Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Just getting a new thread idea going. Simple thing, judge how the past year went with your team's offseason moves last year, including trades/drafting/free agent signing/use of said players. You can also include in-season as well if you're a team like the Thunder or Phoenix.

If you have trouble remembering what your team did, just type in TEAM NAME Offseason report 2014 and CBS has a good summary of what happened.

I'll get the ball rolling.

Chicago Bulls

Draft
-Traded 16th and 19th pick for Doug McDermott
-2nd rounder Cameron Bairstow

With the frontcourt being a fairly big bloat last year, bigs weren't in depletion as they usually were in years past so I'm wary of guys who simply did not have the minutes to develop. So I'll say Pending.

Free Agency
-Amnesty Carlos Boozer's 16 million expiring
-Signed Pau Gasol to 3 years/22 million
-Re-Signed Kirk Hinrich 2 years/5 million
-Signed Nikola Mirotic for 3 years/16 million
-Did not re-sign Luol Deng, DJ Augustin, signed Aaron Brooks for minimum
-No notable in-season moves

With the failed 2nd attempt on signing Melo, the Bulls rebounded by getting two excellent Bigs for great contracts, especially with the cap going up. Pau Gasol is still one of the most skilled Bigs in the game and gave the Bulls much needed reliable points creation with his versatility to play either position.

Nikola Mirotic was a good rookie that needed more playing time in the regular season, but the usual injuries to Taj and Noah allowed that to happen.

Not re-signing Deng was a bummer because Dunleavy decided to copy his injury tract, but everybody was injured regardless so meh. And obviously we couldn't sign Pau which was a good trade-off until he got unfortunately injured in the playoffs.

Overall grade: B+

Great free agency, pending on not judging McDermott because of inconsistent time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Miami Heat

Draft
-Traded up from pick 26 to pick 24 in order to draft Shabazz Napier because Lebron tweeted about him once

Free Agency
-Lost Lebron James to the Cavs even though we totally picked his favourite PG in the draft
-Resigned Chris Bosh even though it looked for a while he was going to go to Houston
-Wade opted out and resigned a shorter 2 year deal
-Resigned Chalmers, Haslem and the Birdman
-Signed McRoberts, Danny Granger and Loul Deng as FA's

When you lose LBJ it can only equal a pretty lovely offseason but I thought the Deng and McRoberts signings weren't too bad, no clue why they signed Danny Granger. McRoberts ended up getting injured and barely played a game but Deng was as reliable as you would hope having just survived several years of the Thibs System (tm). Napier didn't really show a lot and seems to be undersized to make it in the NBA. We also signed Goran Dragic before the trade deadline which was a great trade since he has ended up re-upping with Miami as well as landing the number 10 pick Justise Winslow, we also plucked Hassan Whiteside from total obscurity and he had a break out season, but everyone is a little wary of whether or not he can continue.

Overall grade: C-

A fair assessment for the offseason in a vacuum, but if you include the in season moves then I think you can bump it up to a B-. If Bosh can stay healthy, Wade can play 60 solid games, Whiteside doesn't end up rolling his car into a ditch and Winslow can play actual minutes then I think Miami should be back in the playoffs again next year

eBay Huckster
Jul 26, 2005
Cleveland Cavaliers

Draft
- 2nd rounder Joe Harris

gently caress if I can even remember the original rationale behind this team's draft picks last year, since everything got flipped on its head just two weeks later. Given the trade the main pick was involved in, this gets a grade of who gives a poo poo.

Free Agency
- Signed LeBron James to 2 years/$42.1 million (player option, declined)
- Signed Mike Miller to 2 years/$5.6 million (player option, accepted)
- Signed James Jones to 1 year/$1.45 million
- Signed Shawn Marion to 1 year/$1.45 million
- Traded #1 pick Andrew Wiggins, Anthony Bennett and a first-round draft pick for Kevin Love
- Traded a D-League player for Brendan Haywood's contract

In-Season
- Traded Dion Waiters to the Oklahoma City Thunder, a bunch of spare parts and an 8th grader to the New York Knicks, and a first-round pick from OKC to the Denver Nuggets for Timofey Mozgov, J.R. Smith, and Iman Shumpert

FA would've been nicer without needing to pick up LeBron's entourage, but as it stands they picked up the best player in the world in LeBron James, a very solid PF in Kevin Love, and a bloated contract that might bring the 2015-16 team's depth from "decent" to "good" in the next 3 weeks. Solid A- on its own, with the only missing points being the lack of any depth whatsoever leading to LeBron's HGH Miami field trip mid-season.

The in-season trade, on the other hand, saw the Cavs explode from a 49-win pace (18-12) through the first 30 games to a 65-win pace (34-9) through the last 43 (with an absolutely bonkers 75-win pace, 33-3, when Love wasn't resting for entire games), partially on account of the fact that David Blatt didn't need to trot out Dion Waiters and Mike Miller's corpse for 40 minutes. A loving +.

Considering the team's overall body of work, tempered by the fact that Love wasn't being utilized fully and that Kyrie probably could've seen slightly more rest during the season to maybe stave off his body disintegrating into dust throughout the month of May, let's go with an A.

eBay Huckster fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jul 7, 2015

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Atlanta Hawks

Draft
1st round - Adreian Payne out of Michigan State
2nd round - Walter Tavares from Spain

Adrein Payne looked like a great fit for the Hawks. He ended up spending most of his time with the Hawks in the D-League, though, playing in only 3 games during the regular season, before being traded to the Timberwolves for a future lottery-protected first round pick. Tavares has been called stateside this off-season and will have a chance to play with the team in 2015-16. C: At least they later got back the pick they used on Payne. Kind of.

Free Agency
Acquired G/F Thabo Sefolosha in a sign-and-trade with Oklahoma. $12 million over 3 years. In the trade portion of the deal, Thabo Sefolosha went to Atlanta and draft rights to Giorgos Printezis in exchange for the draft rights to Sofoklis Schortsanitis. I feel sorry for "Hometown" Brandon Leak who would have had to read that press release several times that day. Sefolosha made a lot of news when a police officer broke Sefolosha's femur during an arrest in NY on April 8th, ending Sefolosha's season.
Re-signed guard Shelvin Mack - 3 years, $7.3 million. Mack had a bunch of games in 2014 where he scored a solid amount of points off the bench.
Re-signed PF Mike Scott 3 years, $10 million. Scott was a big presence off the bench for the Hawks as their primary back-up to Millsap in 2014. He continued his strong run in 2015, with another above average season according to PER.
Signed guard Kent Bazemore - 2 years, $4 million. Bazemore emerged late in 2014 with the Lakers. He spent 2015 coming off the bench at shooting guard, averaging 17 minutes per game, as a solid backup.
Did not sign any of the stars they were reportedly pursuing when they freed up cap space by trading Lou Williams and Lucas Nogueira to Toronto for John Salmons. The Hawks' pursuit of Luol Deng proved to be the downfall of GM Danny Ferry.
C for not really making the team much better on paper

In-Season
Traded 2014 1st round pick Adrein Payne to the Wolves for a future lottery-protected first round pick from 2017-2020. On the court, the Hawks had a system that worked, so it wasn't as though they desperately needed to acquire a player in-season. They managed to stay relatively healthy, with all of their 5 starters playing at least 70 games. The season-ending injury to Sefolosha sucked but at least it wasn't Horford.
Off the court, the Hawks continued to be one of the most disfunctional organizations in sports. In September, it was reported that Danny Ferry had been recorded using racially insensitive language during a conference call in June in regard to Luol Deng. The remarks were recorded by then co-owner Michael Gearon, Jr. Gearon called for Ferry's dismissal but CEO Steve Koonin announced that the team would discipline Ferry instead. Ferry ended up asking for indefinite leave, which was granted, and head coach Mike Budenholzer took over basketball operations. The Hawks were officially sold in April to a group that will keep the Hawks in Atlanta for the foreseeable future. A for picking up a future first round pick and finally getting rid of the Spirit Group. :hfive:

Considering the Hawks had a historic season for the franchise without selling-out the future of the team, I think I have to give them pretty high remarks. They didn't panic and just throw money at the best available player when the failed to sign a star last off-season. They built solid depth over last off-season while continuing to acquire pieces for the future. At the same time, they failed to win a title and create one of the historically great teams in the sport, the standard to which all Georgia teams, both college and pro, are held to for some dumb loving reason I have yet to understand after a decade of living here.
B

I'm worried I won't be able to say the same thing a year from now but it feels like the Hawks never get enough credit for building a team that is greater than the sum of its parts year-after-year.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Houston Rockets

Draft
1st Round - Clint Capela, Swiss Dunking God
2nd Round - Nick Johnson

Johnson was pretty meh, and since it's Kevin McHale and he's a rookie he had trouble getting minutes. Capela spent most of the season in D league destroying fools with booming dunks and thunderous blocks, then came to the NBA and got some real minutes in the playoffs thanks to DMo's injury and Joey Dorsey being Joey Dorsey. McHale took a liking to him and he acquitted himself well for a rookie who can't shoot and is still raw

Free Agency/Trades
Signed Trevor Ariza - He started the season super hot, shooting nearly 50% from three, then quickly remembered this isn't a contract year and crashed back down to Earth. Defensively he was huge all year long and took a lot of the pressure off Harden, but also played way too many minutes and was visibly tired near the end of the season.

Signed Joey Dorsey - He's Joey Dorsey

Traded for Jason Terry - I assumed at the time that this was just an expiring contract to deal away at the deadline, but he played well enough and showed enough leadership to remain on the team all year then when the playoffs rolled around was the starting point g:barf:

Signed Big Papa (Kostas Papanikolaou) - He showed some flashes early on but got hurt and never worked his way back into the rotation. Eh. He's a non guaranteed contract going into 2015-16 and is at this point probably just a trade piece, there isn't really a spot for him in the rotation.

Dumped Jeremy Lin on the Lakers and gave up a first in the process, acquired the Pelicans first for Omer Asik. Failed to sign Chris Bosh after dumping tons of assets to make room to give him the max because he's a lying liar jerk who I hate and also Chandler Parsons walked and badmouthed Houston so gently caress him too.

In Season
Signed Corey Brewer and J Smoove, two moves that worked out way better than probably anyone expected. Smoove rained 3s to save the Rockets season against the Clippers in game 6 and yes that actually happened I'm not making it up. Traded for KJ McDaniels who basically never played which made his mom and SAS angry and traded for the only PG in the league older than Jason Terry, Pablo Prigioni, whose shooting of course took a big hit while he was on the Rockets but he also stole at least one inbound pass per game which was cool. Outgoing were Nick Canaan, RIP Canaan ball, also Troy Daniels who did nothing of note, and of course Alexy Shved who came in the Brewer trade and went in the Prigioni trade, he threw up a hilarious hook shot into the fifth row that you may have seen on Shaqtin a Fool

Overall Grade: B+

Letting Parsons walk instead of having him for another year at 700K ended up sucking, but Ariza's defense more than offset the lost offensive production and he ended up being half the price of Parsons so that was somewhat salvaged. Brewer was a great deal that I think a lot of Rockets fans saw coming from a mile away at the start of the season, and getting Smoove off the trash heap for nothing worked out way better than anyone imagined. Considering all the injuries suffered this season, Morey did a good job of slapping some spackle on the team and keeping them going all the way to the #2 seed and the WCF. Good job Morey

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
Golden State Warriors

Draft

No draft picks. Both picks were used directly or indirectly in landing Andre Iguodala and Andrew Bogut.

Free Agency

Before getting into player moves, let's talk about the coaching switch. While Mark Jackson was loved by most of his players(Bogut being one of the bigger exceptions to this)he was hated by the rest of the organization and is loving insane. I'd forgotten the dubs actually pursued Stan Van Gundy first but wouldn't give in to his demands for personnel control and instead stole Steve Kerr out from under Phil "where's your three pointer now?" Jackson's nose. The best thing about Kerr is that in diametric opposition to Jackson, surrounded himself with a great coaching staff with Ron Adams and Alvin Gentry and didn't actively try to sabotage them, pretty controversial approach, tbh. The coaching staff would refine and take the dubs to the next level, both defensively and offensively. They also moved two starters to the bench very smoothly and with no drama, allowing Draymond Green to flourish and Harrison Barnes to develop further.

-Shaun Livingston 3 years, $16m
-Brandon Rush 2 years $2.5m

Livingston was huge for us, absolutely huge. His ability to handle the ball, defend and finish in transition can't be overestimated and while he had an up and down season, showed up big in the playoffs and especially the finals, although his contributions are everything except scoring. Brandon Rush is loving garbage and was outplayed by D-leaguers.

The biggest move was the one not made, trading Klay Thompson, David Lee and one of Barnes/Green for Kevin Love. I was for it early, as Thompson continues to frustrate with his inconsistency(he shot 40% in the Clips series last year and if you take away his one good game in the finals, shot worse in the rest of the finals) but once the ante was upped to include Barnes and Green I was against it. Klay's continuing disappearing act notwithstanding, the dubs don't win a championship without Draymond Green.

The Warriors won the championship while having one of the all time great seasons, so..

Grade: A+

warcrimes fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 7, 2015

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Lakers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Detroit Pistons

2014 marked the firing of franchise legend Joe Dumars and the hiring of Stan Van Gundy as both coach and GM. His hiring came with an impetus to 'win now,' which Stan attempted with all the farsightedness of a typical coach.
Draft:
No first round selection, as owner Tom Gores insisted that Joe Dumars clear cap space for the summer of Josh Smith, and since Cleveland moved up, the pistons were bumped down, and the bobcats selected noah vonleh with their pick
2nd round: Spencer Dinwiddie, a tall point guard fresh off an ACL injury. He performed relatively well down the stretch, he looks like he could stick around in the NBA.

Free Agency:
The summer of stan 1

He signed Jodie Meeks for three years and $19 million. Meeks hit 40.1 percent of his 3s on more than 400 attempts with the Lakers in 2013-14. However this was a rather hollow accomplishment on a bad team. The Pistons also added a bald headed old man in Caron Butler (two years, $9 million). He had as good a season as you could expect from an old 3 playing 4, but got worse down the stretch after Stan traded Jerebko, and Butler had to play extended minutes.

Stan signed a backup pg to replace Rodney Stuckey and WIll Bynum, in D.J. Augustin (two years, $6 million). He played very well after Brandon Jennings tore his achilles, much better than he had off the bench. However, his defense was so atrocious that it became really easy to predict if the Pistons would win or lose based on the pg of the opposing team. Teams like Miami were victories, teams with an effective pg were losses. He was traded, along with Kyle Singler at the trade deadline for Reggie Jackson.
The Pistons also signed Cartier Martin, who did nothing other than to passively be denigrated by Josh Smith (I don't respect no players with dreadlocks[referencing Kenneth Faried, forgetting Cartier was behind him])
As the season opened, Stan traded awesome pf prospect Tony Mitchell (not the d-league mvp tony mitchell, the north texas guy) for Anthony Tolliver. Tolliver performed pretty well on offense, but was a disaster on defense.

Grade: C

Grade, including cutting Josh Smith, but stretching rather than waiving: C+

• Locked thread