Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CoolCat
Jun 29, 2015

I would describe my little guy as not being a great fan of cuddles. He doesn't mind in small doses, but when it comes to a long cuddle session (watching TV on the sofa / going to sleep etc) even if he is with his eyes closed, purring and snoring, the second I remove my hands from him he is off like a bullet. The worst thing is he will just go to sleep about 8ft away from me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

CoolCat posted:

I would describe my little guy as not being a great fan of cuddles. He doesn't mind in small doses, but when it comes to a long cuddle session (watching TV on the sofa / going to sleep etc) even if he is with his eyes closed, purring and snoring, the second I remove my hands from him he is off like a bullet. The worst thing is he will just go to sleep about 8ft away from me.

When I picked up Jade she was super cuddly, but I tend to be an... active sleeper who shifts/rolls over a lot, so she refuses to sleep on top of me.

And when I'm on the PC she gets mad that I'm moving my hands and not scritching her so she'll jump off my lap and refuse to cuddle. Unless i'm watching a movie in which case she'll sit in my lap for 5-10 minutes before deciding enough is enough.

But even if she's not as much of a cuddler, she's ALWAYS near me and I can almost always reach out a hand and find a cat cheek to scratch or soft catfur to pet so I don't mind so much.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

khy posted:

And when I'm on the PC she gets mad that I'm moving my hands and not scritching her so she'll jump off my lap and refuse to cuddle.
Does Jade make it a point to dig her claws into your flesh before she jumps to absolutely make sure you know how displeased she is with your noncompliance? Because Wallace will do that to us, the fat poo poo.

With our cats, it really depends on how cold they're feeling. In the winter, they're the cuddliest of bugs, burrowing into our sheets at night or sitting wedged between our butts on the couch. Now that it's summer here, they're both sleeping on the other couch ten feet away. Though Wallace has his spates of affection and Scott will love anyone with the potential promise of food.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

kinmik posted:

Does Jade make it a point to dig her claws into your flesh before she jumps to absolutely make sure you know how displeased she is with your noncompliance? Because Wallace will do that to us, the fat poo poo.

She only has rear claws (Not my doing, she was like that when I got her!) but it seems like she was much more... prone to use her claws when she was younger.

One year after she lived with me and you'd routinely see scratches on my arms/chest from playtime or picking her up and whatnot.

These days it's been over a month since I got a good long red line down my arm.

Nightmare Zone
Aug 3, 2014

Do you like sucking jalapenos?
We have three cats. The cuddliest one is an older female cat with jaw problems. She has learned that we will massage her cheeks and gums if she lays on us so she does so whenever possible. She mostly drapes across laps and has pulled down pants in the process, more than once.

The second cat is also an old lady but less affectionate. She bites people when she's notgetting enough attention, which was reinforced (before we got her) as a kitten so she hasn't gotten out of the habit. Mostly she passively accepts cuddles and kind of mellts so she's like, a pile of mushy cat until she Really wants pets.

The last is a male kitten that was born feral and loves to play, but doesn't get the concept of cuddling. He thinks it's just an invitation to play with your hands. He's kinda weird.

CDX
Dec 3, 2004

Cheap, but not as cheap as your girlfriend.
I have three cats: Ricki (7 yr old female), Jack (5 yr old male) and Norman (shade less than a year male) and they're all cuddly but on their own terms. They are all very social although Jack takes a while to warm up to people.

If you walk into my house for the first time, Ricki will be on your lap inside 2 minutes. She kneads your leg or neck or arm or whatever is closest when she is being really affectionate. If we're sitting on the couch watching a movie or something, she is on someone's lap.

Jack doesn't really cuddle very much, but he always has to be lying right beside me (mainly, he's my buddy) if I'm on the couch and he sleeps in the bed with us. If I am in front of the computer, he has to be on my lap. He LOVES belly rubs and chin scratching.

Norman is the most affectionate. He chirps and meows at us if we're near him and he wants attention, and when he's affectionate he can't sit still for more than 10 seconds. He has to find a new way to lay on you or touch you. If you're standing or walking around and he's affectionate he's under your feet, and his tail quivers he flexes it so hard to rub against you. He is also a big belly rub and chin scratch fan.

I've had pretty good luck with cuddly/social cats over the years. The cats I had when I was a kid were similar.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

My boyfriend's cat Ramirez isn't very cuddly, which bums me out a little since I grew up with very affectionate cats. My parents got Jaffy as a kitten around the time I was born and that cat put up with soooo much poo poo from little me and loved me and the rest of my family anyway. After he died (rip Jaffy) I found a big beautiful orange Maine coon mix at the shelter that I called Kai. Kai was the best cat. Seriously. He spent every night curled up next to my pillow and I constantly woke up with this enormous ball of orange and white fur in my face. He used to walk my little sisters to the bus stop in the mornings, too.

I moved out/away from home almost ten years ago and Kai is getting pretty old, but he is as chill and loving as ever. I only visit every couple years or so but as soon as I walk in the door and say "Kai-kitty!" he comes running with a big happy MIAU :kimchi: You can just scoop him up in your arms and stick your face in his great fluffy belly and he's like yeah, this is my life, it's awesome.

Ramirez is a very good cat and enjoys getting his head rubbed, and likes hanging out near his people, but he is not cuddly by any stretch of the imagination. When he was little my boyfriend spent more time playing and rough-housing with him than snuggling him though so bf has nobody but himself to blame, rip.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Like most cats, mine waits until you're in the middle of concentrating to decide she really needs more love from you, which manifests in walking under your legs and swishing her tail in such a way as to dip on every bit of food on the coffee table because she's a real fucker. Also at night she'll come sleep either next to my head or at my feet, because she's needy. She also lets me get away with belly rubs a lot, especially if I catch her while she's standing around.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
My cat is cuddly. Less so in the summer than in the winter. In the winter she'll curl up and sleep in my lap for hours at times. In the summer it's hot so she usually only does it for a few minutes at a time, before curling up in her cat bed (next to my chair), or one of her other cat nests (cat cave, cat bunker, cat carrier).

She almost always demands some cuddle time when I get home and gets irritated when I'm trying to take my shoes off, because she's not getting cuddles fast enough. I usually get a quick "thank you" cuddle after she eats before she bounds up to the top of the couch to lounge around. There's also the bed time cuddle, unless I've stayed up late and she's already gone to sleep, she'll come give me some cuddles before curling up on the other pillow.

One last guaranteed cuddle is about 3 minutes before a timer goes off :negative:

squeee
Apr 23, 2009

the thrill of the chase.
I have a 50% cuddle rate in my house. The older girl loves to snuggle and be held. She constantly asks to be picked up and carried. I just joke that it's basically training for having a child one day because she just acts like a hairy little child. She always has liked snuggling but the younger boy wants nothing to do with it.

He's the kind of guy who acts like he's all petrificus totalused up when you carry him. He will sit on laps for like a minute before leaving and going to lay somewhere else nearby. The only reason he comes near me is to try and hump things in my general area.

He's a jerk.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

When around Gabecat, he leaps into your lap, makes some bread, then goes straight to sleep. So yeah, I think I have a cuddler.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Hugo is a big love sponge. He's on my lap right now. He wants all the belly rubs.

His brother Olaf is usually content to hang out nearby people, but likes to have a good petting session or two every day.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

This is my neighbor's smug fat gently caress cat.

He likes to snuggle my head when I sleep over.

He's pretty special.

He never shuts up.

Except when you pet his belleh :3:

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

My cat Amaya is too loving cuddly. Every night it takes at least ten minutes of repeatedly shoving her away in bed before she gives up on trying to literally lay on my face and smother me. Sometimes it's physically difficult for me to eat, use my phone, or read, because she won't stop headbumping my hands or face.

I mean I love her but she is often aggressively affectionate.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Cassie is the cuddliest thing, she will plonk herself down on my mousepad and stick her head on my hand. Also, when I go to bed, she'll curl up next to me and purr super loudly.

Maddie is less cuddly, but sometimes she wants to mash her face into me.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Mrrrrmnff... No... why do you ask?

CoolCat
Jun 29, 2015

Pile of Kittens posted:

This is my neighbor's smug fat gently caress cat.

He likes to snuggle my head when I sleep over.

He's pretty special.

He never shuts up.

Except when you pet his belleh :3:

Awesome stuff!

CoolCat
Jun 29, 2015

Ferremit posted:

Mrrrrmnff... No... why do you ask?

Jealous :-(

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

CoolCat posted:

Jealous :-(

I was lucky to get a photo when her bipolar was in the right direction- She would be affectionate less than 1/10 of the time? The rest of the time shes either being frightened of everything, in her "I loving hate you" mode or smearing herself with her own poo poo in fear or *something*.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Burger doesn't really cuddle much, and when he does he tends to get up if you shift at all. It's just as well, though, because he's 18 pounds (not fat, just a little chubby and overall big)

Heinie, on the other hand, will happily spend half an hour purring on my lap, get up to go eat, then come back for another half an hour, multiple times a day. I've never had a cat as cuddly as him.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Oscar does not like to be picked up, but will pretty much let you do whatever other than that. Every night he hops on the bed and smashes his forehead into my face until I have given him sufficient pets, at which time he will sleep between me and my wife's feet at the end of the bed.

Pippin will let you pick him up, and will come sit near you wherever you are settled in to say hi and get pet. Just don't touch his belly or he will scratch the poo poo out of you.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
I picked up Lily from the shelter 4 months ago and according to her papers, she was a year old when I got her. So far I've found she's not super fond of being held and is certainly not a lap cat but I've also noticed she's slowly been warming up more and more to me. She's gotten to the point where she no longer tries to claw the poo poo out of me if I have to hold her and her struggling is a minor thing. I can cradle her like a baby most of the time and she will accept it and meow at me. Hoping she keeps up the trend and continues to warm up over the months and years.

Honestly this is about as "cuddly" as she gets most of the time, always wanting the belly rub.

Lonk fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 31, 2015

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Hugo hates laps and hates being held, but lie down in bed and he'll always come right up to your face and fall asleep with a little paw draped possessively around your neck (and conveniently within ear-sucking range the little rear end in a top hat)

Decoy loves laps, loves being held, will vault up onto my shoulders from a bench without warning and gets emotional if I don't scoop him up for lots of hugs when I get home. Lie down and try to get him to snuggle with you and he becomes a whirling shitdemon of claws and hate.

So between the two of them it's 100% of the day covered by cat hugs - Decoy during the day and Hugo at night.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Filbert gets very lovey at night when we're in bed. He has a special blanket that is his, and he lays on it and kneads like crazy. Usually at this point we're petting him, and he's purring so hard he's chirping slightly. Then he wants to do face daps (where he bonks into your face -- or your eyesocket!) and then he goes back to the blanket.

Otherwise, he has no use for you. He might rub against your leg, but that's about it.

Filbert and his blanket:

FIzzgig is a giant belly slut. If you don't have both hands deep in his floofy, floofy belly, you aren't doing it right. He's not exactly cuddly either, though. He sometimes gets up on the back of my chair and sort of oozes down into the space between the chair back and my back and will sleep there happily for as long as I can stand being that position.

Photo evidence of belly-slutitude:

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

If I let my cat Mulder sleep in my bedroom, he will try to lay on my face and eat my hair. Purrs like a maniac while doing so.

Dead Pikachu
Mar 25, 2007

I wish you were real.

Everyday cuddling ritual with Bubby the fatass. He also likes belly rubs.

Thigh Gap
Nov 16, 2013

si

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."
Why are tabbies always the fat ones...? My tabby boy is extra fluffy, too.

He recently decided that the top of this small cabinet was his.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
My tabby is the skinny one! It's my calico who is like twice her size.

This is really the only picture I have of the two of them together, at least since they were kittens, it doesn't much show.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
One of mine is super cuddly. He is my little spoon when I go to bed. The other one really likes being pet, but not sitting on laps or being held. He usually sleeps next to my head. Both good cattes imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
My cat Panthro likes being the little spoon, but he likes curling up behind me when I get in bed too. I sleep on my side, and he likes chilling in the little area made by my bent legs.

• Locked thread