Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spandex Bonerlord
Sep 30, 2014

It used to be that people would only hear their favorite song like once or twice in their lifetimes. Now people can hear it whenever they want thanks to recording media. Music just isn't special anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

neither are you

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I reorder media only when a better edition comes out like replacing the crappy 1980s Beatles CDs

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Otacon posted:

neither are you

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Nah brah, music was ruined forever long before we invented recording devices. Memory, that's the real devil.

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
pssst, wanna buy some sheet music?

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

gently caress you edouard-leon scott de martinville, you ruined everything

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBL7V3zGMUA

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.
reordable isnt a word OP

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
When you can get your music on bear share why bother with compact discs

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
People would hear the same songs all the time, being a traveling bard used to be a viable profession.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
or they just, you know, sung it themselves

i'm pretty sure that's how most songs circulated far back enough for the OP's statement to even sort of make sense

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

notZaar posted:

People would hear the same songs all the time, being a traveling bard used to be a viable profession.

no one cares how Coldplay made their money

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

notZaar posted:

People also used to sing while they worked and whenever people got together, whether it was for some sort of holiday/festival or just to shitfaced and party, there would usually be a lot of singing involved.

DemonToadGoat
Jan 12, 2015

you can sing the same song a quadrillion different ways, and that's just before changing anything you'd see written on sheet music. you still only hear your favourite song twice in your lifetime. but the breadth of categorical enjoyment you receive from the moment has increased.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

DaveSplitter posted:

It used to be that people would only hear their favorite song like once or twice in their lifetimes.

drat. That's really weird to think about.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
Back in the old days kids would drive their turquoise green tbirds up to a dark cliff with their baes and their favorite song came on the old time radio and thats how they knew it was time to bang coz they didn't know if they would ever hear that song again. Kinda sad but also kinda beautiful.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

circ dick soleil posted:

Back in the old days kids would drive their turquoise green tbirds up to a dark cliff with their baes and their favorite song came on the old time radio and thats how they knew it was time to bang coz they didn't know if they would ever hear that song again. Kinda sad but also kinda beautiful.

thsi reminds me of when that old hunter in the norwegian film 'ofelas' knew he would never see the great white deer again. really makes you

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

time is an illusion, hth

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

I play my sister's favorite melodies on our grand piano while she lounges on the divan and slowly wastes away from consumption

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
There was time before recorded music when 'musician' was a respectable profession, because people were starved for entertainment and it was seen a skill that demands exceptional discipline and knowledge. Nowadays being a musician amounts to sampling loops, tweaking a few knobs and doing a lot of right-clicking with a mouse. Try telling your father-in-law-to-be that you're a musician and see how he reacts. (hint: not favorably)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
When my CDs get scratched I have to reorder them, pretty hosed up imo

With how technology has progressed you'd figure we'd be able to get music off the internet and not have to lug CDs around :shrug:

• Locked thread