Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How naturally clean or dirty are you?
You could eat off of any surface in my house and not get sick
There's mail and stuff everywhere, but at least the kitchen and bathroom are clean
My kitchen and bathroom are not clean
CPS has been called to rescue my children from the mess
View Results

• Locked thread
Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
The Nature of My Living Space -- Apartment with 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a common area with kitchen. Oh, and a balcony (I do what I can out there).

Who Lives in There -- Me, a roommate and the roommate's cat.

My Cleaning Responsibilities -- Clean up your mess: that's our big rule to be honest. My roommate takes care of his cat and we each take care of our respective bedrooms and bathrooms.

My Cleaning Schedule -- I find myself just walking around my place doing random cleans after work like picking up floors, wiping down counters, taking garbage out, doing dishes and taking the bottles to the depot. On my days off I do bigger cleans when I have more energy like my bathroom, kitchen and TV area.

Equipment/Supplies I Cannot Clean Without -- Get a good, wide mop bucket and keep these things in there: All-Purpose Cleaner, Bathroom Cleaner, Glass Cleaner, Stainless Steel Cleaner, Wood Polish, CLR and liquid cleaner designed to be poured into that mop bucket with hot water. Oh, and paper towels and good, heavy-duty latex gloves.

Equipment/Supplies I Enjoy Using but Aren't Necessities -- Eh, nothing special here.

Any Cleaning Tips I Feel Like Sharing -- If you ever want your place to feel really fresh: get a good vacuum in because having clean carpets makes a world of difference.

Bonus questions:

Chores I Love or Hate -- I hate putting laundry away and am guilty of letting it sit in the basket for too long. I enjoy vacuuming because it REALLY freshens the place up after you do it.
Helpful Cleaning Resources I Recommend -- No websites/apps because I'm old school but keeping all-purpose cleaner and paper towels handy is all you need for daily up-keep
My Cleaning Soundtrack Music -- It's all over the map but I've been listening to Lady Gaga strangely enough (it's catchy, shut up)

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Aug 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I edited the OP to add this -- another great resource if you're looking for cleaning tips or motivation is ApartmentTherapy.com's "cleaning" tag.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Trip report from my dad's house:

I spent yesterday cleaning my father's kitchen and master bathroom. It took :siren: 6 HOURS :siren: to do those two rooms, but they are now clean and sanitary.

If any of you are in the position where you are looking at a huge cleaning job and don't know where to begin, this is what I did -- I literally walked into his kitchen, picked a corner, and worked all the way around the room. I cleaned everything in that corner, starting with the ceiling and walls, and moving down to the baseboards.

Dusted every item and piece of furniture I encountered as I moved down. Took books and poo poo off bookshelves, cleaned shelves, cleaned books and poo poo, replaced. Moved counter-clockwise around the room, cleaning all furniture and their objects, grubby doorframes, light-switch plates and outlets, walls and baseboards as I went. Multi-component items like spice racks got every component removed and cleaned, then cleaned the rack and replaced spices. Top of refrigerator and its handles and interiors, inside and outside of microwave, the corners of cabinets and drawers where 25 years of hands touching them have left a film, underneath the stove hood, every slat of Venetian blind, every window and windowsill, dumped out bug-egg-infested flour and sugar jars to clean and replace with new flour and sugar, sanitized telephone, sanitized counters and tables and chairs and garbage can, laundered throw rugs and dish towels, did I mention dusting EVERYTHING even the tops of wall lights, sterilized every square inch of the kitchen sink and all its components, and lastly, scrubbed the kitchen floor on my hands and knees.

And then I did the bathroom the same way.

:suicide101:

...And this is why you always leave a note clean on the reg, so you don't get to the point where this loving ordeal is necessary.

• Locked thread