Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
Bad Ideas, Chapter 2

Awww, yis. Ronin time!

Here's Full Video - if it were me, I'd watch this one

But the full video is almost a dang hour, so here it is split up, if you prefer that!

There's a typo in your title, idiot

You'd think so, you smug goon, wouldn't you. It started OUT as a typo, but then I thought about how it reflected the puzzle-gamey nature of the more difficult rooms, and kept it in. So you're only HALF right!

Bacter, speak only words of truth to us. What is Ronin?

This actually pretty awesome but also bizarre mix of stealth and action games. It's billed as being very similar to Gunpoint, another pretty fun game, and it's stylistically very similar, but there are differences. Oh, there are differences.

Fine. What are the differences, Bacter?

The main one is what lends this game it's... unique flavor. It's a flavor that hasn't always been digested well by reviewers, but it's a tasty flavor nonetheless.

Shut up with the food metaphors. What's the difference?

You're not helpless in a fight! There are two modes to the game

1) When you're undetected, is this free-roaming, free-moving jump/hide/stabfest. It's the most like Gunpoint. You have powers, you get around, you stay out of sight.

2) When you ARE detected, you enter a turn-based mode. You can't run or slide, just jump, and you can only move a certain amount or use a power per turn. You always go first, and enemies fire at the end of your turn.

So why stealth at all? Why not just crash in everywhere?

You're one lady with a sword, and your enemies have many, MANY bullets.

Oh.

Yeah. See, lots of reviewers said "the combat doesn't work as well as the stealth" in this game, and I think that's because they tried to take on situations they hadn't managed. You need to find a good angle, plan out your attacks. Stealth is more action-based, and straight-up attacking is almost a puzzle. It takes some getting used to - lord knows I beat my head against a wall enough times!

And when you DO get it?

The game really opens up. It was always fun to play, but when you "get it" you'll stop worrying about difficult situations and want to take on the messiest ones you can find, because going insane, leaping all over the place, and using your powers to take down absurd numbers of panicked, firing enemies, is really, really fun.

So what's the plan for the LP?

Well, this main run is most of it, to be honest. I've got a few exotic challenge runs up my sleeves, that I'll post highlight reels from, and I'm up for suggestions! But mostly I want to show off what mid-level play looks like, and I could think of no better way to do that than a speedy run. Enjoy!

Bacter fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jul 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Let's Reserve!

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Hell yeah, I've been really liking this game. Wish there were more depth to it though. Also unrelated, the Devolver Digital guys tweeted one of my video I recorded on the "hard" difficulty setting and that was cool of them, really didn't expect that.

Bacter posted:

lots of reviewers said "the combat doesn't work as well as the stealth" in this game

Oh boy video game journalists not having a clue about what they're talking about. It only took me a couple hours to understand how the mechanics worked and how you were supposed to think in this game then it was smooth sailing from there. I admit it really sucks when you start with zero upgrades, you become overpowered really fast once you do get more skills, but still. Anyway, looking forward to this.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
At first blush this game reminds me a lot of Gunpoint.

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010
Thia is a really interesting game, though I don't think it's my kind of game to play.

On a quick note Bacter, you questioned why no one can see you in the elevator. It's because you're hiding on the roof of the inside of the car. Again with the comment of "no one looks up". Just thing I figured I'd point out as you seemed to never quite get it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

dscruffy1 posted:

At first blush this game reminds me a lot of Gunpoint.
Isn't it by the same guy? Anyway, I held off on buying this due to very negative reactions in the Steam thread but it seems pretty good when shown like this...

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

The sad thing is, I KIND OF understand the negativity.

The game IS a lot like Gunpoint, to the point that you start the game trying to play it that way. But that doesn't work - too many guards, not enough Ronin. So you go, ok, it's an action game HI-YA! And you get gunned to oblivion. It's just this interesting mashup. You can't stealth kill everybody, but you have to do as much as you can.

I'd really like to think more about why the mechanics are so hard to click, because like I said, once you get them the game is great, and before you get them it just looks impenetrable.

Edit: Incidentally, I don't see a speedrun of NG+ anywhere, so I guess I'm the WORLD RECORD HOLDER!

Edit edit: Also, I WOULD recommend picking this up. Keep in mind that NG+ is quite a bit harder than regular New Game, so if some of what I'm doing looks fancy, that's because I had a whole game to hone the tricks.

It's 13 buxx on Steam

Bacter fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 17, 2015

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

anilEhilated posted:

Isn't it by the same guy?

Nope. A lot of people raised a fuss over how much this looked like Gunpoint back when it first showed up, but at some point the Gunpoint guy did give it his official blessing.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

So now that we've gone through things In A Hurry, let's take a slower pace, settle down into the shadows, and work out how to do things.

I'll be showing alternative approaches to levels in the later sections, but for these first bits, one way really is as good as the next.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Oblivion4568238 posted:

Nope. A lot of people raised a fuss over how much this looked like Gunpoint back when it first showed up, but at some point the Gunpoint guy did give it his official blessing.

He stated that any similarities to Gunpoint are completely superficial and it's an entirely different game.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
I would welcome more games using Gunpoints jumping mechanics. They're so much fun and could probably be used in all manner of great ways with a bit of thought. Ronin uses them in a really fun (if at times a bit fiddly) style.
I'd really love to have seen a feature, kind of like Super Meat Boy, where you see a completed level run at the end so you can see how your turn based phases played out in real time.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
The guys in suits are actually two different enemy types. They vary based on how they're dressed: if their jacket is open and they're wearing a monocle, they always try to shoot you if they can see you, and if they have their jacket done up and they're wearing a full visor, they always ignore you and try to raise the alarm, unless the alarm is already up.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jul 19, 2015

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

That's good to remember for dinner parties, too.

also that is so good to know, thanks!

Though I will say this is one downfall of the light-to-no-tutorial style: you can end up missing a lot!

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
In this particular case, I think the game definitely outsmarts itself. It does unavoidably introduce that behaviour to you the first time the radio guys show up, and it does it very elegantly. But unfortunately it's so elegant that it's very easy to not notice at all.

If you look closely, they even have little headset mics, but they're still not quite different enough to make them obviously stand out from the other suit guys.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Newww chapter! This one is a lot more interesting than chapter 1, on account of the bigger, more complex levels having multiple solutions!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This looks really, really cool.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Yeah, I picked this up on a whim a little while after it came out and I have to say it's one of my favorite games of the year. Out of combat you're right, the game is a lot like Gunpoint but when it starts it really comes into it's own. The way the combat flows makes it into a great puzzle game and when you finally figure out how to take down a room with a dozen men in it, you feel a little bit like Bride (probably intentional giving she's wearing a bike suit herself) There was one level I couldn't figure out how to do perfectly and I'm eager to see you get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

It really is very fun. One thing I especially like is how there are very good, intuitive checkpoints. It makes trial and error not especially painful. Not only do you get a quicksave after you beat a tough room, you usually get a quicksave before you enter a huge room, so if you die you snap right back. There's also no penalty for deaths and retries. It's just very well done.

• Locked thread