Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

:parrot:

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

Thank you for the quality explanation. Golden manbabies for you goonsire.

The pleasure, of course, was all mine.

Bonus: Throughout the age of artillery, mainly WWI and beyond, there have been many soldiers' deaths which are reported to appear bizarrely peaceful. Many incidents of soldiers lying on the ground, their uniforms clean, with no visible wounds. A lot of times, they would "appear to be sleeping." In reality, these soldiers were in a spot where they were spared the shrapnel, but not the concussion, which would cause instant death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Dead Gay Romans posted:

Holy poo poo lol. Page 3 of a random fireworks thread in GBS we learn that someones house is going to randomly explode some day soon.

Should we find this house or just monitor the relevant local news sources for the inevitable headlines?

meh this is neo-gbs, we're too olde and lazy to care.

And depending on how old it was to begin with (I'm not an explosion expert but I think newer dynamite is much better stabilised and wrapped), it could be alooong time, possibly never without external interaction. Most likely scenario is 1) someone either finds it in 50+ years, doesn't know what it is and has pooled nitroglycerine and they wrecklessly move it, or 2) they demolish the house to build a new one in 50+ years and it explodes

I know they still occasionally find stuff in old mines that have been there for 100 years and it's been sort of ok.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jul 7, 2015

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

dogcrash truther posted:

No one dies like Gaston
No one fries like Gaston
No one's terrified family cries like Gaston's

lol

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

dogcrash truther posted:

No one dies like Gaston
No one fries like Gaston

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

dogcrash truther posted:

No one dies like Gaston
No one fries like Gaston

:lol:

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW

Acid Haze posted:

The pleasure, of course, was all mine.

Bonus: Throughout the age of artillery, mainly WWI and beyond, there have been many soldiers' deaths which are reported to appear bizarrely peaceful. Many incidents of soldiers lying on the ground, their uniforms clean, with no visible wounds. A lot of times, they would "appear to be sleeping." In reality, these soldiers were in a spot where they were spared the shrapnel, but not the concussion, which would cause instant death.

This part from his brother confuses me tho

quote:

"There was no rushing him to the hospital. There was no Devon left when I got there," said 25-year-old Cody Staples, who called it an accident.
Like, did he mean he was gone in the mental sense. Cause when I first read that and some other accounts I figured the dude's head was very obviously destroyed in some way.

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Al Nipper posted:

Like, did he mean he was gone in the mental sense. Cause when I first read that and some other accounts I figured the dude's head was very obviously destroyed in some way.

Yeah same. I was hoping more news articles would cover this in a less-confusing manner

Dead Gay Romans
Mar 19, 2015

Pitbull enthusiast

Al Nipper posted:

I'm pretty sure he means his head was very clearly damaged beyond all repair in an immediately visual way.

Tape a mortar to a watermelon and light it, for a fun DIY forensics kit.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
That one goon who lost fingat.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Acid Haze posted:

^^ We at least need to know what city we're talking about.

I already stated the city. I honestly forgot about this for a couple years. Maybe I could mention it to the police, but I have no clue if they will be able to track it down.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I really do not understand how legal fireworks carry that much power.
I mean a reusable mortar? These are only legal to be used by trained professiknals in Germany and Sweden, and afaik also in most other EU countries.

Plus it takes an extra kind of stupid to light it on your head and I am sorry to say I am not surprised this happened in the US, a country where people typically learn to judge the effect of alcohol on your mental capabilities way too late due to stupid laws.

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

Al Nipper posted:

Not sure. Powder burns covering his face? There's really no description of how he looked after the fact that I know of.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Hopper posted:

I really do not understand how legal fireworks carry that much power.
I mean a reusable mortar? These are only legal to be used by trained professiknals in Germany and Sweden, and afaik also in most other EU countries.

Plus it takes an extra kind of stupid to light it on your head and I am sorry to say I am not surprised this happened in the US, a country where people typically learn to judge the effect of alcohol on your mental capabilities way too late due to stupid laws.

You need a license to legally touch off anything more than a few dozen grams of relatively mild explosive in the US, but the actual explosive charge matters less than what it's in, especially at point-blank range, and you could make a respectable grenade even out of depressing European sparklers with a little of the kind of DIY ingenuity guys who detonate bombs with their faces have

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jul 7, 2015

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

jonathan posted:

I already stated the city. I honestly forgot about this for a couple years. Maybe I could mention it to the police, but I have no clue if they will be able to track it down.

Sorry, missed that. Chilliwack, BC. Nothing in their news archives. I mean, I don't know what to do with that one. I wouldn't want to be the guy that has to explain how I know about an (allegedly) large quantity of explosive hidden... somewhere.

But I bet with police records you could narrow it down pretty effectively. Even just records from city hall. Anything with the guy's name, really, might give you a hint.

If there's a medium-large sized property management group (that may manage some rental properties in the city/province) they would probably have his name in their records, and the address if he rented from them. If he was ever behind on his rent and went into the eviction process, the lease may have become a matter of public record. If he died during an ongoing lease agreement, and he had no next of kin, the landlord would have had to hire someone to remove the furniture and personal effects from the property. This would probably be the same company - usually a company that rents storage units - that would handle evictions where the tenants refuse to leave, are then forced to leave, and their possessions impounded by that company. That kind of company would usually operate in a smaller area, probably covering several nearby cities. They might have records, but I don't think they're required to keep them for long after they auction any stuff they may have taken. Local police would definetely know who does this since most city police forces have one or more officers who manage all evictions in their jurisdiction.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

e: Since you say he died just North of this city, they may have brought his body back there or to another local hospital. Someone should still have his death certificate and that is typically public record.

Acid Haze fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jul 7, 2015

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Lord of Pie posted:

lol He was Disney meathead Gaston

No Belle prize winner.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

My high school used to have Roman candle fights on Halloween until we burned a neighbour's garage down, because fireworks on Halloween are a thing in Canada for some reason.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Lord of Pie posted:

lol He was Disney meathead Gaston

No one blows up quite like Gaston

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Acid Haze posted:

e: Since you say he died just North of this city, they may have brought his body back there or to another local hospital. Someone should still have his death certificate and that is typically public record.

Yeah he wasn't living there when he died, might be a dead end but I think I will contact a police and they can investigate further.

Fun fact: did you guys see that video that went viral a few months ago of the dude on the Harley running from the cops and cutting through the mall ? At the end of the video a picture of the recovered motorcycle is shown, and a sticker on the bike says "In memory of" and my buddy's name.

YeahSo!
Feb 1, 2015

by Lowtax

jonathan posted:

Kinda tragic.

*gives your hand a quick squeeze* Sorry you lost a good buddy, Jonathon. Cool he was having good times on the way out though.. and hopefully not too painful for him at the very end.

Thank you for your reply too. I couldn't quite articulate that in a way that didn't seem retardedly insensitive. I knew what I meant but, no matter which way I posed the question, in text it looked stupid and like I was being a dick. Thanks for not taking offence, J. :)

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

SaltLick posted:

No one blows up quite like Gaston

LOL upvoted :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bog pixie
Feb 23, 2013

dogcrash truther posted:

No one dies like Gaston
No one fries like Gaston