Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.

Tony Homo posted:

Wasn't there a "bad guy" ref in the wwf way back when that would purposely let his favorites win? At one point he had to wrestle some of the wwf wrestlers. This was a decade or 2 ago.

no that didnt happened and no one has talked about him on the very page you posted this on, or posted multiple gifs of him doing things on that page, which was page 1

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Wrestling is still fun but whiny internet nerds like to complain about everything.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Idiot Kicker posted:

The last time I watched Raw or anything was when he was brand new. Is it worse than 2012/13 or whenever that was?

It got better for a while, and is now back to that level. Dean evolved into basically Stone Cold but instead of being a redneck he's the kind of guy who eats brunch at the strip club buffet. And also lives in the dumpster out behind that strip club. But then he started getting over instead of their new golden boy Roman Reigns, and is basically never allowed to win a match anymore.

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

basically Stone Cold but instead of being a redneck he's the kind of guy who eats brunch at the strip club buffet.

i was about to ask if thats really a stereotype people fall back on but then i thought about it and like, yeah, i can imagine exactly the guy you mean and i can see why that persona would resonate well with wrestling fans

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Kevin Owens and John Cena are putting up some of the best matches in years and also Brock Lesnar is back. Wrasslin'.

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003
The quality of the product is at the highest level it's been in years since Macho Man was fighting people in the ring.

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE

Earl Hebner, living the life.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Cursed Lumberjack posted:

i was about to ask if thats really a stereotype people fall back on but then i thought about it and like, yeah, i can imagine exactly the guy you mean and i can see why that persona would resonate well with wrestling fans

Pictured: Dean Ambrose, just before driving down to the high school in his thunderbird to ask 17 year old girls if they need anyone to buy cigarettes and wine coolers for them.

20matar
Jul 9, 2013

70fugir

Stex T posted:

I was trying to go to sleep a few minutes ago and for some reason the enormity of these events finally hit me and I couldn't stop crying. I have no real life friends who give a poo poo about professional wrestling, so this is basically the only place I have to express these feelings, but I really feel the need to express them.

I would like this thread to be about our personal feelings about the death of Chris Benoit, and how it has personally affected us. Just TV-IVing about the details as they come in, or wondering about the WWE's future, and all of that bullshit has no place here. I need to write about my feelings about Chris Benoit. Obviously these posts will be mocked elsewhere on the forums, but gently caress em. If you feel the need to say anything, say it.

-----

Chris Benoit is a murderer. He killed his wife and child. We will probably never know exactly what he was thinking. Obviously I did not know Chris Benoit. I never saw him in person and never spoke to him. But he represented something very special to me. In such a cut-throat, dirty, dark, often disgusting, business he was one of the good ones. When people talked poo poo about wrestling and the bastards involved in it, you could always muffin out Chris Benoit as the exception to the rule. He was the one you could muffin to as a true professional who honored the sport he loved, who was passionate about it, who proved that you could dedicate your life to professional wrestling without being insane or scum or a monster. He was the ace in the hole. He was the one who wasn't in it for the pussy or because he was a failed jock in another sport or because he wanted to get rich quick or because he wanted to be a movie star or because he saw wrestling as a means to an end. He was in it for professional wrestling. He was dedicated to being the best professional wrestler he could be, and it showed in the ring.

I wanted to be a professional wrestler since I was a little kid, and one of the very worst moments of my life was a cold night in San Antonio when I was on the phone to my girlfriend a thousand miles away and finally admitted to myself and to her that coming to Texas to be a wrestler had been a mistake. Coming to grips that I was simply not athletically or charismatically talented enough to be a professional wrestler was one of the worst moments of my life. The business glorifies the boyhood dreams that come true. My boyhood dream wasn't going to come true, and it was an upsetting, soul-crushing revelation that upsets and discourages me to this day.

Since then I lived vicariously through Chris Benoit in a lot of ways. He wasn't a man who was destined to be a WWE champion. He couldn't talk. He wasn't charismatic in the usual way. He was quiet. He was short. The only thing he had going for him was his work ethic. He wasn't a third generation wrestler. He wasn't physically gifted. He wasn't someone who had words come easy to him. But through sheer effort he was able to become one of the greatest professional wrestlers in history. By 40 years-old.

Chris Benoit was only forty, and he was already a legend on the verge of myth. That's how talented he was, and how respected.

I cannot reconcile in my mind that the man who unnecessarily gave back so much to the sport could end his life the way he did. I can't understand how a man could spend weeks and months trying to give back to younger guys like MVP, putting forth the care and effort to help them find their voice in the ring, and that that same man could strangle his wife and child only weeks later. It doesn't make sense. It shouldn't have happened this way. Not for him, not for Nancy, and not for their child.

Chris Benoit owed me nothing. But I still feel the loss. I selfishly lived through many of his accomplishments and now feel lost. I can only speak for myself, but I feel that for a lot of us Mondays and Fridays are rocks of stability in a storm of stress and uncertainty. Every week the show goes on. Every week the show is from somewhere new, somewhere in the world, but every week it comes into our homes.

And that will continue. But Chris Benoit is dead. And he died a murderer. And whether it be insanity, drugs, or just the actions of a clear-eyed monster, what is done is done. And one of the pillars for the guys backstage and one of the pillars for fans is gone. And everything that pillar held up is tainted and dripping with blood.

Chris Benoit was a murderer. And I don't know how to accept that.

If Paradol Ex wasn't too useless he could have done some refereeing. Get a striped shirt and some dress shoes and do a slow count instead of whining about Benwah. Shawn Michaels could have been proud.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Idiot Kicker posted:

Stone Cold was one of a kind and the late 90s were perfect for him. America loved an antihero at that time more than ever.

This whiny millennial generation wouldn't be able to handle Stone Cold.

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

Tony Homo posted:

Wasn't there a "bad guy" ref in the wwf way back when that would purposely let his favorites win? At one point he had to wrestle some of the wwf wrestlers. This was a decade or 2 ago.

no but there was a ref in wcw named nick patrick who was evil and paid off by the nwo to be biased in favor of them. he never wrestled though. you're probably thinking of him

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

best referee still red shoes unno, whose disapproval lasts for centuries

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I always loved it when refs didn't take poo poo from bad guy wrestlers. Like HHH would always be cheating and ignoring Earl Hebner, so Hebner would pull him away and straight up shove him.

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005
Non plaudite modo pecuniam jacite.

^^^^That's the way it should be.

Trip Larsen
Oct 4, 2006

My great-grandfather started Larsen Pork Products with little more than three pigs and a killing hammer. Today, I'm proud to say, we kill more pigs than pig hepatitis.

TheJoker138 posted:

Dean Ambrose could be Stone Cold 2.0 right now, but the WWE hates that people like him instead of John Cena so instead they made him into Bugs Bunny.
This is true. If Ambrose had gotten hot in the late 90's (and Stone Cold didn't exist) like he did in late 2014 he'd have been the champ 3 times by now

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

I dont know, they seem to be more competent than say, Angel Hernandez or Cowboy Joe West

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

Stex T posted:

lol nobody in pro wrestling is union

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Stex T posted:

lol nobody in pro wrestling is union

Ahem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7Ugj2fPpcw

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Lol

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
lord tensai sucked

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008