Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Hillbilly incest is scary as gently caress but I still feel like the show never topped itself when it comes the to Tooms episodes. Those are just perfect X-files episodes.

Home is wildly overrated just because "omg it's too creepy to ever be aired!" It's not that great an episode.

Squeeze/Tooms are great, someone mentioned Ice, and I agree that these are what set the stage for the whole tone of the show. The funny ones like Jose Chung and Bad Blood are incredible, but they heavily rely on contrast against the grimness of the rest of the series. Like, Bad Blood is my favorite episode but I would never tell a first-time viewer to start with that one. Clyde Bruckman is maybe an example of the perfect sweet spot of both serious enough to stand on its own and funny in its own right though.

My pick for the best all-around episode, perfect for a new viewer, is the MOTW Leonard Betts. Especially if you like Tooms (of which it's very reminiscent), give this one a rewatch, it's got solid scares and creep-out and gross-out scenes, body horror, the works. Fox wisely picked this one to air immediately after the Super Bowl in 1997, and despite being a MOTW it even starts Scully's big arc. Ralp's Overall Best Pick.

Over a few months I recently rewatched almost the whole series with a friend, and what surprised me the most is how interesting and compelling the mytharc poo poo was in Season 1, and how much was revealed so early. Chris Carter had no idea if the show would be renewed, so no reason to hold back any ideas in the finale! But every season after that the finale/premiere shoved itself progressively deeper up its own rear end in a top hat. I think Chris Carter just felt more and more pressure to try to outdo what he did last year and it just got ridiculous. Like in the season 2 finale/s3 premiere Mulder says something like "this could be the key to the whole government conspiracy", and in season 4 the new thing has to be "this could explain every alien abduction ever". s5 "the key to understanding EVERY X-FILE", s6 "This boy could explain every question science has ever asked", s7 "this will explain every religion and every philosophy in history", season 8 "THE ANSWER TO EVERY CONCEIVABLE QUESTION" I swear that last one is a direct quote lol. And oh god the pretentious voiceover monologues aaarrgh.

Anyway this is all why I really think that The X Files remained good as long as it did despite Chris Carter, not because of him. Like when Agent Doggett came in, Carter believed the series could continue for another ten years with new leads. I hope the reboot is good but if it is I don't think it'll be thanks to him!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Which one was the dude with the black-hole shadow? That poo poo gave me nightmares, although in hindsight it sounds completely laughable, like the most ridiculous idea ever. All in the execution, I guess.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ephori posted:

Which one was the dude with the black-hole shadow? That poo poo gave me nightmares, although in hindsight it sounds completely laughable, like the most ridiculous idea ever. All in the execution, I guess.

that's the one that starred Tony Shaloub iirc so it should be easy to google.

e: Soft Light 02x23
Mulder ponders the idea of spontaneous human combustion but rethinks it when they find a man, Chester Ray Banton (Tony Shalhoub), who is afraid of his own shadow. Banton is a scientist researching dark matter, and his shadow has somehow developed the ability to disintegrate people who come across it.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

i like the episode with the guy who was the medic in saving private ryan and he controls electricity and kills jack black qnd the one with the monster that lives in the sewers with the home ownere association is good, also.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
Here's another short teaser for the new show. Not much different from the first one, except more talking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKFxAJ8yH-8

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Ralp posted:

that's the one that starred Tony Shaloub iirc so it should be easy to google.

e: Soft Light 02x23
Mulder ponders the idea of spontaneous human combustion but rethinks it when they find a man, Chester Ray Banton (Tony Shalhoub), who is afraid of his own shadow. Banton is a scientist researching dark matter, and his shadow has somehow developed the ability to disintegrate people who come across it.
It's always fun to put actors' various roles together. Like, Chester Ray Banton finally got out of the brain-suck machine and started a new life as a police detective, though the experience left him with some psychological tics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010
I got into an argument with my friend about this.

I told her that I wanted an Anderson nude scene and she said I needed to respect her as an actress. I said respect and wanting to see tits are not mutually exclusive.

• Locked thread