Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The only downside with not using canned chcikpeas is you don't get that aquafaba for making vegan merengue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
You can reduce the cooking liquid to get your own aquafaba too.

I made tahini once but it didn't seem very economical. Maybe I needed to find a better source of sesame seeds.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I was looking at making my own tahini until reading a lot of vitamix posts taking about how blending the sunflower seeds to make tahini somehow tends to frequently kill a vitamix. :confused:

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

You blend sesame seeds to make tahini so that shouldn't be a problem unless you made a typo.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Nah if you blend em without enough to thin it out you can easily kill a vitamix. Doing so made mine smoke pretty badly.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Weird. I use a food processor and it never seemed like an issue.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I do! Absolutely a favorite for us and made often.

Feasting at home instant pot minestrone . Note they also link to a gremolata recipe that mixes with it and absolutely makes the soup amazing. For that I use our extra small 2 cup food processor to blend everything.

The gremolata is awesome on its own and mixes with tons of dishes.

Made this last weekend and it was amazing! The gremolata is greater than the sum of its parts.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Colonel J posted:

Weird. I use a food processor and it never seemed like an issue.

Yeah I have no idea. Maybe it’s because food processors have a wider base and bigger blades to get everything moving. Though you’d think a Vitamix would be able to do it.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Some more Chinese food:

Smashed cucumber salad.

Scallion noodles.

Mushroom soup.

Okra salad.

Cauliflower.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I've been in feed-the-cravings mode lately.

Open-faced sandwiches on pita bread.
Mashed chickpeas, some textured vegetable protein, sour cream, sauerkraut, "Mexican" seasoning, tabasco sriracha, onion, and cheese.

Pasta-free lasagne that fell apart a bit but was bloody delicious.
The tomato sauce layer was a jar of pasta sauce beefed up with textured vegetable protein, red lentils, celery leaves, basil, onion, and stock powder.
The béchamel layer was a soy milk white sauce, some cottage cheese someone left in my fridge, nutritional yeast, garlic, and nutmeg.
Between layers of baked zucchini strips, topped with too much cheese.

Bánh xèo. Sort of.
Besan flour instead of rice flour. Made the cheat-y way with rice paper.
Filled with textured vegetable protein, carrot, celery, and green onion.
Dipping sauce was fysh sauce, sriracha, and lime juice.

Hotteok-ish.
Too lazy to make actual hotteok, so I used store-bought puff pastry.
Filled it with 100% dark roasted-peanuts peanut butter (a mistake, too overpowering; should've used chopped roasted peanuts instead), sunflower seeds, and brown sugar.
Pan fried them, then reheated them in the air fryer.

All pretty delicious.

* All "dairy" is vegan, obvs.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Samovar posted:

My partner made some home-made sunflower seed tofu based off this recipe and I HIGHLY recommend it. Without anything other than a light frying in salted oil (eaten in a general stir fry), they gave a wonderfully nutty, almost beefy taste. VERY good.

Old post but yeah, sunflower seeds give a nice meaty flavor when toasted. I used to make a pasta sauce that was just ground toasted sunflower seeds, tomato (and herbs/spices) and beans. The flavor really reminded me of my mother's meatballs.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

No pictures, but I made some mercimek köftesi (turkish lentil balls) recently: https://vidarbergum.com/recipe/turkish-lentil-meatballs-mercimek-koftesi/

They were super good and easy to make. They have a nice tomato/pepper flavor, a good soft but cohesive texture, nice pop from the onions, and some nice lentil savoriness. Gotta make them again, I wonder what they'd be like if I fried them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Ghost Cactus posted:

Made this last weekend and it was amazing! The gremolata is greater than the sum of its parts.

It really is, it's shocking. It makes the soup because the gremolata is *that* good. I mean it's a great, simple soup in the first place, but yeah I would not hesitate for a second to put that gremolata on basically anything.