Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

The_Franz posted:

if a video game is one of the most amazing experiences of your life then you probably don't have much of one

Game experiences. You Illiterate rear end in a top hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dasilodavi
Jan 25, 2015
Journey was fun.

But no. Do not be excited about a remake on the PS4. There is no new game-play, nor should there be. When a game's strength come from its minimalist design, what the hell are you going to add?

If you've never played it and now have the chance, go ahead and be excitedIf you're an older gamer who has updated your consoles, and now you have kids, and you're excited to show them something you couldn't before because your PS3's in a box in the back of a Gamestop or something, then go ahead and be excited (but ready to be disappointed when your kid gets bored and chucks the controller away).

Everyone else can chill. You played it, you went on the Journey. Don't shell out to "take the journey again." It's the same journey. :colbert:

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
journey is a fun afternoon but very atmospheric so don't play if that's not something you're looking for

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

Dasilodavi posted:

Journey was fun.

But no. Do not be excited about a remake on the PS4. There is no new game-play, nor should there be. When a game's strength come from its minimalist design, what the hell are you going to add?

If you've never played it and now have the chance, go ahead and be excitedIf you're an older gamer who has updated your consoles, and now you have kids, and you're excited to show them something you couldn't before because your PS3's in a box in the back of a Gamestop or something, then go ahead and be excited (but ready to be disappointed when your kid gets bored and chucks the controller away).

Everyone else can chill. You played it, you went on the Journey. Don't shell out to "take the journey again." It's the same journey. :colbert:

make ur kids smoke weed before u make them play journey

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
If not for poo poo non-games like Proteus this game would be the definition of substanceless pretentious bullshit and I do not understand why people fall all over themselves to talk about how profound this game is

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks

Dasilodavi posted:

Journey was fun.

I'll take the journey again and some internet Negative Nancy won't stop me. It's cross-buy so it won't cost me a dime, either.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Jose Oquendo posted:

clicked thread expecting Journey + Steve Perry reunion album.

Sorely disappointed.

rip steve https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LatorN4P9aA

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

game looks super boring where is the machien guns

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

The game is really super good but I'm not going to buy it again.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Nanomashoes posted:

The game is really super good but I'm not going to buy it again.

You don't have to. If you bought on PS3, you can download for free on PS4. Well, under the same account.

Journey is a great game in many ways. One of which is you can test whether someone has a soul by just seeing how they react to the game. Just throw anyone in front of the game and let them play it. Soon after you will know whether they are a human trash or someone of merit.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

You don't have to. If you bought on PS3, you can download for free on PS4. Well, under the same account.

Journey is a great game in many ways. One of which is you can test whether someone has a soul by just seeing how they react to the game. Just throw anyone in front of the game and let them play it. Soon after you will know whether they are a human trash or someone of merit.

Oh cool, thanks for the thread.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I've never played it but I'm probably getting a PS4 soon.

Is it worth?

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

The people of merit stand up and go do something else?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Moridin920 posted:

I've never played it but I'm probably getting a PS4 soon.

Is it worth?

Yes. Journey is one of the GOAT games.

Sony really should allow it to be released on other systems because it is a landmark achievement. It is actually an important game.

It is based on the hero's journey. This vid is a tad spoilery but it's not really a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWKKRbw-e4U

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Waltzing Along posted:

It is based on the hero's journey.

My years of english classes compel me to play it then I guess.

(really almost every story is 'based on the hero's journey' but I know what you mean)

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Nefarious posted:

a lot of bad posters saying this is a good game. if it was worth a poo poo it would have been released on pc

give this stinker a wide berth

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
honestly if there's anything that convinces me to try something it's goons declaring it to be poo poo without specific reasons attached

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Moridin920 posted:

honestly if there's anything that convinces me to try something it's goons declaring it to be poo poo without specific reasons attached

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
PS4 Journey is very good. Some subtle additions. Looks amazing. Would buy again.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
I hear the new singer looks and sounds like Steve Perry, but I'd still not go. :colbert:

By the by, what is Steve up to these days?

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

:lol:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
After having played through two times today, I have to say Journey is better than ever.

Man I missed having this game. Traded in my PS3 last year when I heard it was coming out . A nice long 11 month wait for it to finally drop.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

More like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTkHFQC3wow

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Waltzing Along posted:

After having played through two times today, I have to say Journey is better than ever.

Man I missed having this game. Traded in my PS3 last year when I heard it was coming out . A nice long 11 month wait for it to finally drop.

did you seriously play thru it twice today? get a loving job amigo

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Doctor Dogballs posted:

did you seriously play thru it twice today? get a loving job amigo

I can get through it in under an hour. Once you know the game you can fly through it really fast. "Fly." Get it, Journey buddies?

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
me? speedrunning atmosphere-oriented games, what about it

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky
its so good game

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Nefarious posted:

a lot of bad posters saying this is a good game. if it was worth a poo poo it would have been released on pc

give this stinker a wide berth

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

the new dude is p good

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/journey-ps4-review/1900-6416195/

quote:

It was my eighth playthrough and the tears still streamed, almost inexplicably; Journey is a song without words, reliant on its rapturous presentation and liberating movement to stir your mind and move your heart. With many games, I have wished that I could play them again for the first time--to experience that buzz that inevitably diminishes with each return visit. I will never need to waste this wish on Journey, however: each pilgrimage is as bittersweet as the last. How appropriate, given the game's theme of death and rebirth, that it feels so sorrowful, so joyous, and so true, each and every time.

"Journey would be just as effective as a movie," a friend once told me, but I must contradict her. Not that I can argue against the game's sumptuous environments and its sublime musical score, which earned masterpiece status the moment Journey was initially released on the PlayStation 3 in 2012. Certain landscapes have rightfully gained iconic stature, becoming the very definition of video game beauty. One shot depicts the cloaked figure you control standing atop a sand drift and gazing at the mountain you must reach, which rises above the desert and pierces the clouds. The view is a master class in simplicity and color story; the peach-orange tones of the sand give way to a sea-green sky--hushed hues for a hushed visual revelation. Another seminal sight: you skate across the sand from right to left, illuminated by a godly beam of sunlight while watching the remnants of a lost culture rush past. The screen is awash with shades of amber, and the warm sand glimmers as if mixed with golden crystals. Yes, even as a work of cinema, Journey would instill wonder.

But Journey is not a film, and its power is not gained by pretty pictures alone, but by your presence in its world. That side-scrolling glide would not choke me up if I couldn't feel the sand beneath my feet, and couldn't hit a ramp in just the right way to propel myself into the air. I wouldn't feel so beat down by the wind if I didn't feel it pushing against me as I trudged forward, and I wouldn't be so euphoric if I didn't personally experience the joy of skimming the ground. You see, you hear, and, vitally, you do. You surf the sand, you ride the wind, you seek shelter from danger, you make a friend. Seeing is believing, but it takes interaction to understand and know.

Describing Journey means describing these moments and these emotions. The mechanical basics are almost secondary, and quickly explainable. As a mysterious robed figure, you cross sand and other terrain en route to a far-off mountain. You make use of only two buttons. By pressing X, you leap into the air and soar, an ability that is limited by the length of the scarf that trails behind you. By pressing circle, you cry out to whatever or whomever might heed your call. Journey is desolate, but you are not alone. You call to flocks of ribbons that hover about like restless robins, and they provide energy to your scarf. You meet cloth creatures that become travel guides and provide magic-carpet rides to higher ground. And presuming you play while connected to the Internet, you may encounter another lone individual in your travels--an individual you can ignore, or one you can accompany, chirping to her when you locate secret hieroglyphs, or when a fearsome ribbon-dragon appears and you don't want to continue alone.

The mechanics are simple, but they establish a direct connection to the heart. Consider that flowing scarf, which trails behind you as you surf and soar, growing larger whenever you locate and touch a glowing flower. On a mundane level, it functions as a power bar that you fill up by making contact with cloth, and deplete by leaping. In context, the scarf is your life force, governing your ability to joyfully drift through the air. Gliding is Journey's most exuberant act, and by limiting its use, the game makes joy itself a currency.

Journey uses this ecstasy-based economy to craft an emotional arc across its entirety, as well as to emphasize individual moments. Your scarf grows longer and longer, but a frightful encounter with that terrible ribbon-monster turns your rippling shawl into a mere stub. You cannot fight--you can only hide. Being discovered is devastating because the scarf is where the cheer and comfort of flight are stored. You were offered a heartwarming gift, only to have it yanked from your hands. Journey also uses this moment to connect you with your wordless cooperative companion. By this stage, you understand the meaning the scarf carries with it. Seeing your sidekick succumb like this forges empathy: you know that the monster has abolished his joy.

This give-and-take is how the final levels gain their potency. Your ability to glide is diminished, then revoked. You no longer drift through sand, but brace yourself against an exhaustive wind. Then, the moment comes when all hope seems lost. You hold your breath and assume the worst. And then, the controller rumbles--just once, like a single heartbeat. And all that was taken away is restored, then multiplied, and multiplied again.

This is the source of those tears. It is not the sadness of the loss, but the bliss of being honored for your perseverance. These are tears of elevation, so perfectly described by Roger Ebert in 2009. I have heard people describe this final climb in terms of an afterlife, and that's a reasonable interpretation of the scene, in which you float higher and higher towards the mountain's zenith. But even in the moment, whether or not you make this conscious religious association, you might feel weepy in spite of yourself. The gift was given, and it was taken away. And then, you were liberally showered with gifts, and so you ascended, higher and higher, towards your next journey.

It is possible that Journey will not move you. In such a case, it is simply a beautiful game with a glorious soundtrack, grounded by a wistful cello melody later threaded through a warm quilt of winds and strings. The chance you might be swept away, however, makes it worth plunging your feet into the warm sand. If you are returning to Journey, a higher resolution and a higher frame rate are your ostensible rewards for returning--a return that doesn't cost you anything if you already own the game on the PlayStation 3. But Journey's real rewards aren't so pedestrian. Journey offers you comfort. It gives you companionship in a lovely but forsaken world. It gives you reason to dream even when facing loss.

A good review. Also, based on user/critic reviews, Journey is one of the top 3 games on the PS4. (Witcher 3 and GTA5)

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
If you want to play an actually good art game, play The Void instead.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

SnowblindFatal posted:

If you want to play an actually good art game, play The Void instead.

The Void: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-void
Journey: http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/journey

You were saying?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

The Taint Reaper posted:

This isn't true at all.

Look how the PC handled the new Batman game.

Oh wait it couldn't because it crashed upon loading....

Also all the PC exclusive games are lovely mobas, lovely MMos, and garbage indies. What's holding the PC back is the PC itself.

PC guys want it to be like the 16 bit era again where PCs were phenomenally more powerful compared to consoles, but consoles have caught up and you're not going to have that major a difference in performance again. While there may be slight differences in performance as afar as frame rate and draw distance, you're not really going to suffer much by buying a game on the PC that's also available on the console.

Also even given the option most PC Devs wind up making poo poo for Android and IOS now. That is the future and legacy of PC exclusive gaming.

Getting serious in this thread

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Journey is great but nothing will ever top the experience of learning to fly with your co-op buddy for the first time.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Journey was p good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW
journey was pretty sweet in the youtube no commentary playthrough i watched

will continue to watch PS games on youtube until they loving release them on Steam i'm not buying your poo poo console for the 2 games I want

• Locked thread