Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
Just got back from seeing the movie (3 of us in entire theater) and I really liked it. It was no t2 but it still owned.

I'm glad they didn't stretch out the good John thing like most movies would have and mega credit for how they treated an aging Arnold.

Also I haven't seen much game of thrones but now I agree I would also like those eyebrows wrapped around my dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

fuckin that's a lotta words just to say "i don't know either bud :( "

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

General Tofu
Nov 20, 2014

by Lowtax
You should still show your kids T3. It was legit good.
IMHO it's at Salvation that the sucking began

solo humping pro
Jun 4, 2015
they should have stopped at #2

just fucken stop rebooting poo poo please for the love of god not everything needs a loving continuation

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
T3 was pretty bad. The casting was awful, the action was poor and the only really memorable scene in the movie happens in the last few minutes

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

At least this time there's a plausible reason to explain why arny is in it and why he's old, which is more than 3 or 4 managed to do.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

3 and 4 had much more logical reasons. Neither is a good movie though.

3 looks like a masterpiece compared to 4 and 5 now.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I rewatched the original a few days ago and the thing that stuck with me most was how terrible the acting is.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Gatekeeper posted:

fuckin that's a lotta words just to say "i don't know either bud :( "

Yeah, it made no sense to me, either.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

oldpainless posted:

I rewatched the original a few days ago and the thing that stuck with me most was how terrible the acting is.

I found it strange how much of the opening hour or so is spent with Paul Winfield and Lance Henriksen like they are important character, only for them to be gunned down in the Police station.

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

solo humping pro posted:

just fucken stop rebooting poo poo please for the love of god not everything needs a loving continuation

Amen. T5 was pretty bad but at least I enjoyed most of the stuff involving Arnold and J.K. Simmons.

The new Robocop and Total Recall were a big empty bag of nothing.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Hope new predator turns out ok, and the new alien.

Although it is getting weird sitting through previews and being surprised to see new original IPs; mostly expect to see previews for sequels, prequels or remakes.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ultrabindu posted:

I found it strange how much of the opening hour or so is spent with Paul Winfield and Lance Henriksen like they are important character, only for them to be gunned down in the Police station.
playing with the audience's expectations is v. good

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

ultrabindu posted:

fact: movies that don't do this are garbage

thats why t2 isn't as good, we should have spent more time with fat security twin

Max Hammer
Jan 3, 2008

ANTIFREEZE!!!

Phobic Nest posted:

Amen. T5 was pretty bad but at least I enjoyed most of the stuff involving Arnold and J.K. Simmons.

The new Robocop and Total Recall were a big empty bag of nothing.

Very true, but the new Dredd was fantastic.

Axolotl
Jan 23, 2002
Whatever

ultrabindu posted:

Believe it or not, initial scripts for the Terminator were more like a Sci-Fi suspense thriller, in that you were supposed to believe the Terminator was like a serial killer from the future. I had mentioned before that scenes were cut (or never filmed) of the Terminator cutting open the legs of his victims to look for evidence of an injury. You were supposed to think this was his serial killer trademark. The reveal that the Terminator was a cyborg and had an agenda to change the past was supposed to be a shocking twist, like the chestburster in Aliens.

Rewatch the movie with that in mind and it makes more sense.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Max Hammer posted:

Very true, but the new Dredd was fantastic.

I havent seen the original but I imagine its not connected in anything other than ip to Dredd, which does indeed rule.

General Tofu
Nov 20, 2014

by Lowtax

Drone_Fragger posted:

At least this time there's a plausible reason to explain why arny is in it and why he's old, which is more than 3 or 4 managed to do.

T3 did explain why Arnold is in it- John asks him if he remembers him, blowing up cyberdyne etc. and he says he's not the same Terminator.
John asks "you come off an assembly line or something?" and Arnold replies "Exactly"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yeah that whole bit is one of the few good scenes in the movie.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Terminator 1 and 2 and TSCC are good. 3, 4, and 5 are not.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

"Don't do dat."

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ultrabindu posted:

I like how they brought back the shrink in T2

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

etalian posted:

I like how they brought back the shrink in T2

And in T3!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
Terminator Salvation:

Pros:
- lots of fun action
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPKG3WMkMxQ
- Even though this guy has horrible horrible aim with his minigun, he's still pretty drat intense looking. I definitely respect the cold rear end don't give a poo poo killing machine style

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPKG3WMkMxQ
- These 3 clips are arguably my favorite scenes in the entire movie. This giant terminator sounds BADASS AS poo poo on a quality sound system, and 90% of the time this dude has perfect robot like aim, which owns (it picks off speeding cars with ease)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VeXn9KEvSA
- As a bonus, shooting a tanker of gas only makes the gas leak, realistic enough. They set off a gas tanker with a flare, gently caress yeah
- As another bonus, as we all know a big rear end gas fireball wouldn't do a lot of damage to a huge rear end metal machine, although it apparently hosed up its accuracy because after that it can't hit for poo poo anymore
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq8BlVT4KtY
- The terminator motorcycles are badass at times, as seen when they are able to dodge debris in the road easily. They show them firing mini versions of the big guy's electric charge type things, but they fire like twice and only make the tires catch on fire, still they are pretty cool. The ball dropping scene hitting the motorcycle/flying ship is pretty corny, but hey all terminator movies have a bit of that here and there

Cons:
- like someone else already said, way too much flinging around by the terminators instead of squeezing/stabbing/100s of other ways they could have been killed instantly. These are efficient killing machines after all c'mon (although capturing humans was pretty cool, pretty cold)
- I know the minigun terminator I mentioned can only do so much to make a minigun accurate, but come on, he's like 100 yards from a dude standing still, and the bullets don't get thatttttt close
- It felt like another movie featuring Terminator stuff, not a Terminator movie

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jul 10, 2015

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

For anyone who's interested, this http://www.ew.com/article/2015/06/3...partner_zergnet contains a pretty good summary of all the time-travel shenanigans.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Toadvine posted:

I havent seen the original but I imagine its not connected in anything other than ip to Dredd, which does indeed rule.

The original blows the new one is fuckin' great.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Zoran posted:

Terminator 1 and 2 and TSCC are good. 3, 4, and 5 are not.

The show blows for the same reason those sequels do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

Shaddak posted:

For anyone who's interested, this http://www.ew.com/article/2015/06/3...partner_zergnet contains a pretty good summary of all the time-travel shenanigans.

quote:

Terminator Salvation could have done some truly insane things to the Terminator timeline. There are two well-known alternate endings to the fourth film. In the first alternate ending, John Connor dies—but his face and voice live on thanks to Marcus Wright, a cyborg, who assumes John Connor’s identity to maintain the undefeatable image of John Connor, Savior of the Humans. This would have been a shockingly clever retcon, flavored with paranoid propaganda: The human leader was a robot the whole time!

But there was another, totally insane-o ending, revealed to our own Chris Nashawaty by Terminator Salvation director McG and lead Christian Bale. In this ending, Marcus Wright would have assumed John Connor’s identity—and then immediately killed all the leaders of the Resistance, including Kyle Reese, presumably chopping off all those closed loops and launching the Earth into a neverending Dark Age.

Huh, never heard about that before.

Crazy yeah, but I'm in favor of any ending where somebody finally does it right and gets a decisive victory; don't care much which side gets it.

• Locked thread