Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Problem description: I built a new computer a few months ago. Everything worked fine for a few months but suddenly my computer has started randomly shutting off on me. Specifically, what happens is that I'll be in the middle of a video game, and everything will be fine until suddenly and without warning the screen goes black and a few seconds later my computer shuts off. When this happens, I have to let the computer cool off for a few minutes before opening anything after it auto-restarts, or else it auto-shutdowns again.

Attempted fixes:I'm not sure how to isolate the problem. I thought it was power, because it only happens when I play video games. But it's not any game in particular, and not consistently. Furthermore, the way that it can quickly shutdown after a reboot suggests (to my amateaur eye) that it's not strictly a power load issue. Some days I can play Witcher 3 or Elite Dangerous cranked to max for hours with no problem, but just now (after playing for about 3 hours) I shut down trying to watch a DOTA2 match.

I thought it might be temperature related, but my CPU+GPU idle at ~40c and go up to ~70c under load. That shouldn't be high enough to cause a shutdown, should it?

Recent changes: None

--

Operating system:Windows 8.1 Pro, 64 Bit

System specs:
CPU: intel i5-4590
MOBO: ASRock H97M PRO
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 970
Memory: 16GB DDR3
PSU: Corsair CS450M
HD: 1TB HD Samsung, 1TB HD Western Digital Blue, 1 250GB SSD, Crucial M500

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes/No

The motherboard is an ASRock H97M PRO4, if that makes any difference.

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING
We need the full specs, so please read the sticky and reformat the post, thanks.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Fruit Smoothies posted:

We need the full specs, so please read the sticky and reformat the post, thanks.

ok, done

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
That sounds like a power issue to me. A 450W power supply is very under-sized for that system, and lower-end modular power supplies have a lot of corners cut (in order to hit the same price point as non-modular units).

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Is there any way to test that? Not that I don't believe you, but a new PSU is probably pushing the limits of my budget these days :s

Also, if I do get a new PSU, what should I get? Or rather: how much power do I need?

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

I really wish I had some way to test this because on the one hand the pattern of shutdowns feels like power failure, but the way that I need to turn off the entire computer and let it cool down (otherwise it goes into a whole cylce of auto-reboots because it hasn't cooled off enough yet) feels like a temperature problem. If it was a straightforward power overload the system should be perfectly fine because after one reboot, because the problem (high GPU/CPU demand from video games) would've gone away, right?

Alternately, maybe I have a fan failure in the PSU?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Jinnigan posted:

Is there any way to test that? Not that I don't believe you, but a new PSU is probably pushing the limits of my budget these days :s

Only trying another PSU in that machine or trying that PSU in an older machine.

Jinnigan posted:

Also, if I do get a new PSU, what should I get? Or rather: how much power do I need?

There are some suggestions here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3671266#post436114948

Jinnigan posted:

...feels like a temperature problem.

Check CPU temperature using http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

Jinnigan posted:

If it was a straightforward power overload the system should be perfectly fine because after one reboot, because the problem (high GPU/CPU demand from video games) would've gone away, right?

A PSU can fail in a variety of ways. It could work intermittently and sporadically irrespective of high power demand.

Jinnigan posted:

Alternately, maybe I have a fan failure in the PSU?

Not likely.

• Locked thread