in/just out spot they've been in for the past 4 years.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Ottawa is realistically going to look exactly like they did through mid-February when they hit a hot streak.

Just a reminder, Andrew Hammond's only "L" in his NHL career came at the hands of the New York Rangers, who chased him when Tanner Glass scored their fifth goal of the night 36m into the game.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Zodijackylite posted:

Ottawa is realistically going to look exactly like they did through mid-February when they hit a hot streak.

Just a reminder, Andrew Hammond's only "L" in his NHL career came at the hands of the New York Rangers, who chased him when Tanner Glass scored their fifth goal of the night 36m into the game.

And AV laughing when he scored it. That game was fun.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Schlesische posted:

, which they will probably do because a lot of Leafs fans are stupid and want all the wins now.
Why do people keep saying this when it has been provably not true since at least the early 80s?

I mean, obviously any fan base would prefer their team win, but leaf fans have shown we don't give a poo poo if they don't.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

It's true that they're incredibly unlikely to get another standout performance from Andrew Hammond. Instead they might get it from actual good goalie, Craig Anderson.

I think they're in the same just in/just out spot they've been in for the past 4 years.

They will probably end up in the 3rd/4th-6th/7th logjam that will ensue, and that's just a massive crapshoot.

The East is going to be amazing to watch next year. The Atlantic has 6, 7 teams that could feasibly challenge for the Playoffs and the Metro has 6 teams that are right there.
And then there's the whole "lets not get destroyed by the West!" thing that appears to still be a thing.

pseudodragon posted:

Why do people keep saying this when it has been provably not true since at least the early 80s?

I mean, obviously any fan base would prefer their team win, but leaf fans have shown we don't give a poo poo if they don't.

The overwhelming majority of what fans of every other team in every other market get is Toronto media rather than Leafs fans. And Toronto media seems to want to push the "win now, the tomorrow can get hosed" narrative.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jul 4, 2015

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Naet posted:

Does Buffalo have a defence?

They have about 3/4 of a decent, young, defense, but didn't manage to sign anyone good to plug the two holes, and they had nonexistent depth, which Murray signed a bunch of losers to 1 mil contracts to see how it goes. None of which I know enough about to get angry with yet.

I mean they can't be worse than the Mez and Benoit tank commanders, but at least they're warm bodies.

GMTM did throw contracts out there, but Sekera was probably pretty burnt from his last stint in Buffalo so blegh.

Oduya still hasn't signed? Is he 100% back to Chicago?

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Justin Williams going to the Caps to help win game 7's and Joel Ward going to San Jose to score That Late Goal are both humorous, fantastic moves.

Dallas is rumored to be in on Oduya, maybe that's the delay. They're also looking at what it would cost for Cody Hodgson. I really don't care what they do as long as there's at least one more top4 quality defenseman in that lineup to pad it out.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

DOOMocrat posted:

Justin Williams going to the Caps to help win game 7's and Joel Ward going to San Jose to score That Late Goal are both humorous, fantastic moves.

Dallas is rumored to be in on Oduya, maybe that's the delay. They're also looking at what it would cost for Cody Hodgson. I really don't care what they do as long as there's at least one more top4 quality defenseman in that lineup to pad it out.

Do you mean Cody Franson?

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

tofes posted:

Do you mean Cody Franson?

yeah I think he does.

This is the first I've heard of Dallas being in on Johnny Oduya, from all of the information that has leaked out so far it kind of sounds like the team is more interested in trying to pilfer cap-strapped clubs than getting involved in the UFA market.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Kings have re-signed Jamie McBain for one year. There are still question marks due to Voynov possibly being suspended again/torn achilles/conditioning. Best possible defense for the Kings looks something like:

Muzzin - Doughty
McNabb - Voynov
Martinez - Greene
McBain/Forbort

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
God gently caress you Buffalo. How on loving earth is ROR worth 7.5 x 7. Mother gently caress Stepan is going to get paid

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

THE MACHO MAN posted:

God gently caress you Buffalo. How on loving earth is ROR worth 7.5 x 7. Mother gently caress Stepan is going to get paid

I'd be ok with giving close to that for Stepan if it weren't for Staal and Girardi's horrendous contracts.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

LmaoTheKid posted:

I'd be ok with giving close to that for Stepan if it weren't for Staal and Girardi's horrendous contracts.

I think north of 7 at that term should be reserved for PPG players imo. Though I've not actually bothered to look what % of the cap that is so I might be thinking in like 2010 numbers.

I mean even at 7 -7.5 I think Stepan is worth way more to the team than cutting him loose over $1m or so (or basically a TannerFucking Glass). But it just blows that they're signing him after that. Frankly, I am kind of surprised they didn't try to get him inked before ROR. Maybe his agent was waiting on that. W ho knows.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I think north of 7 at that term should be reserved for PPG players imo. Though I've not actually bothered to look what % of the cap that is so I might be thinking in like 2010 numbers.

I mean even at 7 -7.5 I think Stepan is worth way more to the team than cutting him loose over $1m or so (or basically a TannerFucking Glass). But it just blows that they're signing him after that. Frankly, I am kind of surprised they didn't try to get him inked before ROR. Maybe his agent was waiting on that. W ho knows.

He's basically the #1 C and 24 years old. He's not a PPG player but he's been improving every year and the team basically falls apart without him in the lineup.

I'm sure his agent had a lot to do with it since he held out on his last contract which in hindsight should have been a McD style FA buyout.

I really hope Gorton doesn't continue this trend of kicking the can WRT locking up core players long term but I also heard he's been pretty involved with contract talks the last few years.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

LmaoTheKid posted:

He's basically the #1 C and 24 years old. He's not a PPG player but he's been improving every year and the team basically falls apart without him in the lineup.

I'm sure his agent had a lot to do with it since he held out on his last contract which in hindsight should have been a McD style FA buyout.

I really hope Gorton doesn't continue this trend of kicking the can WRT locking up core players long term but I also heard he's been pretty involved with contract talks the last few years.

Yeah I mean that's kind of my view on it. It sucks but he's averaged around .8ppg the last 3 years, and was almost a ppg in the lockout year. It's pretty reasonable to expect him to be a 60 to maybe 75 pt guy over the next few years. Even if $7m is high now, it isn't in 3 years.

it just blows or the reasons you noted: that's a big $ to swallow at the moment

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
...Dan Ellis?

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby
Someone has to be the starter in Hershey.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Yeah I mean that's kind of my view on it. It sucks but he's averaged around .8ppg the last 3 years, and was almost a ppg in the lockout year. It's pretty reasonable to expect him to be a 60 to maybe 75 pt guy over the next few years. Even if $7m is high now, it isn't in 3 years.

it just blows or the reasons you noted: that's a big $ to swallow at the moment

Also keep in mind that every year of this deal is UFA years. That makes a huge difference.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
Gonna go ahead and say that in a few years the O'Rielly/Eichel duo is going to be better than both the Crosby/Malkin duo and the McDavid/RNH duo. That contract is a great one for ROR and ensures they'll have an elite two-way center for a very long time.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

The Ryan O'Reilly contract is interesting because he doesn't have great boxcars so you have to think he and his agent used advanced stats to negotiate.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

tofes posted:

The Ryan O'Reilly contract is interesting because he doesn't have great boxcars so you have to think he and his agent used advanced stats to negotiate.

He's got reputation though. He's one of those cases where advanced stats guys and old school hockey guys are in total agreement that the boxcars don't tell the whole story. I never got the impression Tim Murray was anything but an old school hockey guy. He just likes a more speed / possession based game and has a good eye for guys who can play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

He's got reputation though. He's one of those cases where advanced stats guys and old school hockey guys are in total agreement that the boxcars don't tell the whole story. I never got the impression Tim Murray was anything but an old school hockey guy. He just likes a more speed / possession based game and has a good eye for guys who can play it.

Ottawa took the wrong Murray.

I am kind of surprised Oduya hasnt been picked up yet and I have to wonder if he is just flat out asking for too much. I doubt its money thats keeping him away and probably term. He will be 34 when next season starts and last I heard he was looking for a minimum of 4 years, which I cant blame sane GMs from turning away.

• Locked thread