Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
in solaris an amorphous planetary hivemind manifests phantoms from the subconscious of the explorers, in event horizon a hell dimension leaks through to manifest phantoms from the subconscious of the explorers, pretty different imo

but seriously the movies are a world apart in tone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ultrabindu posted:

Wait, so if you you are copied by the Thing you would know that you are a copy?
Sure, why not? The Thing is imitating you perfectly, but it's still an imitation and not real. Even in the original movie we see the Thing actively making Thing-like decisions even when it's fully "camouflaged" - the dog-Thing finding another victim to assimilate before it gets put in the kennel, or Blair begging to be let out of the utility shack.

One thing that's pretty constant between both movies is that the imitations absolutely act like they're the real deal right up to the very last second, even if it means risking their own destruction. Palmer keeps up the facade long enough for him to get tied up and blood-tested, at which point he goes bonkers. And in the prequel, Carter begs for his own life at the very end and insists that he's human right up until Kate lights him on fire, even after outing himself as a Thing.

Moridin920 posted:

yeah dunno bout the back third but even with that I like it a lot

awesome soundtrack that has since been used in many many trailers

saw that movie while I was rolling for the first time it was pretty :stare:
Sunshine is totally loving gorgeous on bluray. I agree that the last third is a pretty big tone shift but I don't think it ruins the experience.

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

yeah but the american remake has Insane Clown Posse for absolutely no reason at all in it.
Wait really? It's been forever since I saw the remake and I don't remember that at all.

Speaking of Solaris I recently got done reading the original novel and it's pretty great. The version I linked is the first translation directly from Polish to English that was approved by the author's estate, and it's really readable. The book is a lot heavier on the science and philosophy than the movie versions are. Apparently Stanislaw Lem liked both movie adaptations but felt they both kinda missed the point of his book by omitting a lot of the science in favor of the characters.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 14, 2015

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i loved the book and never bothered with either movie

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Gateway by Frederik Pohl would adapt well.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Xenomrph posted:

Speaking of Solaris I recently got done reading the original novel and it's pretty great. The version I linked is the first translation directly from Polish to English that was approved by the author's estate, and it's really readable. The book is a lot heavier on the science and philosophy than the movie versions are. Apparently Stanislaw Lem liked both movie adaptations but felt they both kinda missed the point of his book by omitting a lot of the science in favor of the characters.

I view Solaris the book as part of a semi-series Lem had, which I'd say also include Eden, His Master's Voice and Fiasco. First of all, massive disclaimer, these books aren't the usual sci-fi fest, but slow and ponderous works. Lem discusses things like man(kind)'s role in the universe, the (im?)possibility of making meaningful contact with other intelligent life, and how nuts the Cold War was. I can't remember off-hand what the English translations were like, sorry :(

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Prey and Timeline, both by the same author, have the distinction of being the only two books I not only said, "gently caress this I'm not finishing this poo poo" but actually threw across the room in disgust. When the humans scared off the carnivorous nanobots by loving FLOCKING, that was the point that my squad broke. You know what you call four gigantic piles of meat in a row? A loving buffet table! You don't go to the Golden Corral and then say, "Oh my god, the briskets are flocking" and run away in a panic, and neither should nanobots that are intelligent enough to form a ghost human to communicate with humans.

Then in Timeline they had this elaborate pseudoscience explanation of how the time machine worked and how sensitive and delicate it was that they had to surround the machine with circular tanks of water because a single cosmic ray could throw off the calibration and make you get to the destination with your organs rearranged (and that kind of happened to the villain) but one of the main characters asked, "okay if this machine is so sensitive how do we build something in medieval times that can get us back to the present" and the answer was, "well you don't, the guy that comes back as you is actually a different guy that thinks he's you but he's really from a parallel universe that's exactly like ours in every way except they know how to build time machines that can bring people back."

It's not really bad writing, it's pretty good actually, just wacky, but it's well worth reading Chrichton's biography to get to the part where he studied psychics and went to a spoon-bending camp and was taught authentic psionic powers that would allow him to bend spoons but he wouldn't ever say how to do it or demonstrate it afterwards because it was no more impressive than being able to bend your finger and if you think bending your finger is awesome then you are stupid and gay. Easily the best opening line in any book since Dirty White Boys, "It is not easy to cut through a human head with a hacksaw", but falls off once it gets to "I totally have psychic powers from going to Hooked on Psionics back in '82."

Anyway that's my Michael Chrichton story thanks for listening GBS.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Network Pesci posted:

Prey and Timeline, both by the same author, have the distinction of being the only two books I not only said, "gently caress this I'm not finishing this poo poo" but actually threw across the room in disgust. When the humans scared off the carnivorous nanobots by loving FLOCKING, that was the point that my squad broke. You know what you call four gigantic piles of meat in a row? A loving buffet table! You don't go to the Golden Corral and then say, "Oh my god, the briskets are flocking" and run away in a panic, and neither should nanobots that are intelligent enough to form a ghost human to communicate with humans.

Then in Timeline they had this elaborate pseudoscience explanation of how the time machine worked and how sensitive and delicate it was that they had to surround the machine with circular tanks of water because a single cosmic ray could throw off the calibration and make you get to the destination with your organs rearranged (and that kind of happened to the villain) but one of the main characters asked, "okay if this machine is so sensitive how do we build something in medieval times that can get us back to the present" and the answer was, "well you don't, the guy that comes back as you is actually a different guy that thinks he's you but he's really from a parallel universe that's exactly like ours in every way except they know how to build time machines that can bring people back."

It's not really bad writing, it's pretty good actually, just wacky, but it's well worth reading Chrichton's biography to get to the part where he studied psychics and went to a spoon-bending camp and was taught authentic psionic powers that would allow him to bend spoons but he wouldn't ever say how to do it or demonstrate it afterwards because it was no more impressive than being able to bend your finger and if you think bending your finger is awesome then you are stupid and gay. Easily the best opening line in any book since Dirty White Boys, "It is not easy to cut through a human head with a hacksaw", but falls off once it gets to "I totally have psychic powers from going to Hooked on Psionics back in '82."

Anyway that's my Michael Chrichton story thanks for listening GBS.
yeah but 13th warrior turned into a goofy enjoyable movie for me as a 15 year old so i give crichton a pass

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Prey is great if when you get to the bit where they are trapped in some desert caves about to get eaten by nanorobots you put the book down and pretend that happens and that's the end.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Network Pesci posted:

Prey and Timeline
Prey was a gigantic piece of hot poo poo garbage. But I remember liking Timeline when it came out when I was young :shrug:

Though that reminds me, I just read Nexus which is really loving good scifi thriller, and fairly well researched/grounded in reality for the most part (besides some bad ~firewalls and posthuman quantum cluster~ stuff), and it's basically Crichton if Crichton didn't make up a bunch of non-sensical stupid poo poo

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Daedra posted:

yeah but 13th warrior turned into a goofy enjoyable movie for me as a 15 year old so i give crichton a pass

13th warrior owns without qualification

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Blue Raider posted:

13th warrior owns without qualification

i havent seen it since because i didnt want it to turn out to actually be poo poo

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Ddraig posted:

Solaris, the 1972 version is better than Event Horizon and largely tries to do the same thing but done by industrious Russians rather than slovenly and stupid Americans.

The slovenly and stupid 2002 remake by Americans is dumb as gently caress though. Don't watch that.

Yeah but the American version has George Clooney's rear end in it

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

InterFaced posted:

Its a fun movie with cool spaceships and space satan. I want more movies with space satan.

Yeah me too

Like a WH40k movie but just the people and space demons
:goonsay:

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Daedra posted:

i havent seen it since because i didnt want it to turn out to actually be poo poo

it kicks rear end to this day and is bizarrely violent

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Daedra posted:

It's good, but just pretend the enemies are orcs or something. If you try to think of them as people the story makes no drat sense at all.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

numberoneposter posted:

Gateway by Frederik Pohl would adapt well.

Speaking of sci fi books that should be movies, I'm still waiting for David Fincher to get off his rear end and do the Rendezvous With Rama adaptation he's been talking about since about 2000.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Xenomrph posted:

Speaking of sci fi books that should be movies, I'm still waiting for David Fincher to get off his rear end and do the Rendezvous With Rama adaptation he's been talking about since about 2000.
whos going to ruin forever war again???

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

numberoneposter posted:

whos going to ruin forever war again???

Ridley Scott

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Blue Raider posted:

sphere had a killer first hour

Yeah I need to take a cold shower when they first breach and explore the ship and discover its history/origins, its exactly my kind of sci fi

• Locked thread