Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Long story short, my condo has been on the market for 2 weeks and has had a lot of traffic with a lot of interested parties bailing because we don't have an in unit washer/dryer and for good reason. There's no good place to put them.

Let me back up by saying my condo is worth $390-$420k in Los Angeles in really good condition and already staged.

There is one closet to put a washer/dryer and according to all the contractors I've talked to it would be impossible or stupidly expensive to run a vent to that closet for the dryer so I'm pretty much stuck with a ventless solution which doesn't bother me. I've been quoted $1200 to get the hookups installed into the closet which is basically water in, water out, power and drywall work. The cheapest ventless dryer solution is an LG all in one for $1500.

So for a ~$410k condo that's not getting any traction because of the washer/dryer situation, should I:

A)Just get the hookups installed for $1200 and tell potential buyers they can do whatever they want as long as its this exact LG unit?

B)Get the hookups and all in one washer/dryer installed for ~$3000 (after all the other fees)

Basically is the extra ~$1800 for the appliance worth it on a $410k condo to get buyer traction? I know it's a very subjective question. How does it come off when someone just sees hookups vs a shiny new appliance? There's a lot of people looking to get condos like mine for their poor kids and I would think they want something that's ready to go but even that has shades of gray. Is a missing appliance that much of a hindrance to these people? Is the wow factor of a new appliance worth the cost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
This is kind of what a realtor is for, but having looked at condos recently myself I bailed from a few instantly that didn't have washer dryer hookups. If there was some kind of contraption that that worked (even if it sucked), I probably would've been tricked into buying it.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
It seems like spending less than 1% to get the condo sold is good money spent versus a lot of buyers losing interest due to no in-unit laundry, but I guess 2 weeks is a pretty short time period to give up on the issue.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Harry posted:

This is kind of what a realtor is for, but having looked at condos recently myself I bailed from a few instantly that didn't have washer dryer hookups. If there was some kind of contraption that that worked (even if it sucked), I probably would've been tricked into buying it.

Ok, so does just having the hookups sell you on it or do you really need to see the machine(s) to be sold?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Shaocaholica posted:

Ok, so does just having the hookups sell you on it or do you really need to see the machine(s) to be sold?
I think it needs hookups - including vent. I wouldn't buy a place that didn't have a vent, in no way would I want that moisture in my home. That sounds painful.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Nah, they have these fancy dryers where the water condenses inside and you dump the tray after every load. That LG being one of them. I've never used one so I don't know how they are, but the principle is sound!

I think I would not be interested in a unit with no hookups if there were other options on the market around the same price. Having the hookups, even with no equipment, makes getting in a lot easier. But having the equipment in place would probably help some too, especially since the dryer options are unusual.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
You should have a ready to go washing machine / dryer given the prices you're talking about. *Lots* of buyers want 'move in ready' and don't want to deal with the stuff you're talking about. Do whatever is the cheapest solution as most people will have no clue about ventless stuff and probably not care.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
You don't need to manually dump water from a ventless dryer if you have a drain hookup.

I'm leaning towards getting the unit...

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 7, 2015

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I'd do the full install, 400k property and shared laundry or laundromat don't go together very well. You don't want your hookups being flagged by an inspector due to no vent either.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
If it's a standard dimension for Washer/Dryer, then just get the hook-ups. People want to choose their own types when they move in, in my experience.

The opposite is true if the hook-ups require a custom or non-standard set (like an All-In-One). No one wants to gently caress with those, so in that case, just buy the perfect unit that fits in the space you have and make it perfect.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
400k in LA is bottom of the market right? I would do the hookup with unit cause your buyers are going to be too broke to have an extra $1,500.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Elephanthead posted:

400k in LA is bottom of the market right? I would do the hookup with unit cause your buyers are going to be too broke to have an extra $1,500.

Haha, 400k is mid range for a condo. Houses on the other hand are pretty crazy out here.

Most Some of the 300-500k condos are being bought with parents money. So its not like the tenants will be that strapped but they may be clueless on home ownership and life in general.

Since there's really only one unit that will work(compact size) I guess I'll just have to get it. The closet will fit standard size units but gently caress will it be tight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Did you end up making your money back on your investment?

• Locked thread