Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

Lou Willliams/D'Angelo Russell/Jordan Clarkson
Kobe Bryant/Jordan Clarkson/Jabari Brown
Nick Young/Anthony Brown
Brandon Bass/Julius Randle
Roy Hibbert/Robert Sacre/Tarik Black

It's not an ideal NBA roster, and they should be just developing Russell and Randle this year, but it's going to win more than 30 games.

Metapod posted:

The starting lineup could be very solid if turner's shot carry's over from summer league.

You expect a 19 year old Turner and George to form a passable defensive frontcourt? Like I said, the best plan is to shoot for the lottery this year. If George was ready to come back strong he wouldn't be skipping USA Basketball camps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

schmitty9800 posted:

Nick Young/Anthony Brown

It's not an ideal NBA roster, and they should be just developing Russell and Randle this year, but it's going to win more than 30 games.

Uhh, yeah wut? I am not seeing 30 wins out of that roster unless you have WAYYY more faith in Kobe Bryant than is at all reasonable.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
He could be skipping team USA practices because the last time he played free basketball for them somebody moved a stanchion a few feet forward and his leg snapped off and a pack of wild dogs rushed the court and one of the dogs took Paul George's leg in his mouth and the feral beasts rushed off into the Nevada desert and it took a team of trained hunters 4-5 months to track his leg down so he could have two legs again, maybe that's the problem ?

He played a few minutes at the end of last season he'll be fine. Breaks that don't mess up joints heal just fine.

Also at this point Russell is last in the PG rotation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=875XRk2GGEM
He looks like a worse pick than KING ZING. Clarkson is better.

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 14, 2015

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Someone needs to explain the Kings thing, because as much as I like DeMarcus I do not see it at all. That team was bad last year and none of their offseason moves were especially inspiring. WCS doesn't look even close to ready either.

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

I think I'm forgetting the fact that the Lakers are in the West while the Pacers are in the East also.

Lockback posted:

Uhh, yeah wut? I am not seeing 30 wins out of that roster unless you have WAYYY more faith in Kobe Bryant than is at all reasonable.

After reading some more about his injury (he's not shooting the ball yet) you could be right, but if he's reasonably healthy I don't think that's a 60 loss team.

EvanTH posted:

He could be skipping team USA practices because the last time he played free basketball for them somebody moved a stanchion a few feet forward and his leg snapped off and a pack of wild dogs rushed the court and one of the dogs took Paul George's leg in his mouth and the feral beasts rushed off into the Nevada desert and it took a team of trained hunters 4-5 months to track his leg down so he could have two legs again, maybe that's the problem ?

He played a few minutes at the end of last season he'll be fine. Breaks that don't mess up joints heal just fine.

He's going to play free basketball for them next year though.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
haha it's not for free there's GOLD on the line

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

schmitty9800 posted:

He's going to play free basketball for them next year though.

There's a gold medal involved in that though, which would probably be nice in his mind since if he stays with Indiana, he will never win an NBA championship.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

schmitty9800 posted:

Nick Young/Anthony Brown

You expect a 19 year old Turner and George to form a passable defensive frontcourt? Like I said, the best plan is to shoot for the lottery this year. If George was ready to come back strong he wouldn't be skipping USA Basketball camps.

It's a poo poo roster. And I was not bolding the Lakers because you said they might win 30 games (which I may agree is there absolute ceiling if literally everything goes right and Kobe is not completely poo poo) but the fact that you said they have a possibility of making the playoffs.

Like they have as close to a 0% chance as possible.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Lakers are the definition of a 21-23 win team

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
People really overestimate how much rookies can help. Rookies are almost always bad in their first year. Even LeBron and Durant, who when healthy are almost certainly the two best basketball players on earth, were horrible defensively and wildly inefficient on offense in their first seasons. Adjusting to the NBA is really tough. Russell and Randle are gonna be net negatives in all likelihood and the team beyond that is pretty ugly. I like Clarkson fine but he should not be your best player.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The funny thing thing with the Lakers is that they might win less games with Kobe being healthy and playing a lot. He has been very bad when he has played the past two years, and if he sticks around for 70ish games then it's going to be ugly. 35% shooting, 20 shots a game.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

I think it's very unlikely that one of the most creative offensive players in the game has a negative effect on the Lakers. He may take a lot of shots and be inefficient for stretches, but is it really better if someone else on this roster takes them instead?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Paul Zuvella posted:

The funny thing thing with the Lakers is that they might win less games with Kobe being healthy and playing a lot. He has been very bad when he has played the past two years, and if he sticks around for 70ish games then it's going to be ugly. 35% shooting, 20 shots a game.

Kobe stopped taking every shot once he passed mj in points

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Ungratek posted:

I think it's very unlikely that one of the most creative offensive players in the game has a negative effect on the Lakers. He may take a lot of shots and be inefficient for stretches, but is it really better if someone else on this roster takes them instead?

If they're more likely to go in when that guy shoots them yeah. Kobe was really bad last year. It doesn't take away from what he used to be, but he's played tons of minutes and has suffered a bunch of serious injuries. He's not a very good player anymore.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Metapod posted:

Kobe stopped taking every shot once he passed mj in points

He was facilitating for the the first stretch last year, and he did a good job.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Ungratek posted:

2014 offensive win shares: -.5
2015 offensive win shares: -.4

Obviously sample size is an issue but there really isn't anything to suggest that he wasn't a net negative.

Obviously, it's in the Lakers best interest to have Kobe take as many shots as possible because they want to keep their draft pick.

e: The Lakers were like infinitely better off having Nick Young take a shot than Kobe Jellybean Bryant. That's how bad it's gotten.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 20, 2015

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Dejan Bimble posted:

He was facilitating for the the first stretch last year, and he did a good job.

This. If he actually goes into pass-first Kobe mode or "Pass if good idea" Kobe mode, I think it's a gain to have him on the floor. He might be shooting like garbage, but a lot of that is taking bad shots. It's not like you can just... not guard him like some players in the league. Hopefully working with a real point guard will help.

Or, he might be even more broken than before, or have even less trust in his teammates than before. Watching a hobbled Kobe Bryant play is just the worst. You can tell the guy is just furious that his body won't listen, even though he puts in a maniacal amount of work. Getting old sucks.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Like Kobe's going to play more than a quarter of the season before his ribcage explodes or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Ungratek posted:

If you cloned Kobe's 35 game performance from last year and used that team of Kobe's WS/48 to play all 82 games they'd round down to 2 wins.

He was the worst player on that team that actually got minutes. The Lakers best hope is that Kobe being that bad was just chasing MJ and he'll be better this year. Which is probably the case, the first part of the year he was merely not good, versus one of the worst players in the league he ended the season playing like.

Bashez fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 21, 2015

• Locked thread