Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

kayakyakr posted:

Texas Tech Red Raiders

Offense

Depth is an issue here as well, with no idea which newcomers will emerge.

Defense

The team returns nearly all of the DL and for once it actually looks like a fairly deep and veteran unit. Our 1st team features 2 possible NFL players in Pete Roberson and Branden Jackson and a 40 lb lighter Rika Levi. After them is a few more seniors and a highly touted freshman.

They've also been among the conference's worst in generating turnovers. Let's hope that can change.

Schedule
9/5 vs Sam Houston State - W #2 team in FCS. Will be close early with Tech pulling away.
9/12 vs UTEP - W UTEP is not a good team. If Tech struggles, that's a bad sign
9/19 @ Arkansas - L I'd love to claim we're going to go off to Arkansas to beat them, but I just don't have enough confidence in our ability to not get run over. To win we will need no punts, no turnovers and to turn them over instead.
9/26 vs TCU - W Huge trap game for TCU. Tech will want revenge for the 82 TCU put up, it's in Lubbock, and Tech will be coming in with little hype. More likely Aaron Green will go for 300.
10/3 vs Baylor - L This is going to be close, again. Russell will need to be on-point. If TTU loses to TCU, I think they upset Baylor.
10/10 vs ISU - W ISU is going to be a sneaky good team that's going to lose a lot of close games in ISU fashion. Being in Lubbock, I think TTU puts the pedal down early and ISU can't keep up.
10/17 @ Kansas - W poor Kansas
10/24 @ Oklahoma - W Baker Mayfield plays this game after Trevor Knight is knocked out against UT. Tech really hates him. His stat line: 10/25 1 TD, 1 INT, 2 Fumbles. Perine isn't enough, TTU starts rolling
10/31 vs Oklahoma State - W Halloween in Lubbock is great. Teams try to turn it into a shootout, as usual. Davis Webb does not throw a back breaking interception.
11/7 @ WVU - L Tech riding too high, has a letdown against a dangerous WVU squad.
11/14 vs KSU - W Never want to play KSU late in the season, but Tech turns them over 3 times for a complete role reversal from normal.
11/26 @ Texas - W gently caress the Longhorns

Best case: 12-0 - TTU has a defense-fueled revival that mirror's TCU's from last season. 6 players are drafted in the 1st, 3rd, 4th, 2x5th, & 7th rounds. That's OK because our last 8 of 29 recruits are all 4 & 5*'s
Worst case: 3-9 - Tech repeats last season, beating only ISU, Kansas, and UTEP, losing to SHSU in the opener besides. Kliff Kingsbury stays coach, but the situation is dire.
Predicted: 9-3 - Tech surprises some teams, upsets a few, and returns to the middle of the pack with a defense that isn't a liability and can sometimes make up for the offense being stupid.

TTU's OL was one of the best in the league, blocking for the Big XII's yardage leader in an air raid offense. Tech's potential NFL guys were huge busts and our DL took a massive poo poo all over the field.

Swap Arkansas and TCU. Was wrong about Baker Mayfield, gently caress that dude. Lost to OSU in a game where we had a chance. Was a few plays away from being right in a my overall prediction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

I predicted 7-5 with a floor of 5-7 and somehow we managed to be even worse. What a season!

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Virginia Tech Hokies
11.28 @ UVA - W (100/0) LOLUVA #12Straight

Best Case Scenario : 13-0, ACC Champs and a spot in the Playoff as prb the 3 or 4 seed (have to assume any SEC Champ with 1 or 0 losses and a PAC12 champ with the same would be higher ranked) Beamer rides off into the sunset with a good note.

Likely Scenario: 10-4/3, This includes the bowl game either we lose that an the ACC title, or we lose an extra regular season game along the way and win the bowl to hit 10. We all hope Beamer hangs it up and lets someone else do things, although speaking of likely answers it just means he stays for at least 1 more year.

Worst Case Scenario: 6-6, Another losing record in conference, and Beamer probably gets shown the door.

I fully expect this team to get back to the 10 win margin and be in contention for the Coastal until the GT game (which will probably decide the division as it almost always does).I'd like to see us back in Charlotte to feel like this team lived up to what it should be capable of. Anything less really will feel like stagnation or a continued back slide.

Tennessee Volunteers

Best Case Scenario - 10-2 with a trip to the SECCG. This probably means being the break out team of the east, probably will include an early loss to OU or losses to both west division foes. This would require a number of upsets, so even at the best this team can't run the table with that schedule.

Likely Scenario - 8-4 feels about right, I think they should finally win some of those games vs the East they haven't (UF, Mizz,) while losing to their west division foes and OU. If they're competitive in the losses it'll feel like a good season on Rocky Top.

Somewhere between 7-9 wins feels right.

Well I at least correctly predicted the Volunteers record as the most likely scenario. They were a couple plays away from being my best case scenario so all in all I think I nailed them.

The Hokies well GOD drat EXPECTATIONS. Although i do think if Brewer hadn't been hurt in the opener we'd be closer to 8-4 than 6-6. About the only thing I got wrong about 6-6 was that we'd have a losing in conference record when we ended up 2-2 OOC, and 4-4 ACC play, but it was looking grim at the end of October. At least I got their floor correct, and I was 100% right about UVA #12Straight. I guess I was also right about Beamer stepping down, but that was p obvious to just about everyone so...

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 9, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

computer parts posted:

Texas A&M

Arizona State (@Reliant) W -Toss up but I'm a homer
Ball State W
Nevada W
@Arkansas (AT&T Classic) W - I don't know, it was pretty much equal last time so I'll lean W

Miss St L - I don't have good feelings about this
Alabama L - obvious
@Ole Miss L - we only won there on sheer luck last time
South Carolina W - even though we do terrible at home I think we'll be not terrible enough this time

Auburn L
West Carolina W
@Vanderbilt W
@LSU L - But who really knows with LSU

Final standings:

7-5

SEC:

3-5

But like I said, a lot of this year is a big question mark so this is about as safe a prediction as I can make.

Except for Miss State, I was completely right. Although granted I thought Auburn was going to be a lot better this season so that still looks bad on us.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

pillsburysoldier posted:

Your reigning BCS Champions Florida State University Seminoles

I hate playing GT.

Best Case Scenario: FSU completes a third undefeated season
Worst Case Scenario:FSU loses two games, Clemson and Georgia Tech.
What'll Probably Happen: Unfathomably losing more than two games.

~~~~~~~~~~~LOST SEASON~~~~~~~~~~~

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Georgia:

-Nick Chubb will get a million carries and eventually wear down and tear something. Faton Bauta turns out to be good please give him a chance Richt he's real good
-Alabama kicks the holy dogshit out of us
-Brian Schottenheimer
-we'll lose to Florida and South Carolina again and absolutely demolish Tech because Georgia rivalries are weird.
-9-3 yet again, SEC bridesmaid yet again, Another New Years bowl nobody watches yet again.

:toxx: if Georgia makes the playoff I will document a trip to Gainesville, Florida wherein I urinate on the Tebow/Spurrier statues

WOW

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Right on UGA not winning the SEC East, right on Chubb not being a Heisman finalist, right on 8-4 being the team's floor, but right for all the wrong reasons. If you told me "9-3" I would've totally believed it, but that this would lead to Richt's firing would've had me baffled.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
I was right

UAB went unbeaten

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Gat drat

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Scarf posted:

Clemson Tigers

Clemson is predicted to be at the top of the ACC this year, but it comes with a pretty big "if." If, and only if Deshaun Watson can stay healthy and continues to perform the way he did last year, Clemson should have an outstanding season. Coming off of a torn ACL always leads to questions about health and stability, so we'll just have to see how he performs. The running and receiving corps are in good shape in both experience and depth. Charone Peake is returning for his final season and will likely be Watson's #1 target in the passing game. On the ground, CJ Davidson is also returning for his final season and will likely get the majority of the carries, but look for Tyshon Dye and Wayne Gallman to be more prominent this year. Junior TE Jordan Leggett should also be seeing a lot of action this year as well. With all of that said, it can't be stated enough that the loss of OT Isaiah Battle from the offensive line was a huge hit to the offense.

Defense is the big question-mark for the Tigers this year. Clemson lost some amazing defensive talent in Vic Beasley, Stephone Anthony, Tony Steward, and Grady Jarrett. There's no doubt that there is absolutely still some great talent in Clemson's defense, but the lack of experience may prove problematic.

Schedule:

9/5 Wofford - W, Sorry Terriers, enjoy your time in Clemson!
9/12 Appalachian State - W, App State is not nearly the team they were a few years ago... Shouldn't pose any problems.
9/17 @ Louisville - W, A Thursday night away game, and definitely Clemson's first "test" of the season, but Louisville lost a lot from last season.
10/3 Notre Dame - W, This game is going to be an amazing experience. Home field advantage is going to be huge, Clemson comes out ahead. gently caress Notre Dame.
10/10 Georgia Tech - W, This is a bit of a toss-up like most years. If Watson is still healthy, Clemson pulls a narrow win.
10/17 Boston College - W, Addazio has been building BC back up to a good team, I don't think they're quite there yet... It'll be a hard-fought win.
10/24 @ Miami - W, This might be a weird one for Clemson, they're not used to playing in completely empty stadiums.
10/31 @ NC State - W, The Wolfpack is going to be salty after last year's shutout, and with the home field, they'll make it a lot closer. Clemson still wins though.
11/7 Florida State - W/L, Honestly I can see this going either way, and I'm never comfortable calling this game. If Watson is still healthy, we SHOULD win. But a loss is equally as likely.
11/14 @ Syracuse - W, Sorry fellas, still only room for one orange team in this division.
11/21 Wake Forest - W, I'd really like to see Wake be somewhat competitive again in the ACC. But it isn't happening this year.
11/28 @ South Carolina - W, Hard to call because I have no idea what Scar is going to be like this year... So going off of last year's performance, Clemson should win again.

Best Case Scenario: Deshaun Watson stays healthy and leads Clemson to an undefeated season, an ACC Championship and a spot in the CFB Playoff. Given this schedule and Watson's ability, this is incredibly possible, even with the questions on defense.

Worst Case Scenario: Watson gets reinjured early in the season and Clemson loses to Notre Dame, GT, FSU, and Scar.

Most likely Scenario: Clemson loses one or two games again this season either to FSU, Notre Dame, or GT.

Obligatory:

:dance:

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Thermos H Christ posted:

Overall 7-6 or 6-7. Loud grumbles from the fanbase but Strong's job is safe. Shawn Watson is not the OC in 2016.

Not too terribly far off the mark.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

This season won't be a success for Texas unless Steve Patterson is gone before the end of it.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Ross Angeles posted:

San Diego State Aztecs

SDSU is coming off a fifth consecutive winning season, which is already a school record and is poised in a down MWC to finally win a MWC title. We got 27 first place votes from the preseason media poll, after having received just 22 in the previous 16 years of being in the MWC. We have a senior transfer QB from Kentucky in Maxwell Smith, in a conference where no one has a QB. We have the best RB in the conference and one of the best in the country in DJ Pumphrey. We had badass new uniforms. I am hype as gently caress, we're gonna win 10 games because gently caress You.

Schedule:

vs USD W USD is a bad team
@Cal W Upset. Pumphrey gonna go off.
vs South Alabama W I know nothing about South Alabama
@Penn State L gently caress Penn State
vs Fresno State W Revenge motherfuckers. Give us that drat oil can.
@Hawaii W lol hawaii
@San Jose State WFales ain't walking through that door
vs Utah State W Tossup. This will be a good game and it's on ESPN2
@Colorado State L I hate altitude.
vs Wyoming W Wyoming hates sea level
@UNLV W gently caress the rebs
vs Nevada W Ten wins bitch

Record: 10-2, MWC West Champions, gonna win the MWC Title game too, probably against Boise

Fear the Spear

Well, I was right on the win total and that we were gonna win the MWC Title game. Just wrong on the losses. Oh well!

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

paperchaseguy posted:

VIRGINIA

09/05/15 UCLA L
09/12/15 vs. Notre Dame L
09/19/15 vs. William & Mary W
09/25/15 vs. Boise State L
10/10/15 at Pittsburgh L
10/17/15 vs. Syracuse W
10/24/15 at North Carolina L
10/31/15 vs. Georgia Tech L
11/07/15 at Miami L
11/14/15 at Louisville L
11/21/15 vs. Duke W
11/28/15 vs. Virginia Tech L

Nailed every game but GT.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Zoran posted:

Obligatory Oklahoma 14-0

I should have known. Revising to 13-1! :)

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005

Will Styles posted:

Arizona State Sun Devils
Schedule
Sat, Sept 5 vs Texas A&M ? - I don't know what to make of this one. aTm was pretty bad on defense last year and despite getting a new DC I think they'll still be too new in the system to fight off ASUs offense. Then again ASU is 0-9 all time against SEC schools and we play like poo poo in big games so who knows on this one.
Sat, Sept 12 vs Cal Poly W - FCS cupcake
Fri, Sept 18 vs New Mexico W - FBS cupcake
Sat, Sept 26 vs USC L - We've beaten USC twice in a row but with the talent/experience USC has coming back I'm not sure we can win this one.
Sat, Oct 3 @UCLA W - ASU will be out for revenge on this one. I don't think Rosen will be as good as people hope and UCLA will struggle offensively.
Sat, Oct 10 vs Colorado W - Oh Colorado, when will you not be terrible?
Sat, Oct 17 @Utah W - Utah always plays us tough but somehow we always win. Expecting more of the same
BYE
Thu, Oct 29 vs Oregon L - Vernon Adams will have had enough time to learn the offense by now. ASU struggles against good run teams so I expect a loss here.
Sat, Nov 7 @Washington St W - Wazzu hasn't had an answer for us and Graham has Leach's number. I don't expect much to change.
Sat, Nov 14 vs Washington W - Washington is set up to have real bad year. Hopefully we can put this one away early and rest up for the next one.
Sat, Nov 21 vs Arizona W - gently caress these guys. Really though this game will be close again and anything can/will happen. Last year we broke the streak of visitors winning so maybe home-field advantage will be with us this time.
Sat, Nov 28 @Cal W - Cal will be better this year, I just don't think they'll be good enough to stop ASUs attack while our Defense will pressure Goff into making bad decisions

Best case: 12 - 0: ASU has the talent to be competitive in every game, and with a little luck could run the table in the regular season
Worst case: 6 - 6: Losses to aTm, USC, UCLA, Oregon, Utah and Arizona going on to lose in some mediocre bowl because the players gave up on the season
Predicted: 10 - 2: Splitting USC/UCLA and a loss to Oregon, coming in 2nd in the south.

:smith:

Well looks like we ended up with the worst case scenario swapping losses to Arizona and UCLA with losses to CAL and WSU. The North was stronger this year than I think most expected and the South wasn't quite as good as we thought it would be. ASU's offense was significantly worse than anyone thought they would be, in most part due to the offensive play-calling. I'm not sure Norvell knew what to do with a non-mobile quaterback. The defense struggled to stop the big plays, but that was expected coming into the season.

At least we beat Arizona so the season wasn't a total loss.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Benne posted:

Prediction: the Washington Huskies will be poo poo and make me very sad every Saturday

Well, we're still Oregon's bitch, but bowl eligibility is way more than I was expecting this year and they actually made me happy some Saturdays!

downout
Jul 6, 2009

I was so close to buying B1G CCG tickets back when they first came out to watch OSU play. I am so glad I just procrastinated until it was too late.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

R.D. Mangles posted:

Prediction: HAT

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Arizona Wildcats

Last Season: 10-4, Pac-12 South champions, lost Fiesta Bowl against Boise State

Key Losses: The offensive line. The secondary
Key Returnees: QB Anu Solomon, RB Nick Wilson, LB Scooby Wright, SF William Parks, WR ALL OF THEM (except Davonte' Neal--more below)

Arizona punched above their weight last season and won the Pac-12 South, and this year return a lot of the key contributors to that team. 2014 wasn't supposed to be their year. The team was young (outside the secondary and offensive line) and exceeded expectations, though they were obviously a very young team (the UCLA loss was some of the worst football I've ever seen, but the way they absolutely crushed Utah and played perfectly against Oregon the first time around were glimpses of the future). The thing is, 2015 sees a ton of returning talent, and it's all still young talent.

Offense
RichRod delivers. The offensive line played average and it didn't matter most of the year (though see the Boise State game), because Nick Wilson did his job and Solomon was good, though sack-prone at times. Solomon was good as a first-year starter, and should only improve. I don't think we'll see a sophomore slump, but I hope he just irons out the inconsistencies. When he was on, he was loving on, but other times it was a complete disaster. Consistency is what's needed. He doesn't need to be a hero. The receiving corps is probably the strongest part of the offense, and it's loving phenomenal. The entire offensive line departs, but it wasn't spectacular. It was fine, but it could be better. New blood is reason to worry, but I don't think we'll have any serious problems. If the offensive line is average, the offense won't be a problem.

Defense
Okay, people have maligned Casteel's 3-3-5, but Arizona's defense was downright good last season. Not great. Good. Obviously attention centers on linebacker Scooby Wright, who is the best linebacker in America and is backed up by some good players around him. But 5 of the front 6 returns. The secondary is almost entirely gone, except for William Parks, who is really good. The problem is that the team really leaned on the secondary last season to stall out drives and let the pass rush do it's work (except Cal holy poo poo guys can you stop a pass). So it's up to a bunch of new blood, including WR-turned-CB Davonte' Neal (he's very good but Arizona is so deep at WR it's probably for the best) to not fall apart. The talent wasn't great, but they were reliable when everything on offense went to poo poo.

Overall Prospects
I sound really positive, and I am! Arizona is a top-20 team with conference championship aspirations. The problem is...so's the rest of the Pac-12 South (except noted FCS team Colorado)

Schedule
UTSA Roadrunners - W - this was closer than it needed to be last year, but I don't see that happening again
@ Nevada Wolfpack - W - cupcake
Northern Arizona Lumberjacks - W - the cupcakiest of cupcakes
UCLA Bruins - ??? - not a drat clue. Maybe their QB will be good. Maybe Jim Mora is an architect of a house of cards. :iiam:
@ Stanford Cardinal - ? - It'll probably be close, but I think Arizona's the better team
Oregon State Beavers - W - no idea how Mike Anderson does in Corvallis, but whatever, it's Oregon State, not Real Oregon
@ Colorado Buffaloes - W - no I was wrong this is the cupcakiest of cupcakes
Washington State Cougars - W - This shouldn't be competitive. :rip: wheez
@ Washington Huskies - W - this shouldn't be competitive
@ USC Trojans - L - I think USC's probably going to win the South.
Utah Utes - ? - Arizona did terrible things to Utah last season, but I figure Utah will, of course, be better, and this game will be competitive
@ Arizona State Sun Devils - W - I'll always predict a win in this game (gently caress ASU the cup stays in Tucson :colbert:)

A weak schedule helps!

Best Case: 15-0 god bless RichRod
Worst Case: 7-5 gently caress you Todd Graham
Likely Case: 10-2 :pac12southsay:

Oh, and all the players I keep talking about, on offense and defense? Almost none are seniors. Arizona will peak in 2016 and if Arizona meets expectations this season I'll probably just post 15-0 national champs for the entire preview next season.

EDIT: :siren: I remembered we don't have a bye week. Uhh...I have no idea how that impacts my projects, but luckily we get OSU-CU-Wazzu-UW all in a row, so hopefully they can rest the starters a bit. :siren:
Okay we did worse than the worst case scenario. Finished fifth in the division. Luckily, we beat Utah, which secured bowl eligibility, but yeah. Didn't go as planned.

Oh well, gonna trash New Mexico and then do it again next season

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Sash! posted:

"@" Temple W
Buffalo W
Rutgers W
San Diego State W
Army W
Indiana W
@ Ohio State L
Maryland W
@ Northwestern W
Michigan L
@ Michigan State L
Bowl Game how the hell should I know, but probably W

PSU doesn't leave Pennsylvania for a game until the middle of October! It's like being an SEC team! I just hope the Ohio State and Michigan State games aren't horrible disasters and I hope the Michigan game is a large enough margin that I'm not like "ugh how did they lose that" but also not like "oh geez I just want this to be over" by the end of the third. I'm not super sure about Northwestern because I never know what to think about Northwestern.

Well, Ohio State and Michigan State WERE horrible disasters, I wasn't sure about Northwestern and look at that it was barely a loss, Michigan wasn't really bad and satisfied my desire, and ultimately the only surprise was losing to loving Temple

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

It's basically every year at Georgia now I'm not a soothsayer or anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
i didnt make any predictions because i committed sepekku but if i didthy wouldve been "roll fucinng tide 14-0" AND I WOULDVE BEEN RIGHT

• Locked thread