Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Moridin920 posted:

pretty sure white men thinking they need to save the noble savage is the basic colloquial usage of 'white man's burden' you fuckwit

OK, I guess you didn't read the book? Atticus defends Tom because he's innocent. He stands up to the other white men in the town because it's wrong to kill an innocent man. The other white men want to kill Tom because they are racist. It has nothing to do with a white guy trying to raise up an ignorant black person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

boom boom boom posted:

OK, I guess you didn't read the book? Atticus defends Tom because he's innocent. He stands up to the other white men in the town because it's wrong to kill an innocent man. The other white men want to kill Tom because they are racist. It has nothing to do with a white guy trying to raise up an ignorant black person.

pretty sure I did read the book and all I'm saying is I got a different impression from it. Instead of 'oh look at this dude upholding American ideals and treating all people as equal' it felt like 'oh look the negros can't take care of themselves and a moral white man has to be the savior.'

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Sun and water are healthy for you -- but not for your hair!
Fun Shoe

Huge Lady Pleaser posted:

Without having read Watchman yet I have a feeling this is closer to the point. Atticus probably prescribes to the White Mans burden.

I didn't like the ending of Watchman, I wondered whatever became of Dr. Manhatten

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President

goddamn i need to frame this and put it in my house

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Like the whole time he isn't saying Tom needs a fair trial because all humans are equal, he is saying Tom needs a fair trial because that's the law. It's almost a tacit admission of 'yes these are lesser people who can't fend for themselves and revert to animalistic tendencies but nonetheless the law says we must treat everyone equally and as an agent of the law that's what I will do.'

I never felt like he wanted to help an innocent man who was getting railroaded. He came off as a lawyer that was spergy about the rules more than anything else. When Scout asks him why he is doing it all he just starts talking about the laws and whatever, and never actually goes 'because it is morally wrong to treat people that way and ultimately they are no different from us.'

It makes perfect sense that aside from all that he's still racist as gently caress.

He doesn't say "white people taking advantage of blacks are trash because they are treating blacks like poo poo," he says "they are trash because they are taking advantage of the Negro's ignorance." Like, you're not trash for mistreating blacks, you're trash for taking advantage of someone that doesn't know any better or is incapable (like they are a child).

idk I realize I'm reaching a bit but I'm just saying the book was alright but I never got why my classmates and teachers got so worked up about it. Like yeah, don't treat people like poo poo because of superficial physical differences. Total paradigm shift.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 17, 2015

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Moridin920 posted:

pretty sure I did read the book and all I'm saying is I got a different impression from it. Instead of 'oh look at this dude upholding American ideals and treating all people as equal' it felt like 'oh look the negros can't take care of themselves and a moral white man has to be the savior.'

Yeah but you're wrong. The chifferobe lady and her family is depicted as being far trashier and worse than Tom, and they're the ones who cause the whole problem in the first place by being racist white trash. Then the town's people want to kill Tom, even though they know the chifferobe people are lying sacks of crap, just because they're white and Tom's black. The entire problem is that white people are racist, it has nothing to do with Tom "not being able to take care of himself" Atticus isn't better than Tom, he's better than the other white people

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

boom boom boom posted:

Yeah but you're wrong. The chifferobe lady and her family is depicted as being far trashier and worse than Tom, and they're the ones who cause the whole problem in the first place by being racist white trash. Then the town's people want to kill Tom, even though they know the chifferobe people are lying sacks of crap, just because they're white and Tom's black. The entire problem is that white people are racist, it has nothing to do with Tom "not being able to take care of himself" Atticus isn't better than Tom, he's better than the other white people

look all I'm saying is lines like this:

quote:

There's nothing more sickening to me than a low-grade white man who'll take advantage of a Negro's ignorance.

don't make me think of a white man that is disgusted with racism. They make me think of a white man disgusted by people taking advantage of 'those poor blacks.'

Finch isn't mad about racism, he's mad about what amounts to dishonorable people acting deceitfully. And it isn't about Tom personally being unable to take care of himself, it's about black people in general needing help from white people because obv they need it.

And ultimately he is unable to really remove himself from the lovely racism of those around him

quote:

But remember this, no matter how bitter things get, they're still our friends and this is still our home.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 17, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Again I'm not saying my interpretation is the correct one I just never really got why it was held up as this standard of morality and ethics when I was in hs.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

Dead Gay Romans posted:

but lol trying to call her out for only writing one book is like shiting on god for only making one universe. "scrub tier deity only made one universal reality"

this is actually hte worst analogy i think i've ever seen

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Also replacing 'friend of the family' with 'slave' in Huckleberry Finn has to be the most retard thing ever.

Like 'haha we aren't going to ban it because we tried that and it backfired so instead we'll remove the parts of the book that are the subversive wrongthink parts that make you question the social framework!'

half the point of that book is to make you uncomfortable with the word and think about the relationship between whites and blacks but oh well.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Just finished the book last night.

I enjoyed it. Quite a bit actually.

Whelp, see yah!

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

I don't really plan on reading it because the original was alright but I wasn't amazed by it and felt like its high standing mainly comes from it being one of the handful of books people are forced to read in highschool and it sounds a lot better to say your favourite book is To Kill a Mockingbird than my favourite book is harry potter because those are the only two books you have read in your life.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Moon Atari posted:

I don't really plan on reading it because the original was alright but I wasn't amazed by it and felt like its high standing mainly comes from it being one of the handful of books people are forced to read in highschool and it sounds a lot better to say your favourite book is To Kill a Mockingbird than my favourite book is harry potter because those are the only two books you have read in your life.

You read books? FAG!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

VendaGoat posted:

You read books? FAG!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwkdGr9JYmE

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

god bill hicks sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Moridin920 posted:

don't make me think of a white man that is disgusted with racism. They make me think of a white man disgusted by people taking advantage of 'those poor blacks.'

Finch isn't mad about racism, he's mad about what amounts to dishonorable people acting deceitfully. And it isn't about Tom personally being unable to take care of himself, it's about black people in general needing help from white people because obv they need it.
Part of the problem with this interpretation is that the only thing Tom was how racist white people would see his situation, and how downright evil the Ewells were. given the interactions with the black community shown that sort of pseudo honor killing was foreign to them. Which would very well be seen as infantilizing because Tom Robinson was essentially ignorant out of innocence, but outside of assuming white people had common human decency the black characters were all competent and generally intelligent.

• Locked thread