Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Mega64 posted:

Alright. Today we'll get into the actual gameplay of this game. Every Final Fantasy has a gimmick to learning new abilities and spells, like materia or espers or jobs or whatever.

This game has you learning abilities from items. For instance, the starting dagger that Zidane starts out with teaches the "Flee" ability, which gives you a guaranteed run from encounters you can run from, at the cost of 10% of the gil you would've won from that encounter. You can still run as normal with L1/R1, of course.

The Mage Masher is nice enough to teach Flee AND Detect, but most weapon and armor upgrades won't be so nice. You can use the ability as long as you have the weapon or armor piece equipped. So if I get another dagger that doesn't teach either of these abilities, I can't use them any longer.

The exception, of course, is if you gain enough AP from battles to permanently learn them. Detect and Flee both require 40AP to learn. Once they're learned, you can go to the next weapon or armor or whatever and learn abilities from there.

General reception to this system is "meh" at best, as generally you'll need more AP to master abilities than you normally would spend fighting enemies in dungeons, and it can be annoying to be stuck with lower-tier equipment especially when the game incentivizes you to steal good stuff early to make use of it only for you to still need to hold off to finish getting this ability.

On the other hand, a lot of abilities are pretty unimpressive anyway (Detect lets you see what items an enemy is holding, pretty pointless when you can just get a guide and use it to get a link to GameFAQs to get what the enemy is carrying), though obviously it's hard to tell what's good in a first playthrough. At any rate, it's not the best way to handle abilities in the series, and it is a bit puzzling that they reuse this mechanic for the Tactics Advance games. I don't mind it so much myself though so I'll deal.

Hold the phone, dude I know its probably not the best manners to do this at the end, but I cant let this slide. There are people that don't absolutely adore this mechanic? Its the single best ability learning system in existence! Sure Growlanser 4 does it infinitely better than Final Fantasy 9, but its the same system and god I love it so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Silver Falcon posted:

What the hell does it mean to have your Eidolons "un-flagged?!"

The first time you use an Eidolon, it guarantees the long animation. Presumably the game then sets a flag saying "this has now been summoned ever" to tell it to roll for the usual chance of a short animation in the future. So if, for whatever reason, you want to preserve this totally insignificant thing, you can't use any summon, ever. gently caress this guide.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Quote is not edit, gently caress

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

quote:

...but I'd like to keep my Eidolons un-flagged.

Haha holy poo poo :spergin:

quote:

Obviously, you'll want 9,999 wins, 0 draws, and 0 losses.

Obviously.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

quote:

What kind of perfect guide is this? You obviously need 9,999 wins, 9,999 draws, and 9,999 losses.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Simply Simon posted:

I expect all of this post-challenge stuff to be documented in video form, before Mega64 closes the thread! Chop chop!

:suicide:

Thanks a ton for showing that insanity off! Next time I play FF9 I'm doing the opposite of that guide.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Mega64 posted:

:suicide:

Thanks a ton for showing that insanity off! Next time I play FF9 I'm doing the opposite of that guide.
No prob, it was tons of fun!

I was mostly referring to Gamesfreak though, would love to see more of that...whenever you're ready. In case it wasn't clear, I do have an admiration/disgust relationship with the perfect game guide, and I do love every single video Gamesfreak uploads. Maybe worth a thread of its own here?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

My avatar of choice would obviously be

You know, the first thing I've ever seen in any way related to FF9 was this. Can't say the actual game measures up to what my imagination had drawn based on those FMV fragments.

Still, this was a solid LP. Thanks for completing it.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE: Gitan laughed "Ha ha you are too slow this time you loving." THE END

Only thing that really matters is magic evasion. Holy protection is alright but optional.

You can't save between Trance Kuja and Necron, but you do get a menu, so it's fine to prepare for just one.

My offense is exactly what you expect.

Trance Kuja has a mean Flare and Holy. They're one-shots, but single-target.

Bort's Holy fails to contribute adequately. Trance Kuja has 27 magic defense and no holy weakness, rendering the spell short of the 5,550-ish it needs to cut a hit.

Trance Kuja's Flare Star is 35 damage. Gitan and Ratchel can take two and still stand. Bort dies in two. Quark would take 3 but they need to be at 1 HP so it's usually fatal. The magic evasion is mostly for this.

After a point, Trance Kuja starts countering attacks. This can hit Flare Star which can get very dangerous very fast, but in my run he mostly stuck to Flare, Holy, and Curaga.

His Curaga is so weak that it doesn't undo Bort's Holy, much less give him enough to survive an extra hit.

I'm popping Elixirs instead of Ethers. No need to save them, I couldn't possibly use all of them against these last two fights.

Trance Kuja is only hard if he gets really flare star-y, and if it hits too much.

"Heh, jokes on you, this is a one w-"
"Jesus Christ Gitan shut up and kill death already"

I can't do anything about the moves that will kill me, so I pretend to have a plan for the other ones. Necron can cast the ~agas and Holy so elemental resistances are on equips.

Literally nothing stops his two problem moves.

Blue Shockwave sets HP to one. Given this is the usual state of Gitan & crew, it's a breather.

Offense is the usual. Necron does have Wind and Holy weaknesses though.

He casts Shell, that's why he's so blue in a few shots. It also makes Holy less important than usual.

I should really stop forcing it in fights besides Hades, you know. Bit late to think of it.

The REAL poo poo Necron does is Grand Cross. It can cause Berserk! Confuse. Darkness? Death; Doom, Freeze - Heat, Mini, Petrify, Poison, Silence, Sleep, Stop, Trouble, Zombie, and/or single-digit HP.

So many things I ran out of punctuation halfway through.

Shrinking Ratchel, poisoning Bort, petrifying and 7-HPing Quark, and killing Gitan is a rather light punishment all things considered.

He always follows it up with Neutron Ring. It's actually got more attack than Ozma's Curse, though Necron being 30 levels lower with 8 less strength makes it a little weaker.

Which is to say it only vastly overkills the party all the time, forever.

I knew petrify would happen, but I wanted it to happen. It's easier to deal with than a KO to Neutron Ring.

Thankfully Ratchel still had her auto-life, and Necron elects to Blue Shockwave. I wish it could hit so I could use some Limit Glove.

Since their HP refuses to be 1, Quark uses Auto-Life more. It's important to keep it going when this fight will exhaust it and last long enough we'll need it back. Also since I can't set up Quark to have one HP, full heal after Trance Kuja anda ll.

I was extremely lucky in this fight. He preferred Blue Shockwave. It's his only offensive action that will fail to kill someone.

Even a lucky run still might get the second Grand Cross.

Ratchels asleep but angry, Bort is... still dead from Neutron Ring, Quark got petrified again, and Gitan is a tiny zombie.

Thankfully, that Thievery was the last hit I needed. I barely pulled through.

See you in hell, shitlord!!

So, uh, I guess that's the level 1 run.

"Ugh, fine. 'Depossess thee of a bovine, man.'"

A review of I Want to Be Your Canary, performed by Tantalus Theater Troupe at Alexandria Castle, 1800:

"Excellent set design. Crew cast Medeo seventeen times, which is a bit anemic. Lead actor's performance of Marcus was excellent until Act 2.

"He then threw off his cloak, threw in a blatantly anachronistic reference to obscure knives, and then got Queen Garnet to leave her seat, run on the stage, and make out with him right there while everybody clapped at this mockery of theatre. I think they forgot about the play after that, leaving this performance woefully short of the minimum fifty-eight castings of Medeo Lord Avon clearly intended. One and a half stars."

"Auto-Life, duh."
"Christ Gitan you are not very poetic."

Gitan said to Kukri "You saved me"
"Yes I did I am glad you are safe now but we should have sex its important to remember that we human"
"OK"
"Let's get down for brass taxes"
Then they hatd sex but it didnt go so well The end

So, FF9 at level 1. It was really neat when it isn't really random. Parts like the Alexandrain Gauntlet and Iifa Tree were mostly just obnoxious. The parts after the airship were actually interesting, because it's shocking how much you can neuter bosses with clever gear. If most of the game weren't waiting for Stop to land or zombies to behave I could without guilt suggest taking this on if you wanted a twist to FF9. If you can stand the doldrums of disc 2, it's rather worth it for the payoff in the endgame, where the same 105 HP protagonist can take on anything and everything through clever set-up and tactical skill.

I like to live dangerously, by the way.

You know, after all that, these guys deserve a little break.

Here, some experience, on the house.

No one can deny that you've earned it, Gitan.

REGISTER OF RESETS:
One to Tidal Flame Garnet for the hell of it; Unknown number lost to plant spiders spawn numbers; died to Flans without Flee; Untimely crit pushed Sealion to fatally Blizzara; less work to suicide on optional Type A fight than to win or reset; incredible number of resets for phoenix down RNG; and then again; Marcus gained levels; Snared by the Mandragoras leaving Quan's Dwelling; Only one on a pointless phoenix down rng; Antlion did not cooperate; Again, Antlion did not cooperate; Soldiers beaten too hard once; twice; thrice; Gitan lied Cleyrans died; Tinhank and Marcus didn't make it; bonus fourth Soldier beating; Alexandrian Gauntlet toll: Beatrix 3, Beatrix vs Bandersnatch 2, Beatrix vs Bandersnatch 1, Beatrix 3; Knuckleheaded death to Ralvuimago; Actually two of them; dunked by Hilgigars; Stroper sweepstakes; resources depleted by zombies; Stroper sweepstakes 2; ran out of magic tags; Stroper sweepstakes 3; Auto-Potion; Beaten to Bort; zombie-on-zombie violence; more zombie-on-zombie violence; Stroper sweepstakes 4; Stroper sweepstakes 5; Magic Elevator Ride zombies: Gitan striked, Roulette suicide, Roulette suicide 2, Gitan striked 2; Counter and Auto-Potion do not mix; Ramuh and Shiva insisted on sucking; Forgot the Forgotten chocobo tracks; got hosed up on the way; Epitaph; Epitaph; Epitaph; Epitaph grinding is risky; Desert Palace Random Encounters: Annoying, Dangerous, Random, Bullshit, gently caress, Dammit, Why; Bishop removed Zombie; Grand Dragon Thundaga; Yan'd; Friendly Yan'd; Why did the gargoyle die; these resets aren't alone: Abadon, Abadon, Abadon, Shell Dragon; Random encounter Mistodon wipe; OZMA; OZMA; OZMA; OZMA; OZMA; OZMA; OZMA; Hades cleaved.

TOTAL: 71 confirmed resets.
TOP THREE: Ozma (7) Desert Palace (7) Stroper (5)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Congrats on the run! It was definitely one hell of a ride and I'm glad you shared your insanity here.

bluerocker posted:

Sorry if this is messy. I wanted to get it out before the thread closed.

Zeikier posted:

I was meaning to do this around the end of Disc 2, but here's Vivi in the Exposition Void

Thought of making a Level 1 Run reference but I was drawing a blank.

Also forgot to thank you guys for the sweet fan art earlier! Thanks! Added them both to the second post.

And that's pretty much it! I'll try to do some more avatars from the last two discs in the next couple days and after that I'll submit it to the archive.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Congrats OFS, and thanks for showing off the level one run.

Stropers: only slightly less deadly than the superboss

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
You did it, you crazy sheep. We're all proud of you.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Good on both of you crazy bastards, Mega for doing everything (except Tetra Master, and lolTetraMaster) and OFS for actually completing this level 1 run. You're both a crazier breed of bastard than I, and I respect you for it.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

TOTAL: 71 confirmed resets.
TOP THREE: Ozma (7) Desert Palace (7) Stroper (5)

You know, now that my daughter has taken a liking to Dora the Explorer, all I can think whenever Swiper comes on is, "STROPER NO STROPING!" And then a stroper snapping his tentacle and saying, "Aw man!" Gives me a chuckle every time. If I had any artistic talent whatsoever I'd draw it but I still wanted to share.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Grats on finishing the level one run OFS, was looking forward to the conclusion.

Also cross-posting this from the FF14 thread:

:eyepop:

bluerocker
May 30, 2013

Never trust anything with beady eyes and a knife. Especially if it offers hugs.

Bregor posted:

You know, now that my daughter has taken a liking to Dora the Explorer, all I can think whenever Swiper comes on is, "STROPER NO STROPING!" And then a stroper snapping his tentacle and saying, "Aw man!" Gives me a chuckle every time. If I had any artistic talent whatsoever I'd draw it but I still wanted to share.

Have a quick doodle

Sorry if the image quality is a bit crap. I drew it in the sketchbook too big for my scanner, and I had to take a photo with my phone.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
wow OFS

you had the exact same thing happen that I ran into in one playthrough (which I posted about in this thread before)

Necrons AI just cannot put up with petrified partymembers sometimes and will keep spamming Blue Shockwave at them

Mega64
May 23, 2008

bluerocker posted:

Have a quick doodle

Sorry if the image quality is a bit crap. I drew it in the sketchbook too big for my scanner, and I had to take a photo with my phone.

Great stuff. Added to the second post!

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Grats on finishing the level one run OFS, was looking forward to the conclusion.

Also cross-posting this from the FF14 thread:

:eyepop:

Holy poo poo.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

bluerocker posted:

Have a quick doodle

Awesome! Thanks!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Final Total of 48 avatars! Now I'm done.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I looked for the FFIX version of the A.I. movie poster but couldn't find it. Can someone do the needful?

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

I was so excited to see this screenshot when this update came, and it didn't disappoint. :allears:

bluerocker
May 30, 2013

Never trust anything with beady eyes and a knife. Especially if it offers hugs.

Bregor posted:

Awesome! Thanks!

No problemo. It was fun. (Though it surprises me what innocuous comments inspire me to do little doodles.)

But that begs the question - if Zidane is Boots (which he clearly is, tail and all); then does that make Garnet Dora? And who's the map? And the backpack?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Mega64 posted:

Final Total of 48 avatars! Now I'm done.
Oh hey, thanks.

NeruVolpi
Apr 23, 2016

I've been waiting for this!:getin:

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Its me, trying to beat a deadline

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Simply Simon posted:

This is the bane of the Final Fantasy IX perfect save. It'll take a long time
no matter which way you slice it.

:stare:

I sincerely hope that no one has ever done this.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Zeikier posted:

I was so excited to see this screenshot when this update came, and it didn't disappoint. :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
OFS' last update reminds me of a question I've had for a good while about plays in FFIX. Are they largely improvised? Garnet mentioned reading books about plays and was able to do a scene with Marcus at the beginning, but it seems like this play is different each time they do it.

Also, I don't know about Save the Queen, but the scene of King Leo killing Blank is what is added when you have the Hammer in your inventory.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

OFS' last update reminds me of a question I've had for a good while about plays in FFIX. Are they largely improvised? Garnet mentioned reading books about plays and was able to do a scene with Marcus at the beginning, but it seems like this play is different each time they do it.

Also, I don't know about Save the Queen, but the scene of King Leo killing Blank is what is added when you have the Hammer in your inventory.

They had to improvise when they kidnapped Garnet because they all suddenly became part of the play. I'd imagine the play at the end is the true version, Zidane's little stunt aside.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

From what I understand, it used to be very common for plays to include a lot of improvised and/or ad-libbed dialog. Not only did players had to keep so many different plays in their head, the authors tended to keep tweaking them as the performance went on - this lead to the wrong lines being said, or the right lines said at the right time, and the only way to avoid a disastrous flop was improvisation. Making matters worse, in Shakespeare's day the concept of "intellectual property" didn't exist, and printers ran off unauthorized copies of popular plays in large numbers, getting these plays by having players provide their half remembered parts. There might easily be twenty or thirty different versions of the same play being performed at any given time, and as actors traveled between companies this introduced further garbling.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
FFIX is on sale on STEAM for a bit over 10bux.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Final Fantasy IX is now in the LP Archive.

Thanks for reading!

• Locked thread