Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Are ya ready kids?!"

Aye aye, you psycho!

I can't hear you!

AYE AYE, YA PSYCHO!

OOOOOOOOHHHH , who lives in a nice place outside the city!?

That Crazy Moon Knight!

Unstable, clad in white and not Batman is he!

That Crazy Moon Knight!

If schizo behavior is something you wish!

That Crazy Moon Knight!

[b] Then go to the shop and drop six bux an ish'

That Crazy Moon Knight!
That Crazy Moon Knight!

That Crazy Moon KnigGGGggggggggggggggggggggght!

This thread is for talking about how good the current two runs of Moon Knight have been and how incredibly inconsistent the character has been over the last 30 years, going from Werewolf Assassin to Ersatz Batman, to Nutty Avenger to Full Blown Face Mutilating Psychopath to the best version of Batman on the market today, it's been a bumpy ride for ol Marc Spector.

Born to a Rabbi who survived the holocaust he would get mad at his dad for not beating up Hitler and became a boxer, then a Marine, then a Mercenary, then a Super-Hero after he got killed by a statue in Egypt that started talking to him. Every writer who seems to get him has to retcon the origin the previous writer gave him, or atleast retool it to add more multiple personality bullshit, which can be fun because some of them treat it as a What If comic that's occurring in 616 continuity.

Warren Ellis essentially "unfucked the character in the newest run, and the team of Wood and Smallwood (God I hope the artist is literally the writer's mini-me) seem to be handling the hand off pretty well, so if you're gonna jump on board, Volume 5 (The start of Eliis's's's run) is a pretty great starting point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
I've been on a bizarre quest of late while I was organizing all my books.

I realized I have almost every appearance of MK, so I'm now actively hunting down the last handful of issues (anyone have a copy of Quasar #27 they want to sell?).

Because of this I've re-read all the drat issues - from the 1st appearance to the Fist of Knoshu's to leading the Hulk through the Holland Tunnel in the Defenders to the horrible Marc Spector: Moon Knight's (loving Stephen Platt).

I'm beginning to think I'm as insane as Lockely/Spector/Grant.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
When I was gettng back into comics as a teen I bought three trades to start myself off, Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth, Captain Britain by Moore and Davis and Moon Knight: The Bottom by Charlie Huston and David Finch.

Looking at that cover now it's kinda bad how Finch's name isn't on the cover but at the time that didn't occur to me. I hadn't read any of Huston's novel at the time so his name wasn't the draw I imagine that cover was designed for, I just liked how Moon Knight looked and knew nothing about the character. Moon Knight: The Bottom is gritty and violent and teenage me didn't know there were comics like that, I don't like Finch's art now but I remember at the time thinking it was great and very realistic. It's been a long time since I've actually re-read it but the comic and Moon Knight in general will always hold a special place in my heart and I've always read any Moon Knight series that has followed it, he's the only character I'll by the comic of no matter who the creative time working on it is. I also went on to read pretty much every comic and novel that Charlie Huston wrote and he became a firm favourite author of mine, I can't say I've followed David Finch's career in the same way but I'll always be grateful for him for drawing the Moon Knight that teenage me wanted to see.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm the only person on the planet who really loved Vengeance of the Moon Knight, and I think it was basically because as much as he's touted as "Marvel's Batman", I don't think there's ever been a run before or since that actually just straight up runs with that as a concept, and VotMK is exactly that. Spector trying to pretty much go full swashbuckling Batman. Down to tense confrontations with NotSuperman and throwing sharp frisbees at guys skulking around shipping containers.. and NOT killing them after.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Praise Konshu.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Gaz-L posted:

I'm the only person on the planet who really loved Vengeance of the Moon Knight, and I think it was basically because as much as he's touted as "Marvel's Batman", I don't think there's ever been a run before or since that actually just straight up runs with that as a concept, and VotMK is exactly that. Spector trying to pretty much go full swashbuckling Batman. Down to tense confrontations with NotSuperman and throwing sharp frisbees at guys skulking around shipping containers.. and NOT killing them after.

Isn't one of the villains Moon Knight fights over a couple of issues Marvel's Scarecrow as well?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Starsnostars posted:

Isn't one of the villains Moon Knight fights over a couple of issues Marvel's Scarecrow as well?

Yeah. It was a decent series that honestly felt like it was working against itself the entire time, because it kept wildly swinging from making him sympathetic to showing him as unhinged so often that it just got grueling to read at times.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Ellis used Moon Knight to recreate The Raid in comic book form, so MK gets a pass as amazing for the rest of time.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gaz-L posted:

I liked it, it just ended in a really bad rushed way.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012
Having not read any Moon Knight other than the current series (Vol. 5), what are some recommended Moon Knight books?

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

CowboyAndy posted:

Having not read any Moon Knight other than the current series (Vol. 5), what are some recommended Moon Knight books?

The first series is great, if dated. Doug Moench writing and Bill Sienkiewicz art (that only gets better throughout).

Avoid Marc Spector: Moon Knight - it's pure 90's.

Vengeance of is real good.

Also, a 4 issue series (also by Moench but I can't remember who did the art but it's great) is Resurrection War.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CowboyAndy posted:

The first run with Moench and Sienkiewicz is required. You can usually find the B&W essentials version for a reasonable price.

Next best is the Huston/Benson run.

The the current Ellis-started run.

Vegence is ok, imo, but not as good as those three. Bendis's run is about as good, although his take on the character is pretty different.

Most of the others are pretty iffy.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Apparently he's coming to Netflix in 2017...

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/LordOfInsanity/news/?a=118017

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Sweet. Hope it's good.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hell yeah. I hope they tap Charlie Huston for some of the scripts.

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have
Please I hope this show will be weird and cool

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

That's an April Fool's, friend.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Way to not even look at the date of the article.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

lol we're all big stupids

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

X-O posted:

Yeah, I just re-looked at it.

Dammit.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
its actually been a dream comic writing job for me to write Moon Knight and just go wholesale Ersatz Batman with him. Give him a saner edge, make him a competent an effective crimefighter, give him a new adolescent sidekick. Whole concept would be "What if Moon Knight got his poo poo together and became THE preeminent street hero in the marvel u (BUT COULD SNAP AT ANY SECOND!!!)?"

Alternatively Im fine with the Ellis "Weird poo poo Investigator" take

*Edit* saw Gaz L's post and now I guess ill go read Vengeance of the Moon Knight

Knives Amilli fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Oct 1, 2015

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The Ellis "Mulder and Scully wrapped into one" take on him is great. So for stories, he can either stay pure street-level crime, or if they want something different, he can go into the mystical stuff.

Imagine how good a Dr Strange/Moon Knight crossover would be.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

That's an April Fool's, friend.

X-O posted:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/comic-reel-rumor-posits-netflix-may-be-eyeing-moon-knight-new-insight-on-merlyn-in-arrow-season-4

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I came in prepared to disagree sharply because I thought Vengeance of the Moon Knight was the 2006 series. Any opinion on that? I tried to follow that series, I guess, because I liked the character and I figured out that it was basically a parody of Spawn. The problem being that when you parody something :rolleyes: and annoying you usually also end up being annoying.

Rather than having an adolescent sidekick, I like that Spector has had a circle of allies with different skills. It gave him a pulpy, Shadow/Doc Savage vibe. Ra's al Ghul was introduced to give Batman a more international scope, and I think Moon Knight is a character that can roll with that.

As far as the whole crazy thing...the way I see it, an ancient god stuffed its essence into his brain. Like all ancient gods it doesn't conform to our standards of morality and it contradicts itself, what with being benevolent but also vengeful. A human mind can't hold it all in, which is why Spector creates multiple alter egos (which the Shadow also did) or personifies different aspects of the god as Captain America and Spider-Man or whatever.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

I came in prepared to disagree sharply because I thought Vengeance of the Moon Knight was the 2006 series. Any opinion on that? I tried to follow that series, I guess, because I liked the character and I figured out that it was basically a parody of Spawn. The problem being that when you parody something :rolleyes: and annoying you usually also end up being annoying.

Rather than having an adolescent sidekick, I like that Spector has had a circle of allies with different skills. It gave him a pulpy, Shadow/Doc Savage vibe. Ra's al Ghul was introduced to give Batman a more international scope, and I think Moon Knight is a character that can roll with that.

As far as the whole crazy thing...the way I see it, an ancient god stuffed its essence into his brain. Like all ancient gods it doesn't conform to our standards of morality and it contradicts itself, what with being benevolent but also vengeful. A human mind can't hold it all in, which is why Spector creates multiple alter egos (which the Shadow also did) or personifies different aspects of the god as Captain America and Spider-Man or whatever.

Isn't that the Huston/Benson run? That's my favourite after the original, with Ellis coming in next.

I like Huston/Benson because it's a legitimate attempt to grow the character, whereas although the Ellis story is awesome, it doesn't do much with the character itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
The last few runs have, to each's credit, done a remarkable and different job with regards to Konshu and how it relates/warps/interacts with MK. (appearing as Bushman, etc).

The last (Ellis) run saw less of the multiple personalities, sure, but kept Konshu as this secondary character leading/guiding/manipulating which still speaks to MK's nuttiness. What I liked most about the Ellis run was how each issue was stand-alone, much like the (almost all) of the original series. Virtually the exact opposite of MS:MK.

• Locked thread