Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Demicol posted:

They're not going to do Manga Spoiler the helicopter crash, are they? Unless they leave it as a hook for a 2nd season.

They seem to have replaced it as the cause of the fire, but maybe instead they'll have it fly over after and say something like "nope, nothing here!" for maximum heartbreak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I liked the silly low-budgetness and spontaneous feel of the other one more, but this one is also very excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huJ9Niqr6FQ

hambeef
Aug 21, 2004

a kitten posted:

I liked the silly low-budgetness and spontaneous feel of the other one more, but this one is also very excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huJ9Niqr6FQ

i like the megune drawing and the pigeon

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I'm gonna talk about the new chapter in here because why the hell not, and it's not scanlated yet

-Yuuri is clinging to old habits in an attempt to maintain mental equilibrium, on top of her delusional little sister evolving. Her situation makes an interesting contrast with Yuki's from early on; I have to wonder if Miki is going to recognize some of the red flags that she didn't see in Yuki happening with Yuuri
-Yuki has a dream for the future, but it's treated as some dumb secret. Miki thinks she can do it though, so it probably involves being some kinda nurture-y helper-y person thing
-There's a student living in the library whose dream is to read all the books in the college's collection, who makes jokes about being relieved how the zombie apocalypse will ensure no new books are published, which makes her dream a lot more achievable. Miki gives her a photocopied version of their graduation album and suggests that while old books are nice, she thinks that it'd be nice if there were still new books too. The conversation seems to hint that Miki is considering the big picture (again) and thinking seriously about gathering more survivors and supplies, which will probably rub the slovenly college students the wrong way, and possibly cause direct conflict with the xenophobic trigger happy weirdos from the other side of the campus

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

RIP the production team
Eaten by zombies.

Crunchyroll posted:

Availability Information
Due to production issues, episode 12 of SCHOOL-LIVE! will be delayed. We thank you for your patience and understanding.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Delayed like a day or delayed as in a week?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I hate that Hulu only has around 7 episodes available while Crunchyroll seems to be up to date.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yawgmoft posted:

Delayed like a day or delayed as in a week?

Usually delayed means a week at the least for shows because of scheduling.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

a kitten posted:

RIP the production team
Eaten by zombies.

EPISODE 12 IS UP! GO WATCH IT!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

god drat it I just cried while watching a moe high school anime. you win, japan

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
That was depressing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That wasn't as depressing as I expected. Did that look like Kei when they were leaving at the end? I assume the post credits bit featured a manga character that didn't up in this?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Sakurazuka posted:

That wasn't as depressing as I expected. Did that look like Kei when they were leaving at the end?
Yes.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

School-Live is excellent and the only thing close to it in quality is the Thriller/School-Live opening and the two live action ones. loving great show.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

That was a really good last episode, even though it didn't really follow the manga.

The only scene I was really looking forward to being in the anime didn't quite happen though.
Edit: spoilering it just incase http://imgur.com/a/05oLR

And this is the alternate way the fire started in the manga, along with what they took inspiration from for the post credits scene in the final episode, which I thought would have been way more dramatic so I'm surprised they didn't use it.

http://imgur.com/a/yg8qz and it then crashes in front of the school and explodes.

Good show

Demicol fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 25, 2015

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Now that it's all said and done... I don't quite think I like this adaptation.

It's not complete garbage. The use of music and sound in particular was pretty rad in parts. The problems I have weren't done just to make sure the story worked better for a 13 episode series, it was more like... They were sanding the edges off? They wanted to make sure the moe parts were extra moe? And it negatively affected a lot of the cast because of it. They took Miki's character and turned her into a mopey underclassman instead of the serious-minded disruptive presence that causes some mild sparks to fly with the other girls. They also took the most memorable demonstration of Yuuri's inner demons out, like Demicol said. Then there's Yuki's delusions being less like a disposable facade that she keeps up to stay happy and more like a capital D DELUSION. This sucks a lot of the coolness out of those characters for me. Then there's the weird way that Taroumaru is treated, running around like an annoying mascot character for nearly the entire series just to have a tragic zombiefication that is then undone... just so he can die anyway?

And I think that's emblematic of my beef with this adaptation. There's a lot of cliche misty-eyed Japanese sentimentality that replaces the "This is the harsh reality that we are coping with" attitude that the comic has. I'm not asking for a endless misery trudge like the Walking Dead, but I really like how the source material strikes a balance, telling an intense, often dark story without quite tipping all the way over into serial doom, but also while not underselling how messed up things are.

There were little dumb plot things that annoyed me too, like the fact that the slow zombie of a not particularly athletic woman apparently took ONE BITE of the tiny speed dog that we had been seeing outmanuever 4 non-zombified girls for the entire series, or the contrived reason for getting the dog into the shelter, or the fact the zombies were beaten by a heartfelt plea about how great high school is ISN'T IT SO GREAT YOU GUYS I LOVE BEING A HIGH SCHOOL KID IN JAPAN ANYTHING ELSE IS BASICALLY LIKE BEING A ZOMBIE ANYWAY RIGHT!?!?! But mostly it's the tone and character stuff. Also, the last episode didn't even have a final, completely apocalyptic version of the opening sequence, which was probably the thing I anticipated the most every week!

anyway it wasn't total garbage but I'd take the manga over it in a heartbeat

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'll be reading the manga soon, but as an Anime Only watcher i really liked it.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

OnimaruXLR posted:

There were little dumb plot things that annoyed me too, like ... or the fact the zombies were beaten by a heartfelt plea about how great high school is ISN'T IT SO GREAT YOU GUYS I LOVE BEING A HIGH SCHOOL KID IN JAPAN ANYTHING ELSE IS BASICALLY LIKE BEING A ZOMBIE ANYWAY RIGHT!?!?!
I think this is misunderstanding what happened a bit. It had already been established that the zombies retain some of their more deeply ingrained habitual behavior, especially regarding where they travel. That's why we saw Kei finally return to the school at the very end. The zombie students didn't leave because of a heartfelt plea, they left because there was an announcement and the "go home" music started playing, which triggered their dimly-recalled cue to leave the school. The sentimentality was for the benefit of the living.

The anime did sand off a lot of the sharper edges, though. Kurumi barely shoveled anyone, aside from the rush to the car.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I was a really big fan of bringing the dog back to kill it again. Talk about having your cake and eating it too.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Paracelsus posted:

I think this is misunderstanding what happened a bit.

Eh I get that's what the plot logic of what happened, but it FELT to me like that annoying poo poo I said due to delivery

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Of all the cruel things this anime could have done... :qq: :shibe:

My biggest complaint about the anime is the lack of Yuuri's dramatic loss of composure. Other than that, I generally liked the differences they put into the anime. I especially liked how they gradually revealed the truth about Megu-nee. It still had an effect on me, even though I already knew it was coming.

Sakurazuka posted:

I assume the post credits bit featured a manga character that didn't up in this?

She's one of the girls they meet in the college. Not only that, it's probably a sign that there's going to be a 2nd season... after the manga's progressed enough.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
This sums up how I felt about the anime at the start. I had to seperate myself from the manga while watching, because I seriously considered dropping the anime after how they did the Miki and Kei episode.

In the manga, Kei was Miki's protector while Miki was naive and always following Kei. That's hugely important for understanding why Miki acts the way she does. Being forced to survive on her own (without Taromaru) hardened Miki a lot. She tries to do everything from helping Rii with bookeeping, hunt zombies with Kurumi, and babysit Yuki. Because in order to survive on your own you have to be able to do everything. But at the same time she's still that scared naive girl that's just looking to follow Kei.

And none of that made it into the anime. The anime is good, but yeah, it's a lot different in tone and character from the manga.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well I quite liked that. Was worried it would just kind of fizzle out but I think that was a good ending.

Might go dig up the manga to read at some point.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Haven't read the manga. I cried. A lot. AOTS. AOTY even.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Trihugger posted:

This sums up how I felt about the anime at the start. I had to seperate myself from the manga while watching, because I seriously considered dropping the anime after how they did the Miki and Kei episode.

In the manga, Kei was Miki's protector while Miki was naive and always following Kei. That's hugely important for understanding why Miki acts the way she does. Being forced to survive on her own (without Taromaru) hardened Miki a lot. She tries to do everything from helping Rii with bookeeping, hunt zombies with Kurumi, and babysit Yuki. Because in order to survive on your own you have to be able to do everything. But at the same time she's still that scared naive girl that's just looking to follow Kei.

And none of that made it into the anime. The anime is good, but yeah, it's a lot different in tone and character from the manga.

The story with Miki and Kei was a lot darker in the manga. Part of that was because they weren't the only ones in the shelter at first, but also Kei's decision to leave much bleaker and much more hopeless than it was in the anime. It wasn't just that she didn't have Taroumaru, it's that there was a bigger sense of abandonment in Kei's leaving.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
Man that scene with Taroumaru was rough. Although it would have been a cop out if the medicine did cure him when he was that far gone, I was willing to accept it for the sake of a happy ending but no they were just giving you false hope before taking it away. And the fact that they show Taroumaru moving so weakly and struggling to eat just killed me.

Speaking of which, did I miss some line about the other dog that Taroumaru went looking for? The girls come to the conclusion there is probably another dog somewhere in the basement but then they leave without even looking for it, did they just assume that it got zombified and didn't even try to find it?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They said they didn't see or hear one while they were down there so it must have run away, but yeah, that whole bit was weird, I thought it was leading to something but just got forgotten about.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

They said they didn't see or hear one while they were down there so it must have run away, but yeah, that whole bit was weird, I thought it was leading to something but just got forgotten about.

I thought that's what this was all about since Taroumaru is dead-dead:

When i watched it i assumed that was the otherwise unseen puppy paying his puppy respects to Taroumaru.

But now after seeing that screencap i'm not really sure since Yuki's hat is there. Did the other dog dig it up (the ground isn't disturbed)? Is Taroumaru back again from the dead (again, the ground is fine)? Did an artist forget that it was shown being buried and thought they just set it over the grave?

aag

Powerstone
May 30, 2010

What the fuck is this?
I cried like a bitch, loving assholes

Powerstone fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 26, 2015

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Between this anime and Ore Monogatari, my anime viewing for the past 12 weeks or so have been full of some top tier emotional whiplash. I'll miss this show.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I meant to watch this, but never got around to it. As someone who generally keeps up with what's translated of the manga, is it worth my while?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I meant to watch this, but never got around to it. As someone who generally keeps up with what's translated of the manga, is it worth my while?

There will almost certainly be changes you'll think are for the worse, but yes. Also watch the OP each time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I look forward to still getting the OP stuck in my head at random times for the next year or so.

• Locked thread