Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

Whats a period costume? a bucket of fake blood over a maxi pad suit?

jane austin novel adaptations that kind of thing films like independent day are just a bit silly really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

Shirley Crabtree posted:

jane austin novel adaptations that kind of thing films like independent day are just a bit silly really

Whats so novel about them?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

lol

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

Whats so novel about them?

a novel is like if you can imagine a film but without pictures and you read it theyre pretty good you should give it a go

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

Shirley Crabtree posted:

a novel is like if you can imagine a film but without pictures and you read it theyre pretty good you should give it a go

I think thats called the 'blurb' on the back of the dvd case, rather than novel.

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin
"Welcome to EARF!!!!"

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

"Welcome to EARF!!!!"

I don't get this. Will Smith clearly says "Welcome to Earth!" when he punches the alien.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I don't get this. Will Smith clearly says "Welcome to Earth!" when he punches the alien.
It's a racist thing.

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I don't think so?

E: Thankfully IGN solved this mystery for us years ago
http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/why-does-everyone-think-will-smith-said-welcome-to-earf-you-racist.452818890/

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

I don't think so?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnnBNSlIqMs

He clearly says earth

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin
Yah I just watched that, I'll concede my error. Though tbf I think he said it like "earthff"

e: ok maybe more like "earthhh"

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

Yah I just watched that, I'll concede my error. Though tbf I think he said it like "earthff"

nah it's just a racist internet thing from like 10 years ago.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

no. he really says Earth.

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin
Wow this has been very enlightening.

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

limeincoke posted:

Every time I watch that movie I'll never understand the ending. Like, they take down 1 ship and then use morse code to tell the other countries how to take them down.

Except they took that 1 ship down by mounting 1 final offensive utilizing the remainder of the world's air forces and still had to rely on 1 guy flying into the mega weapon at precisely the right time to cause it to backfire (lol). How the gently caress does that help anybody?

"hey guys we totally know how to destroy their ships! You just have to wait for the aliens to prepare to fire their mega weapon, and then have a suicidal pilot fly a plane right into it at exactly the right moment! Good luck! We got um beat!!!!'

No no, they deactivate the previously-impenetrable shields by loading a computer virus into the mothership and blowing it up, thereby allowing all other ships to be destroyed w conventional earth weapons.

I remember seeing the laptop w a CD drive and being utterly blown away

Axolotl
Jan 23, 2002
Whatever
You know they redubbed the voicetrack for the VHS and DVD releases for just that reason, right?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Axolotl posted:

You know they redubbed the voicetrack for the VHS and DVD releases for just that reason, right?

You mean he says earf now?

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

You mean he says earf now?

Sweet vindication

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

limeincoke posted:

Every time I watch that movie I'll never understand the ending. Like, they take down 1 ship and then use morse code to tell the other countries how to take them down.

Except they took that 1 ship down by mounting 1 final offensive utilizing the remainder of the world's air forces and still had to rely on 1 guy flying into the mega weapon at precisely the right time to cause it to backfire (lol). How the gently caress does that help anybody?

"hey guys we totally know how to destroy their ships! You just have to wait for the aliens to prepare to fire their mega weapon, and then have a suicidal pilot fly a plane right into it at exactly the right moment! Good luck! We got um beat!!!!'

Those were just the american forces you dummy.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Axolotl posted:

hm... but did they?

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Irradiation posted:

Those were just the american forces you dummy.

No they specifically say it's squadrons from around the world.

And even if it were it still doesn't explain how they take them down other than getting incredibly lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

id42 is actually about how they really destroyed all those ships in a grueling war of attrition that left most of the planet uninhabitable

• Locked thread