Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ricro
Dec 22, 2008

Calico Heart posted:

Outta morbid curiosity... Can someone summarise what's happened since the second ep and how much worse it got?
Jeremy assaults Rachel and she is saved by Chet
Rachel gets someone shot by the cops in a Black Lives Matter plot that focuses entirely on the show's white characters
They make a contestant poo poo herself and then Quinn has a breakdown because she can't have kids
A bunch of other stuff probably, it's tough to remember because the show has glossed over every plot point it tries to introduce this season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

SlipkPIe posted:

Jeremy assaults Rachel and she is saved by Chet
Rachel gets someone shot by the cops in a Black Lives Matter plot that focuses entirely on the show's white characters
They make a contestant poo poo herself and then Quinn has a breakdown because she can't have kids
A bunch of other stuff probably, it's tough to remember because the show has glossed over every plot point it tries to introduce this season

Yeah, this all sounds pretty bad. I think I would have been willing to put up with the show a little more if there hadn't been horrible, lazy character retconning in the first episode. Really sad, liked the first season quite a bit.

It seemed before the show was content on showing how reality TV actually psychologically fucks people up and hurts them. Ironically, the show is now trying to "top" the previous season, mirroring the very thing it set out to parody.

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
In Episode 9, Game of Thrones generally climaxes with giant battles, shocking executions, mass murders, and dragons incinerating entire militias.

In Episode 9, Fargo has massive gun battles interrupted by aliens.

In Episode 9, Mr. Robot takes down the entire financial system and learns that his dead dad has been haunting him for 20 years.

In Episode 9, UnREAL feeds a contestant Ex-Lax and she poops herself in a doorway.

who writes this poo poo

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

SlipkPIe posted:

And she only met the would be daddy like 2 weeks ago, and they're already checking to see how fertile she is.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Remember how someone making GBS threads their pants on a Bachelor-type show was unrealistic?

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Disappointing that no one has called the undercover journo Smellie Bly yet.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

To be fair, the oh so very appropriately named Chad, is a checklist of a reality tv producer's nightmares and dreams.

Bachelor in Paradise is almost like an amazing parody of the bachelor/bachelerette franchise in itself. They take the worst, attention seeking human beings of the past seasons and put them all together with a poo poo ton of booze in their bellies.

Btw is there a reality tv thread anywhere on this forum? Obviously I'm asking for a friend.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Yeah I'm over it. Season 1 owned, season 2 was confusing and it got to the point where the only thing I was rooting for was for Coleman to take the show down and now that's not gong to happen because he magically became an rear end in a top hat overnight

ricro
Dec 22, 2008

Sarcopenia posted:

To be fair, the oh so very appropriately named Chad, is a checklist of a reality tv producer's nightmares and dreams.

Bachelor in Paradise is almost like an amazing parody of the bachelor/bachelerette franchise in itself. They take the worst, attention seeking human beings of the past seasons and put them all together with a poo poo ton of booze in their bellies.

Btw is there a reality tv thread anywhere on this forum? Obviously I'm asking for a friend.

Chad was so perfect for reality TV that we were actually convinced he was a paid actor for a while

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Would this show even exist if the crew didn't constantly gently caress each other as well as their cast? Seems like most this is what causes most of the drama, which I guess is exactly why this sort of poo poo if frowned upon in actually professional environments.

Anyway, this season is definitely more trashy entertainment but so far I just can't look away from this trainwreck. Making the reporter (good guess, whoever called it first) poo poo herself was somehow even worse than the car incident because here normal-Rachel got the exact result she wanted.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The finale was a huge disappointment for me, Jeremy just straight up murdering Coleman and Yael is so outlandish it's practically beyond what I felt was the premise of the show. When the shady poo poo was done under the pretext of covering for gently caress-ups that occurred during filming I was fine with it but the moment a character cold bloodedly murders people to cover up for a trashy reality production I kinda have to roll my eyes, what's the point of that poo poo? the idea was to look at the shady poo poo that goes into manufacturing the drama that appears in these shows, not to have a crime drama or whatever.

We knew these guys were assholes of an enormous caliber but making them intentional murderers is too much. The whole thing with Coleman being a fraud himself (and the fact that it ultimately didn't even matter) was also a little too convenient.

And the actual Bachelor drama was also less satisfying, though that really wasn't my issue with this season, it's just another thing that wasn't quite as interesting as what they came up with during the first season.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
Yeah, I guess that answers how essential to the show Marti Noxon was!

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Ugh. The last episode really was the cherry on the poo poo sunday. If it goes to a third season here's hoping they hire someone who can put it back together again. Anyway I'll wait to hear how its going before watching anything.

One of the things that struck me as funny/bad was Quinn saying yet again "I want to make a bitch bleed" and then it flicks to psychologist who makes this "what the gently caress did she just say face" like she's shocked that anyone could say something that awful. I guess they figured the audience needed to be reminded Quinn was still a bad person even if she just shamed someone who suddenly and conveniently turned out to be a fraud. The psychologist has been sitting in that corner for years listening to Quinn saying poo poo like this and providing advice about how to make bitches bleed in whatever foot half way in the door way she's comfortable with. It was like a how little do you trust your audience if you are willing to mangle character reactions that badly. It would have been less weird if she backflipped in response and then sat back down.

I also thought it was kind of funny how just about anyone can wander onto the set anytime, even the people who were recently hard banned from the area. Like it felt like they're just amazingly lucky the locals don't crash the place on the regular.

I don't really have an issue with them murdering someone, like in combination they recklessly put someone in season 1 under so much pressure she jumped off a roof and it was actually horrific and sad and plausible. Colonel Jeremy in the garage with the wire cutters out of loving nowhere was absurd. If they played that for laughs it might have been something.

"Note: Hot Rachel and Coleman died on the way back to their home planet" would have been better

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Aug 9, 2016

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm really glad I stopped watching after the first two or three episodes this season. The first season was good, but it was already striking a precarious balance as it dealt with issues like suicide and outing someone in front of her family, so Chet showing up as a Lifetime caricature MRA villain was a pretty good clue that it wasn't going to hold together this time as they stumbled their way through dealing with race relations.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Well, drat. I was kind of liking this finale with Darius and Ruby ending up together, thinking it might actually end on a high note after a disappointing and turbulent season.

Haha nope, you get a double murder instead. :ughh:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I checked this thread before watching the finale for some reason and until the last moment I thought emanresu tnuocca was just loving with us and there's no way those two would get murdered. This is not good television by any means, but somehow all the awfulness was still pretty entertaining to watch. In particular, all the stuff they set up for Darius including his princess arriving just in time was hilarious. Still, it's too bad we won't see Coleman burn this motherfucker to the ground, they really need to have someone light a fire under their asses for once.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The most damning thing to me was reading an interview with the showrunner where she doesn't seem to realize her protagonists are villains. There have been a lot of anti-hero dramas about white male protagonists doing evil poo poo, but I think the good ones were mostly made with a pretty solid awareness that they're not about good people.

"It was not necessarily our intention to make them “unlikeable.” We feel that Quinn and Rachel both have giant hearts, and they are in this business producing this show, which makes them frequently do terrible things. And Rachel in particular, that is her essential inner conflict, which has fascinated me since I first read Marti [Noxon]’s and Sarah’s pilot script. Certainly, we saw that there are moments that are pushing that further, but our intention was never, oh, now they’re really being unlikeable or something."

This is a pretty brutal tweet by the interviewer in response:

https://twitter.com/soniasaraiya/status/762892531952562176

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
That season was some serious high school level writing. Godawful. Will not watch another season unless you guys pipe up and say it's utterly magical.

The Ruby arc, in particular, felt like a fairy tale written by a nine year old.

Every character, all season long, from Rachel Quinn and Chet to the contestants felt like they were Muppets acting with terrible writers' hands up their asses.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I liked some things from this season, like Quinn actually having feelings, and us learning about Rachel's past. It makes them more human and seem like not wholly awful people.

I thought maybe Jeremy was going to turn himself in to save Rachel or something but that ending was just :aaa:

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I thought they took a pretty cheap path to "compromising" Coleman by the end, and it would have been way more effective if he was as noble as he first seemed. Giving Rachel a real choice would have made it more powerful when she chose Quinn.

That being said, this season was mostly good and I enjoyed it about as much as the first.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Remember at the start of the season, when Rachel fed lines to Madison? That was fun. The rest of the season a bit less.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Air is lava! posted:

Remember at the start of the season, when Rachel fed lines to Madison? That was fun. The rest of the season a bit less.

Madison needs to join the beach chair club next season.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
I can't get over how the climax of the season ended up revolving around Mary from season 1, rendering all the other crazytown bonkers horseshit that happened this season completely pointless

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Hahahahaha Jeremy actually murders Coleman and Yael? What the gently caress? What writer thought that would be a good idea?

The last few episodes left me feeling pretty low on this show so I'm glad I came to this thread before bothering with watching the finale.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
I thought for sure Jeremy would be ramming them in their car with a big old truck but this was even dumber.
Every single move Coleman pulled near the end was really bad--hacking a phone...okay but then kissing Yael, it was like they slammed their fist on the bad guy button.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Yannick_B posted:

Every single move Coleman pulled near the end was really bad--hacking a phone...okay but then kissing Yael, it was like they slammed their fist on the bad guy button.

It's funny because a lot of people said the first season was so good you wouldn't believe it aired on Lifetime, but some of the issues with the second season feel very much like a reminder that it's a Lifetime Original.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Sinteres posted:

It's funny because a lot of people said the first season was so good you wouldn't believe it aired on Lifetime, but some of the issues with the second season feel very much like a reminder that it's a Lifetime Original.

I'd say the problem is that Shapiro lost Noxon as a person who was able to combine the requirements from Lifetime with the shows artistic vision and was therefore forced to hamfistedly put the Lifetime Original stuff in. How the Quin/Mr. Fantastic stuff played out was just bad.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
I'll bet Yael shat herself in fear when the brakes went out.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The policemen will suspect something from the skid marks.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Season 2 had flaws but it was still a poo poo ton better than say this last season of Walking Dead

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

^burtle posted:

Season 2 had flaws but it was still a poo poo ton better than say this last season of Walking Dead

True.

This was disappointing.

Walking Dead made me angry.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Yannick_B posted:

I thought for sure Jeremy would be ramming them in their car with a big old truck but this was even dumber.

Also the overused trope of threatening the crazy person that you're going to take them down/ruin their life/destroy their plans as soon as you leave. Maybe don't do that?!

But next season should be a crossover with True Detective and have some damaged investigators looking in to the car crash... and then becoming involved with some of the contestants. Oh the drama!

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Binary Logic posted:

Also the overused trope of threatening the crazy person that you're going to take them down/ruin their life/destroy their plans as soon as you leave. Maybe don't do that?!

But next season should be a crossover with True Detective and have some damaged investigators looking in to the car crash... and then becoming involved with some of the contestants. Oh the drama!

Rachel mind and body fuckin a cop investigating the case is a totally plausible angle for S3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Kuiperdolin posted:

The policemen will suspect something from the skid marks.

:golfclap:

Overall this season was a bit poo poo really, which is annoying as I've been trying to convince people to watch the show. Still tuning in for the next if there is one in the hopes this is a blip.

• Locked thread