Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Revival forum is mostly dead now, good post came in this morning though.

quote:

Did Illfonic make it clear? No.

Have they made any communication to people who contributed funds to their company project. No.

In your notification announcement did you make it clear? No.

In your RevivalCast during which you felt it appropriate to display levity toward viewers who would reasonably be expecting answers to questions regarding your announcement, did you mention that the store was closed prior to the announcement? No.

I get it that you are deeply saddened that your project has not gone ahead. I understand that that you may have put your heart and soul into this dream of yours, but the fact remains. Illfonic have remained totally silent toward those who have given them cold hard cash. This is INEXCUSABLE. Khedrin's lack of response to his social media may have many reasons, frankly I don't give a drat. His refusal to speak on behalf of Illfonic is INEXCUSABLE. His refusal to post in these forums is INEXCUSABLE. This is cowardice of the worst kind in my view.

Can anyone imagine Chris Roberts, Erin Roberts or any member of the CIG team coming on air and laughing and joking during a live stream to explain why the project was cancelled? Can you imagine Chris Roberts letting someone else make the announcement and not communicating via the RSI website?

Both you, Ombwah, Khedrin and Illfonic have done yourselves a great disservice. You have shown a disrespect for those who supported you. You have damaged the trust that goes with asking for funding from private individuals. Keep the money. Good luck with your plans. I will never trust you, or any member of your team, especially Illfonic. It appears to me this will be no great loss to you, since you seem to value the trust and esteem of your community as worthless. You seem to value your personal integrity and honour as worthless. Why should we view it any differently?

To those who believe we should just walk away and 'shut up', tell me have you never heard of natural justice? You call a liar a liar, you call a cheat a cheat, you call a coward a coward. You say it loud for all to hear so that the person may know shame. In the case of the shameless, you let everyone else know what to expect from dealings with them. They don't get to walk away unscathed, they don't get to do it again at a later date.

lol

e: By the way, as far as I know there has still been no official communication with their paying customers. All the customers who don't regularly read the forums or follow industry news may still have no idea their 'investment' has gone down the tubes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Decrepus posted:

You backed Star Citizen.

Well yeah. I'm a huge fan of the wing commander series, especially privateer.

Lots of people backed the original 2012 kickstarter. It would be more damning to say I didn't get a refund when it all went to poo poo. I'm choosing to let my 30.00 ride, in the hope that whatever squalling, fetid thing emerges from Chris Robert's game hole in the end, it's worth 30 dollars.

I backed Doob too. :downs:

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Gawain The Blind posted:

Well yeah. I'm a huge fan of the wing commander series, especially privateer.

Lots of people backed the original 2012 kickstarter. It would be more damning to say I didn't get a refund when it all went to poo poo. I'm choosing to let my 30.00 ride, in the hope that whatever squalling, fetid thing emerges from Chris Robert's game hole in the end, it's worth 30 dollars.

I backed Doob too. :downs:

get your money out and give it to a bum

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

9foxtails posted:

I was rooting for these guys. However, this only strengthens my suspicions about kickstarter.

I've had nothing but good experience with Kickstarter/crowdfunding because I require a decent prototype or a decent portfolio showing that they can actually put something out along with the ability to communicate.

Insurgency
Divinity Original Sin 1
Divinity Original Sin 2
Wasteland 2
Bard's Tale IV
Chivalry
Banner Saga
Toejam and Earl
Blade Symphony
Shards Online
The Repopulation
Pillars of Eternity
Squad
Contagion
Distance
Torment
Shadowrun Returns
Tabletop Simulator
Kingdom Come: Deliverance
Shroud of the Avatar
Star Citizen

I'd much rather have a world with Kickstarter in it than one without. I know what these corporate suits do to projects if they have their money at stake. I also remember what it used to be like before Greenlight was a thing, good games would get denied. Sure, I have to sift through the poo poo to find a good small budget indie games, but I had to do that with AAA titles already and the reviews along with YouTube coverage generally sort those out.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
I would add Elite Dangerous to that list and that wouldn't have happened without kickstarter and then I wouldn't have bought a HOTAS and went full space-sperg. So clearly kickstarter provides a net benefit overall while producing the occasional turd/scam.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Elite dangerous loving sucks though, its just a moneygrab. I should know i played a good deal of it.

First off it cost 40€ on release and they wouldnt let you visit the Sol system (where earth is) unless you paid 60 for the collectors edition, or farmed your rear end off for an ingame "permit" which is completely RNG.

Then they released a DLC featuring "landing and exploration on planets with no atmosphere" and they put a 40€ price tag on that too.

So in order to play this game properly you gotta sink 80€ into it, 100 if you wanna visit earth right off.

I could go on and on about exactly why its a 10€ game with a price tag of 100, but got better things to do.

I'd add Path of Exile to the list of successful kickstarters, its a tedious and spergy game, but its very successful at what it does, and fun, if you're into it.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

the most disappointing thing was the willingness of goons to go on elite and make cool things, the goon usergroup had/has like 250+ members. of course there was/is nothing to do ingame. most functions like reputation, influence of npc factions in systems, wars etc, are broken and do not work.

i just hope no mans sky will not be as much of a disappointment

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Nurel posted:

the most disappointing thing was the willingness of goons to go on elite and make cool things, the goon usergroup had/has like 250+ members. of course there was/is nothing to do ingame. most functions like reputation, influence of npc factions in systems, wars etc, are broken and do not work.

is that true anymore? i thought the diamond frogs guys did that stuff

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

You can't visit Sol system (where earth is) in EVE Online and that game has been out for ages. Makes you think...

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

hakimashou posted:

is that true anymore? i thought the diamond frogs guys did that stuff

Its just that in this game theres nothing to do as a group -its just playing solo until bored. Which would be cool for 20bux worth, just not for what they ask.

IDK if they magically fixed everything over the last months but I highly doubt it. All updates they released to the point I quit were broken to boot or 100% surface and 0 depth. e: Dont make me go over everything in length :P

Mr. Pickles fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Apr 6, 2016

Kowboat
Mar 3, 2006

Grenouilles Sans Frontieres

Nurel posted:

Its just that in this game theres nothing to do as a group -its just playing solo until bored. Which would be cool for 20bux worth, just not for what they ask.

IDK if they magically fixed everything over the last months but I highly doubt it. All updates they released to the point I quit were broken to boot or 100% surface and 0 depth. e: Dont make me go over everything in length :P

Buggy updates and broken features drove me out as well. AFAIK the other Diamond Frogs are still going, but there's really nothing for players to do together except feud ineffectually with other player groups. There's some minor empire-building with player supported NPC factions, but even when it works it's just more grinding.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Kowboat posted:

Buggy updates and broken features drove me out as well. AFAIK the other Diamond Frogs are still going, but there's really nothing for players to do together except feud ineffectually with other player groups. There's some minor empire-building with player supported NPC factions, but even when it works it's just more grinding.

Yeah, we humilated a group and got them publicly stripped of their "triple elite" status with FDEV by overthrowing their system without them noticing it. They were dying anyway but it still counts because we began their spiral to destruction last year when their leader of the time was mean to Glyphgyrph about TeamSpeak vs IRC.

Not only are we one of the most powerful groups in the game, we owe a great deal of it to your research. Most of it was vindicated and turned out less buggy than you thought. We're on our seventh expansion within five months, not bad for lost time.

We caused the main station of newbie system in the game, Eravate, to completely shut down after smuggling in hundreds of unknown artifacts , again publicly humilating another group.

I made a community manager visually flinch on camera when I casually told him we were going to hunt him for sport. Then just told him I was kidding, and got him to smuggle one of those artifacts into Eravate with us. Because it was on stream we had close to a hundred angry pubbies chasing all of us around.

We annoy people by jerking them out of supercruise and saying "meep meep" then flying away... then jerking them out of supercruise again.

In other words we get our kicks from breaking the game and breaking other people, and we are really getting quite effective at it. I respect your reasons for quitting but saying there is nothing to do just ain't fair.

Sorry, cross posting from the star citizen thread.

This is the game illfonic was working on, right? I'll rebook mark and catch up on this thread!

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Nurel posted:

Btw what was your pilot name? Did you fly with the Diamond Frogs at all? Go over everything in length :jiggled: or just PM me, be happy to give you something to do

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Literally Kermit posted:

This is the game illfonic was working on, right? I'll rebook mark and catch up on this thread!

operative word being "was" so you can take your time

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

The annoying thing about elite dangerous was how they promised to add all those things to the game in free patches to make their own star citizen universe game that slowly turned into dlc expansions over time.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

hey kermit

Pilot name was Z3R03D, i did fly with goons on our expeditions to boost jotunheim resistance (which went ok and spent many hours doing it, until suddenly it all collapsed on us for no reason). I then exploited that silly traderoute they put up for a "limited time" (40 rares back and forth) until I got my FDL, but when they released the powers update I quit for good. It was cool we had the anime princess thing going but boosting her would require many hours of my time doing boring things and I'was just not up for it

Then I saw the planetary landings update and rushed to download it, but loled at the pricetag. I'm looking at it now on the web site and it seems by Fall2016 they will have added some pretty cool things to the DLC. Owell

That was a cool post tho - I'm glad you guys are having fun with pubbies

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I was already on the fence about getting Elite: Dangerous but goon shenanigans have convinced me :toot: I'll grab it next time it goes on sale. Don't suppose you could find something for a deaf goon to do in Diamond Frogs?

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Nurel posted:

hey kermit

Pilot name was Z3R03D, i did fly with goons on our expeditions to boost jotunheim resistance (which went ok and spent many hours doing it, until suddenly it all collapsed on us for no reason). I then exploited that silly traderoute they put up for a "limited time" (40 rares back and forth) until I got my FDL, but when they released the powers update I quit for good. It was cool we had the anime princess thing going but boosting her would require many hours of my time doing boring things and I'was just not up for it

Then I saw the planetary landings update and rushed to download it, but loled at the pricetag. I'm looking at it now on the web site and it seems by Fall2016 they will have added some pretty cool things to the DLC. Owell

That was a cool post tho - I'm glad you guys are having fun with pubbies

Yeah, powerplay burnt out a LOT of goons, and is the main reason we gave up on Jotunheim and the RJR. So many people quit enmass combined with other stupid reasons, which led to a displaced neighboring system faction taking over. The RJR has stabilized and we will probably take back Jotunheim when the time is right. The Diamond Frogs have their own mini empire to grow atm

We almost quit entirely as a group but we had a chance to submit as a custom faction. We took a parody name in honor of the Phantom Pain , just as a joke, and surprising us all, it was accepted (Kowboat in fact submitted it and pretty much saved goons as a force in this game!). The whole reason I am figurehead of the outfit is because "Frogs" and reasons that should be obvious. We ran with the theme.

The Horizons price tag and model as a whole is less of a money grab and more FDEV not understanding what they are doing since they made their intensely single player franchise a mandatory MMO (any white knighting I do on their behalf still gets a lot of eye rolling and obscene gestures along with it). There is one strength in the model, and that you and anyone else on the fence can wait and see a few months and see if the expansion is worth it. Multicrew, small fighter ship hangers, player avatars and npc mission givers are all supposed to come out with that price tag, but parts of it will trickle down to the "main game" anyway (such as getting synthesis materials, usually only mined by the SRV on planets and used to reload and boost weapons, AFM "ammo" and up to doubling your ships jump range a single time, as quest rewards in the future). It's cheaper than a WoW subscription, and if you wait until next year you probably can pick it up cheap with the next expansion, whatever the hell that may be.

Anyway, there's been some advances in exploit technology since you been gone, and most of them are not all that out of character for a group that is part revenge driven mercenary, part 3rd Street Saints, and part Muppet Show Tonight. My favorite one is buying from slaver and selling those slaves back to other slavers all on the same station.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I was already on the fence about getting Elite: Dangerous but goon shenanigans have convinced me :toot: I'll grab it next time it goes on sale. Don't suppose you could find something for a deaf goon to do in Diamond Frogs?

We got poo poo to do for bounty hunters, traders, explorers, all of which we coordinate to make the Background Sim do what we want with currently an 85% success rate. The guy that took up Kowboat's job took and expanded on Kowboat research and is now the number 1 expert on pretend space politics.

What I am saying is yes, come back, we will give you fun stuff to do. 90% of the complaints I hear about this game go away when you are flying around with a purpose, not just sandboxing. Like I said, we managed to weaponize exploration in this game.

What I am saying is come back/join you idiots, and :getin: and go Check out our thread in the PGS board.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

And now back to our regularly scheduled squid/poop/failure simulator. It has now been *two weeks* since the game was canceled. What has happened in the mean time?
  • The promised steam key compensation has not appeared . . . or been mentioned at all since the day of the announcement. Which makes sense, honestly. Giving out steam keys for your other games to embittered customers was a terrible idea, right? Spite reviews are a thing, and they look all the more legit if it says you played the game for 5 hours before leaving the bad review.

• There has still been no official word or press release or anything from the Illfonic guys. Nothing. Apparently the lead devs belong to their own little company Skyward* and were never employees of Illfonic, just contractors. So the only word that the project is canceled has been a forum post from a sub-contractor who doesn't work there anymore.

• Customers have not yet received an email or any other direct contact from Illfonic. If you don't read the forums regularly you'll have no idea your money has gone up in smoke.

• Some people have requested refunds and gotten a stock "refunds are being considered on a case by case basis" and then heard nothing more. Some have gone directly to disputing the charge through their payment processor, but that process takes months.

• With no official input the forums have nearly died off. It's just bitter customers arguing with hopeful customers at this point.

The Illfonic radio silence is just getting weird though. If you look at any of their outward facing media, there is absolutely no indication that the game has been canceled. Everything just says the game is in development. I can see the guys not updating their personal linkedin or whatever right away, but some of these things should have been updated by now. It's been two weeks.

http://www.illfonic.com/#!revival/i3pgl
https://twitter.com/illfonic
https://www.facebook.com/revivalgame/
https://twitter.com/kedhrin This one has a bit of a story to it. Kedhrin was the head of the project, the day the project was canceled he set his personal twitter private. Didn't bother to take Revival off his sidebar bio yet though. I'm starting to wonder if the guy has crippling anxiety disorder is and is just paralyzed at his desk having panic attacks all day instead of tending to business, but I might be projecting.

So, yeah, two weeks and literally nothing has happened. It's like everyone in the Illfonic office committed seppuku on the day of the cancelation, and their bodies just haven't been found yet.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
this is actual star citizen's fault, because star citizen is so poorly run its own spagetthi poo poo tier code couldnt be integrated with illfonic's work so they threw illfonic under the bus because they are sleazy classless shysters

now, flip side, revival was always the star citizen scam but run with medieval instead of space, so i dunno whether they had it coming or not.

On the whole I do like illfonic for thier gumption, they learned the masted and then went and did likewise.

Final takeaway: what you saw happen to Revival is the what is going to happen to Star Citizen. Past is prologue.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Angela Christine posted:

So, yeah, two weeks and literally nothing has happened. It's like everyone in the Illfonic office committed seppuku on the day of the cancelation, and their bodies just haven't been found yet.

This game reminds me of when i was 14 playing NWN on the line. There were these snuff/S&M cybering servers running, so I was rolling female halfling characters in order to login as a human child and flame the living poo poo out of them in their turf.

Thats your game right there. Sex for buffs? You wouldnt believe the playerbase such a game would attract. Pedos and trolls as far as the eye could see. You'd feel like alice in wonderland or something

I'm actually thankful they wont release this PoS

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

In case anyone is wondering it has now been no two months with no change, I still check in on it now and then. There is still no official contact from the company to the customers who bought imaginary houses except a post on their internal forums. Conceivably there are people who bought a house last year and haven't checked the forums lately who still don't know they've been swindled. A handful of people claim to have received a refund, many more have gotten a generic "refunds are being considered on a case by case basis" non-answer and are still waiting.

The promised compensation of a couple illfonic steam keys hasn't materialized either. That's a real tragedy. The zombie MOBA game was $20 when they proposed giving away keys as compensation, now it is down to $10.99. It doesn't matter though, because NOBODY is playing it.

The reviews are actually pretty good, possibly because the only people who have tried the game are their moms.

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

Good night sweet prince you piece of poo poo, and good riddance.
Haven't heard any news about the cancellation, which makes me wonder: who else was giving this thing exposure, besides those halfwits at massively op?

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm surprised they have time in between all the "Hey look wrongos, Star Citizen exists :smuggo:" posts they make daily.

No-one else gave a poo poo, no.

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

Orv posted:

I'm surprised they have time in between all the "Hey look wrongos, Star Citizen exists :smuggo:" posts they make daily.

No-one else gave a poo poo, no.

I find this to be way more funny than I probably should.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Nurel posted:

Thats your game right there. Sex for buffs? You wouldnt believe the playerbase such a game would attract. Pedos and trolls as far as the eye could see. You'd feel like alice in wonderland or something

I wanted this game to go gold solely to draw all the scum of the earth out for a rousing round of schadenfreude

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Nurel posted:

I have some bad news for you...

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

I have some bad news for you...

I was wondering where this thread went.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Oh, hey, this thread hasn't fallen into the archives yet. Well, on a lark I checked the forums again and while Illfonic is staying silent, the two lead devs are still trying to make Revival happen in some form, somehow.

http://www.theleston.com/

Why is this website so slow and terrible? :iiam: Anyway, they are hoping to use the lore from the failed MMO to make a P&P RPG. Maybe a trading card game. Fiction. Apps. A single player game. And finally back to an MMO.

http://www.theleston.com/9-2/development-roadmap/#1461089617842-5d0cca32-ba6b

quote:

Phase 1 represents the first, easiest, steps we can take to move Theleston forward towards our ultimate goal. Here we take the systems and dynamics pioneered in the MEOW and apply them to the more abstract realm of pen and paper roleplay. Likely the shortest of our phases, this phase also represents a potential long-term sustaining expression of Theleston, with updates, new source books and other products possible if the game warrants it.

From selling sourcebooks they expect to make a profit that will fund the next thing. Because if there's one thing the world is clamoring for, it's a Lovecraft themed pen and paper roleplaying game. Well, another one, since Call of Cthulhu already exists.

How are they going to fund that? Patreon! Currently pulling in $400 a month, so I'm sure all dreams will come true any day now. https://www.patreon.com/Skywardstar

If anyone has been silly enough to give Illfonic money for this mess, it looks like people who complained to the denver BBB have been getting refunds within a few weeks. Huh. I thought the BBB was completely useless.

http://www.bbb.org/denver/business-reviews/video-games-wholesale-and-manufacturers/illfonic-llc-in-denver-co-90145151/complaints/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Rockin Orthodontist posted:

Well, another one, since Call of Cthulhu already exists.

Exists and reigns supreme.

Btw I'm glad that nomansky fell on its rear end and Elite is proven better. Elite is good and cool. I don't play it, but it is.

Mr. Pickles fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Oct 7, 2016

• Locked thread