Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
hello. My request is to know the statistical chance of a battleship game to come down to the last "attack". For example I, player a, have two spots left to guess because I hit one of his two battleship spots. He has only one attack left as he has hit my battle ship and only has one open attack left so essentially there is a 50% chance if I win or not. What are the statistical chance this happens and please no trolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Sorry, you lost too many of the pegs, so if the game doesn't end early you just have to put it away again without playing the last turns.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

resistentialism posted:

Sorry, you lost too many of the pegs, so if the game doesn't end early you just have to put it away again without playing the last turns.

No there are enough pieces

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
i just tried sucking my own dick and i still dont have any answers here

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

tbp posted:

hello. My request is to know the statistical chance of a battleship game to come down to the last "attack". For example I, player a, have two spots left to guess because I hit one of his two battleship spots. He has only one attack left as he has hit my battle ship and only has one open attack left so essentially there is a 50% chance if I win or not. What are the statistical chance this happens and please no trolls.

100%

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.

tbp posted:

50/50

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

tbp posted:

This is why you're not allowed to play games anymore Timmy. Every drat time we just want a nice family game you have to come up with all this math stuff. Every goddamn time. I am so sick of your bullshit Timmy. Go to your room.

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.

tbp posted:

gonna change my answer, its actually 0% because who the gently caress plays battleships in 2015

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Wait, a battleship board game? Like a game based off that awful Michael Bay movie? Hahahah

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine
When my four yr old nephew plays Hungry Hungry Hippos he's not satisfied to merely win the game; his hippo must consume all the marbles and leave his three hippo brethren to starve.

He also likes trains a lot. Odds of him spending :10bux: here someday?

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer
I don't play battleship but I ran the number of spins expected to complete Hi Ho Cherry O.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

1/3

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
110%

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
bump

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
I made my battleships out of repurposed Tetris pieces to get a further edge on my opponents, good luck taking shots at my S-shaped battleship.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
No question mark in OP. Just statements. Therefore my answer is purple.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Bump

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

0% because everybody loving cheats at battleship

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
0% because no one plays that dumb game.

How big is the grid on that game? 14 X 14? 10 X 10? You could definitely get a real answer by asking in the math questions thread in Science, Academics, and Languages.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2347479

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

well it's simple you see. take a binomial distributionm across the 14x14 grid, subtract the number of pins that are "hits," modulate for the tendancy to continue aiming near a prior hit (Stassens has reported a mod of .3, but van Leuwensdyk disagrees and says it's around .41) and poof. Oh and op your mom sunk my battleship, and it wasn't the last shot at all.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

0% because no one plays that dumb game.

How big is the grid on that game? 14 X 14? 10 X 10? You could definitely get a real answer by asking in the math questions thread in Science, Academics, and Languages.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2347479

While the first part of your post was cruel and unnecessary, thank you for the latter part, especially as it was not coupled with a tepid burn that was unhelpful and unkind

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
gently caress math. Just do a MCMC simulation.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

tbp posted:

While the first part of your post was cruel and unnecessary, thank you for the latter part, especially as it was not coupled with a tepid burn that was unhelpful and unkind

"Hello. i am going to copy and paste the question i asked previous in GBS, the forum filled with fuckshit trolls who did not do anything to help me figure out my endeavor. now i turn to thee, math thread, filled with wondrous knowledge of mathematics:"

He called us fuckshit trolls!

Or did we just get trolled? a 2008 can't be this dumb (about the forums, not the battleship thing....hosed if I know about that).

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

spud posted:

"Hello. i am going to copy and paste the question i asked previous in GBS, the forum filled with fuckshit trolls who did not do anything to help me figure out my endeavor. now i turn to thee, math thread, filled with wondrous knowledge of mathematics:"

He called us fuckshit trolls!

Or did we just get trolled? a 2008 can't be this dumb (about the forums, not the battleship thing....hosed if I know about that).

There were several trolls contained within this thread that were inflammatory, uninspired and unnecessary. However, I do not speak for all of GBS - just that I notice a certain "infestation". As for your latter part, well, I have never once trolled in my life.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

100% chance that if ur still playing battleship and over 12 years old that u don't have to worry about this problem because there's no one on the others ide of the board

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
111%

• Locked thread