Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Aesop Poprock posted:

When I watched Stone Cold drop HHH from a crane while he was supposedly still in the car I thought HHH was actually in there and possibly dead. I remember my middle aged neighbor who i'd watch PPVs with (they got them for free) laughing and I thought he was a psycho and I went home traumatized by the whole thing. I was probably like 13

Didn't he come out the next night on Raw only slightly bandaged because HHH?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Ah, I have a gem for this thread.

I was...10, maybe? A relatively new fan at a private school, and some older students told me the Natural Disasters had attacked Hogan and destroyed his legs so badly they had to be amputated. They shot down my every attempt at rationalization, including that he could wear fake legs. I think I spent that whole night in despair.

They tried some tricks later in that vein, but I never fell for them like I fell for that 'Hogan now has no legs' lie.

Mayostard
Apr 21, 2007

In the Chamber of Understanding
I thought Undertaker really buried Kamala after their Casket Match.

More recently, as in 2008, I thought John Morrison would become a big star one day.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Mayostard posted:

I thought Undertaker really buried Kamala after their Casket Match.

More recently, as in 2008, I thought John Morrison would become a big star one day.

Well, now he is, in Lucha Underground.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

I Before E posted:

Well, now he is, in Lucha Underground.

He said a big star.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
He's a movie star!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVH9ULo4mzQ

To contribute, I thought Ricky Steamboat was a true master of the martial arts. He would chop and say HIYAA~! and everything.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

sticklefifer posted:

Didn't he come out the next night on Raw only slightly bandaged because HHH?

Yeah and I remember being relieved but also realizing I was dumb

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Defiance Industries posted:

When I heard those "ultimate warrior died" rumors, another kid convinced me that he wasn't dead, he just quit. Not for the real reasons but because the Macho Man sexually assaulted him, which the kid described as "using your boner as a weapon in a fight."

This is the funniest post I have ever read

Also, at my school, the WWF was fake, but WCW was real, thats why guys would go between the two companies, to rest up

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
When I heard about Owen I was so sure that it meant wrestling was real (I was 9 at the time) because I misheard the story and thought he died during a match

CoolCat
Jun 29, 2015

That Nailz really beat the poo poo out of the Big Boss Man

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

He said a big star.

He's the biggest star in Lucha Underground, that's gotta count for something.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Aesop Poprock posted:

When I watched Stone Cold drop HHH from a crane while he was supposedly still in the car I thought HHH was actually in there and possibly dead. I remember my middle aged neighbor who i'd watch PPVs with (they got them for free) laughing and I thought he was a psycho and I went home traumatized by the whole thing. I was probably like 13

I was similarly traumatized by Hollywood Hogan trying to set Warrior on fire at Halloween Havoc. I didn't even see it because we I never got PPVs, but a friend told me about it and I remember thinking Hogan should be arrested.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I Before E posted:

He's the biggest star in Lucha Underground, that's gotta count for something.

LU's fantastic and everyone should watch it but sadly few do and it's hard to argue that being their #2 heel makes you a big star.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
The first time I remember seeing a piledriver was when Paul Orndorff turned on Hogan and used one on him. They put Hulk in a neckbrace and stretchered him out and everything. I really thought the bad guy broke The Hulkster's neck.

Then they had that cage match on SNME with the video replay to determine who hit the floor first, and I hated Bobby The Brain Heenan for insisting Orndorff landed first. Clearly the video showed Hulk landing first, you lying bad guy! :argh:

Wrestling is objectively the best when you're 8.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I believed that SMW closed because WING Kanemura sued the company after Kevin Sullivan ended his career there with his spike.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I thought the Ric Flair heart attack angle in WCW was real, and he really had a heart attack in ring.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I thought Hogan killed the Giant at Halloween Havoc 95(?) after the monster truck match when he threw him off the building. I about poo poo my pants when he returned later in that show.

Genericide
Jan 20, 2004

CoolCat posted:

That Nailz really beat the poo poo out of the Big Boss Man

My friend said it was good make up and I didn't know what to think.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

I once thought Scott Keith was a credible source of wrestling news.

I also hated wrestlers who wore trunks when I was a kid. It was long tights or you hosed off back to Palookaville from whence you came.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

That Adam Bomb's backstory was real

JorahTheExplorer
Oct 23, 2013

You aren't my Alves, Afonso Alves,
you make me sa-aad when sky's are blue,
and Georgie Best, cost fucking less,
so please take my Alves away.

CombineThresher posted:

I also hated wrestlers who wore trunks when I was a kid. It was long tights or you hosed off back to Palookaville from whence you came.

but this is right.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Genericide posted:

My friend said it was good make up and I didn't know what to think.

It's probably a bit of both. Nailz most likely stiffed the gently caress out of Traylor, considering he was very careless in the ring and once choked out Vince McMahon in his own office.

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
when I started watching WWE after 10+ year absence since the Attitude Era I thought that John Cena might be able to work a decent match. The first thing I saw of him was AJ Lee and Vicki fighting and Dolph vs Cena for Dolph's MITB in a ladder match (this is the PPV that the Shield and 3MB both debut!!!). I thought Cena could work a fine WWE big man match, but then went from loosing a chance at money in the bank to steamrolling the Royal Rumble and taking a WM mainevent from CM Punk. Let us just say, there was like a 2-3 week window in 2012 that I could see big things from that kid John Cena until Vince just strapped a rocket on Cena and the Rock for WM. Now I do not care for the Rock on WWE TV or Jhon Cena

aslo in 2012 I was actually surprsied that the Big Show and Kane held titles and Mark Henry was still getting a push

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Blast Fantasto posted:

I thought the Ric Flair heart attack angle in WCW was real, and he really had a heart attack in ring.
To be fair, everyone did. I recall reports of phone calls to his house and/or the hospital, and I think a common story at the time was that it was real and that they used it for the Bischoff feud.

CombineThresher posted:

I once thought Scott Keith was a credible source of wrestling news.
Hey fellow old-timer! :hfive: It's hilarious to look back on the days of Keith, Eric S., Hyatte, Scotsman, and CRZ. We were all such... well, marks.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

That when Dibiase stuffed dollar bills down jobbers throats that they were really choking on them. Also that random women had no problem making out with Ravishing Rick Rude.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

TUS posted:

Also that random women had no problem making out with Ravishing Rick Rude.

No, that part was probably right.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Dario the Wop posted:

Hey fellow old-timer! :hfive: It's hilarious to look back on the days of Keith, Eric S., Hyatte, Scotsman, and CRZ. We were all such... well, marks.

Oh man, those were the days, huh? Hyatte may have been the worst writer and least funny Internet personality of all time (who actually stalked Scott Keith at one point and wrote columns about it), and Eric S. was basically one of those crazy guys who shows up to open mics and rants until he's forced offstage.

Back on topic, I thought the WWE writer's room had to be the happiest workplace ever because of how ridiculous the Attitude Era was. I pictured a bunch of dudes sitting around a big conference table and pitching increasingly stupid ideas at each other and just laughing their heads off with Vince. Hearing about their actual work environment was like listening to the Rime of the Ancient Mariner.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
For old Internet stuff, when I first got the Internet back in 1998 I really didn't "get" the Internet at first. I found sites like Wrestlezone and prowrestling.com, and thought that these were legitimate companies that had paid reporters delivering scoops, and each website had a corporate headquarters. I smartened up to this pretty quickly, but still, I feel like an idiot for admitting this.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
As you'll learn from reading the ROH thread I thought Dalton Castle was a heel and the booking of Silas against him was deeply troubling and problematic as a result

jred250
Sep 7, 2003
F Zero Novice

Ribsauce posted:

I've talked about this before here, but when Undertaker first came out he would Tombstone a jobber every week on Saturday morning TV and then put them in a bodybag. I really thought he killed a guy every week and wanted to know why it was legal. My dad protected business by telling me "When guys step into the ring laws like that don't apply." I guess when you're 9 this makes sense.

Your dad legit owns for protecting the business.

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

CombineThresher posted:

and Eric S. was basically one of those crazy guys who shows up to open mics and rants until he's forced offstage.

Eric S and his loving drat Vaninator, I swear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

21 Hoot Salute posted:

Eric S and his loving drat Vaninator, I swear

I emailed him for klonopin advice once, and his reply was actually very helpful. Good guy.

• Locked thread