Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

n8r posted:

Why on earth did you buy a house an hour away from your job?

I travel 50-75% of the time, and it's like 10 minutes from my wife's job. It's also only 5-10 minutes to my in-laws, and we wanted for her to be able to stay with her parents or whatever if she got lonely. It's a sacrifice for me but I think it's worth it overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

spwrozek posted:

Any real salon, in any city. $60 for a cut, $90+ for color, plus tip. My sister charges $160 for a cut and color in Toledo Ohio (not exactly New York). Add in a $30 tip...

I am not saying you have to pay it, just that it is realistic for most places to charge a pretty high amount.

Really though this isn't the problem with their budget.

Yeah real salons in real cities cost a lot, but there's all kinds of things in life where you can choose to spend a shitload of money for something. Between sisters, mothers, and a wife, I have six women in my family, and I'm confident none of them have ever spent $175 on a single day of hair care in their lives. Another friend of mine has a mowhawk which she has colored and styled regularly and even she once told me her big spendy visit to her hair person costs about $100, and she only does that every six months when she's feeling flush... the rest of the time, she styles it herself.

But that's all pretty much irrelevant, because: signalnoise has very little ability to ask his wife to cut back on her own personal discretionary spending, until he's shown he can go without spending several hundred dollars on games and toys for at least like six months or more. After that, they can both budget what they can afford for nonessential spending, and if hair salon is where his wife wants to spend like two thirds of her monthly fun money or whatever, go for it.

In the meantime, if he even raised an eyebrow at the cost of his wife's haircare, she could just point vaguely in the direction of his mountains of tiny plastic mens, or his Steam account, and he'd have to tuck tail and slink away.

Acid Queen
Aug 29, 2006

guaranteed to tear your soul apart
Wifey chiming in on the hair "issues." It was a cut and partial highlight with a stylist at a medium-grade salon. I think my last dye job was about 6ish months ago and don't plan on another one anytime soon. This one was done with the idea that I'm not going to be maintaining it, so this will grow out not looking weird. It sounds ridiculous and you may go "just go to great clips, Nancy is always fantastic!" Or "Revlon has a box for 12.99" but I've already had my hair annihilated by both crappy box dyes and lovely salons, and it costs more to fix that in the long run. And even if Signal was ok with me shaving my head, I'm not ready for that Miley look (and neither are my bosses).

Sorry dudes, ladies hair is complicated. But to reiterate: this is not a reoccurring monthly expense of that amount.

CuteJen96
Feb 23, 2015

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 3 years!)

Why worry about the hair all 'yall do is stay inside and stream tv shows and play obscure anime boardgames. poo poo, go to goofy cutz and save some dough, no one's gonna see or care anyway.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

CuteJen96 posted:

Why worry about the hair all 'yall do is stay inside and stream tv shows and play obscure anime boardgames. poo poo, go to goofy cutz and save some dough, no one's gonna see or care anyway.

nice av/post combo

CuteJen96
Feb 23, 2015

by zen death robot

Thank you :kimchi:

my hair cuts are 12 bucks

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I just run the clipper over my head in the shower every few weeks or so

WobblySausage
Nov 7, 2014
baseball caps are good with money. my hair "look" is basically marky marks right here since i wear a hat also:

then every few months i'll go get a haircut super short, and repeat.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Acid Queen posted:

Wifey chiming in on the hair "issues." It was a cut and partial highlight with a stylist at a medium-grade salon. I think my last dye job was about 6ish months ago and don't plan on another one anytime soon. This one was done with the idea that I'm not going to be maintaining it, so this will grow out not looking weird. It sounds ridiculous and you may go "just go to great clips, Nancy is always fantastic!" Or "Revlon has a box for 12.99" but I've already had my hair annihilated by both crappy box dyes and lovely salons, and it costs more to fix that in the long run. And even if Signal was ok with me shaving my head, I'm not ready for that Miley look (and neither are my bosses).

Sorry dudes, ladies hair is complicated. But to reiterate: this is not a reoccurring monthly expense of that amount.

Oh, that makes more sense and you were smart to get a cut that will grow out well.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

signalnoise posted:

Coulda done better, I managed to impulse buy a couple things.

This isn't so much a budget for August as it is a spending report. So now comes phase 2: actually setting the amount I expect to spend. I already went and made some entries for expected amounts. We're trying to keep a steady amount of money in our bank account just in case.

My wife made "at least the minimum" payments on our credit cards the other night but they haven't shown up in our statement. We're not facing any late charges but we'll be taking excess and throwing it at the credit cards.

Notes-

Travel:Services was a catch-all for poo poo like hotel, parking, and taxi while on site.

Savings:General is a smartypig account.

The +1.98 on T-Games is a result of refunds and selling some poo poo I didn't need, but as a Bad Spender I took some of that money and put it right back into my addiction. Net positive but it's not sustainable and I recognize that. Much less money spent on games and hobbies this month than usual, but still room to improve.

Entertainment:Restaurants was used as catch-all for any lunch-like expense that could've been covered by cooking for ourselves. It's kind of an eye opener.

Final note: A month is a long loving boring time when you're used to having a new shiny thing basically every day

You know what? That looks workable. I took a look back at your May and June spending on games and you went from $600-700 a month in May and in June, where even with the computer out and averaged means you were dropping 350$ a month and this last month you went to ~$80. That's a good start. What might help is to stay at this last 30 days level for a month more or two, to kind of let you get used to spending a lot less. Then you can look at cutting again in the future. Thank you for tracking your expenses in a reasonably sane way and good job, your metric of "if I could have just eaten at home I'll call it restaurant" is what my wife and I use and it's I think the best way of divvying your food budget between "groceries" and "eating out". You want to move to cooking your own food, so if you need to move money from "eating out" to groceries, go for it- your money-to-meal is like 3-10x more in groceries. Meaning spending 100$ at the grocery store gets you 300+ dollars worth if you'd eaten out for that many meals.

Do you guys have a rice cooker? I mean you can just boil it on the stove it's not hard but a rice cooker makes it completely foolproof. Put 2 scoops of rice in the cooker. Fill the thing to the "2" line. Push the button. Light turns yellow when done. Rice makes a great base for tons of tasty and easy and cheap meals, and in my experience rice-based meals reheat super well too.

I don't think the hair thing is a big deal, as long as it's only a couple times a year as Acid Queen said. It's worth it to go get a decent proper salon job periodically. I mean I get my haircuts in a 100% BFC-Approved way but there's nothing wrong with going every 6 months for a big one.

I also saw that you said the house needed a "couple grand" in work and you've spent ~3k. Is that it for your immediate work on the house or do you have more planned? I know this stuff can get out of control really fast.

What are your remaining credit card balances after the most recent payments?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Acid Queen: How much debt will you have when you leave school?

I know it's already too late re: buying the house, but other folks should take this situation as a cautionary tale. Buying a house when you're not super established in your career can be a really risky call financially. Being able to easily relocate for work can significantly increase your earnings and quality of life. Just moving to reduce your commute time can be insanely expensive when you have a mortgage - think closing costs/broker fees.

If AQ has the same same debt coming out of college as Signalnoise, combined with a house that probably cost what $175k? You're looking at somewhere in the range of ~$300 in debt? Do either of you have any retirement savings?

Your situation isn't horrible, but it's not great either. When you step back and look at the bigger picture, you really need to start sticking to a realistic budget, paying down debt, and saving for retirement. All of this while keeping an eye out for higher paying jobs near where you live (since you don't want to relocate).

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

n8r posted:

If AQ has the same same debt coming out of college as Signalnoise, combined with a house that probably cost what $175k? You're looking at somewhere in the range of ~$300 in debt? Do either of you have any retirement savings?

She won't have neeeeearly as much debt as me from school. I made horrible decisions in undergrad, she got out of undergrad with almost no debt. She is also going to an online grad program.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

signalnoise posted:

She won't have neeeeearly as much debt as me from school. I made horrible decisions in undergrad, she got out of undergrad with almost no debt. She is also going to an online grad program.
Is it likely to lead higher paying employment after graduation? (Just curious really, not suggesting it's a bad idea or anything).

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Yes, but I secretly believe she'll never get a really substantial raise until she changes employers. Sorry AQ

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I know that ship has sailed, but I hope you live somewhere with lots of job opportunities close to where you own a house.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I have just come to shrug and say hey, my commute is an hour. :thatsatlanta:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

signalnoise posted:

I have just come to shrug and say hey, my commute is an hour. :thatsatlanta:

no it's not. I live in Atlanta. When I had a 9-5, my commute was 12 minutes. My wife's commute is 15 minutes. just saying. taking a job near where you live is completely possible. it may not be what you've chosen to do, and that's fine, but I don't understand how or why people spend 2 hours a day commuting in this loving city, and feel pretty strongly about that point. I know you explained it away with your travel, but!

also, that hair expense... I asked my wife and she poo poo her pants. if it's the expensive fancy coloring, maybe don't color the hair?

that said, your restaurant and grocery expenses are ridiculously small. $85 on groceries for a month? I honestly can't believe it. If your total food expenses - both dining in and buying groceries in Atlanta - for an entire month between the two of you amount to 466.53, you're doing very well there.

Gas seems really low for a 2 hour daily commute? ??? / gj?

Also, did you not pay mortgage last month?

I know this goes without saying, but your home improvement expenses wrecked the month completely - you're spending money you don't have there. We can't see the entire picture since we don't have the mortgage and loan balances in YNAB, but it looks like you're making minimum payments on your student loans, car, and mortgage. I'm sure your mortgage is probably fine, but just be careful about accruing interest faster than you can pay it off. I'm sure your credit cards are the main thing to worry about there, and it sounds like you're making an effort to divert funds that way, so good job. but still, spending thousands on home improvements while carrying a balance on a credit card! (!!)

I'll stop harping!

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Sep 3, 2015

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
I think the hair expense is fine myself. My ex's hair cost $100 from a friend (professional) or $150-180 from a salon. Budget for it, you can count on it happening every 6-8wks (I realize your wife said otherwise, but usually it's a ~6wk thing no?)

The commute is insane to me. I was recently commuting 40-50min to my work and I frigging hated it. I live 15min from work without traffic or 20-30 with normal morning traffic and that's pushing it for me. But I don't want to live downtown so them's the breaks...

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

The commute is what it is. Not going to change....

I commute 40-50 minutes, it is great. I ride a bike though.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Been awhile. How's the budget been holding together?

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Spends 3300 on home improvement, BFC shits collective pants over 175 for haircut. I don't even

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I'll try to get a spending record together one of the next couple days. Been a hell of a month. I'll also get around to answering mindphlux's questions. Overall I have not been doing well on the budget, mostly due to eating out for lunch.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

signalnoise posted:

I'll try to get a spending record together one of the next couple days. Been a hell of a month. I'll also get around to answering mindphlux's questions. Overall I have not been doing well on the budget, mostly due to eating out for lunch.
I thought you liked cooking? This doesn't reconcile. :doh:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

SiGmA_X posted:

I thought you liked cooking? This doesn't reconcile. :doh:

Shamefully we have managed to not be moved into the new house yet. We discovered a problem that will require an electrician plus we've been too busy to do the final push on moving. So I still don't have a kitchen. Womp womp

CuteJen96
Feb 23, 2015

by zen death robot

Just found out that I've got 24 hours of sick time, 12 hours of PTO, and 5 vacation days left for this year.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

CuteJen96 posted:

Just found out that I've got 24 hours of sick time, 12 hours of PTO, and 5 vacation days left for this year.

I think you're crossing the stream a bit here B-man.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

signalnoise posted:

Shamefully we have managed to not be moved into the new house yet. We discovered a problem that will require an electrician plus we've been too busy to do the final push on moving. So I still don't have a kitchen. Womp womp
:bang: Yet you're already paying for your expensive Internet and mortgage and etc. Holy poo poo, lazy. Get on it.

CuteJen96 posted:

Wrong thread? But, I'm sorry, you need more PTO. Gettin' the shaft.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Looking forward to seeing your monthly budget summary, as well as hearing what your plan is for moving. I had been a bit curious as to how two people in a house of that size were paying that little for utilities; now I know that's just how much the house has been costing you while standing vacant. :ughh:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Should be able to get it knocked out tonight. September is a rough month for my wife and me. As for moving in, my wife said yesterday she wants to be moved in by the end of the week, so that's the deadline.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
what's new?

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Hope the move went well :)

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Yeah poo poo keeps going wrong with the house. Should be moved in Wednesday. Also the reason I haven't posted the record yet is because I have actively been going to SA less (to my benefit I think, mostly) and it just never occurs to me to do it when I'm home. Blehhhhh

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

signalnoise posted:

Yeah poo poo keeps going wrong with the house. Should be moved in Wednesday. Also the reason I haven't posted the record yet is because I have actively been going to SA less (to my benefit I think, mostly) and it just never occurs to me to do it when I'm home. Blehhhhh

Why aren't you moved in? :choco:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
granted I only started following a couple weeks ago, but why do I even loving check this thread anymore

seriously signalnoise, get your poo poo together or close the thread, please. I don't care if you're posting less in general or whatever. seriously I don't care. just close the thread, or post updates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Alright, well I just asked my wife if she could update her part and she said she doesn't want all our poo poo disclosed to the internet, so I'll close the thread. I'm still not spending nearly as much as I used to (almost none on hobbies/games) so for a short run I guess it's a success.

Anyways

• Locked thread