Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Overcast went free (as in no ads, no price) a few days ago, seems pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swarthy_Foreskin
Apr 17, 2003

You want to put a knife in me. Look me in the eyes. See what's going on in there while you turn it.
Nap Ghost

Pryor on Fire posted:

Overcast went free (as in no ads, no price) a few days ago, seems pretty good.

It does have an optional subscription option for those who still want to directly support the author.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools
I've used Pocket Casts for years but grabbed Overcast to check out when it went free and one thing really bugs me: is there really no way to just get a notification of a new episode of a particular podcast being available without automatically downloading it? There are are very, very few podcasts I listen to every single episode of, I mostly just grab them when the subject or guest is interesting, so downloading every single episode of everything is kind of a waste of time and bandwidth for me. I'm interested in trying out Overcast, but if I can't just manually grab stuff then it isn't really worth the hassle for me.

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one

theradiostillsucks posted:

is there really no way to just get a notification of a new episode of a particular podcast being available without automatically downloading it?

Maybe try setting "New Episodes" to "Stream when played"?

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

BeyondPod is the poo poo, bought it a few years ago and have used it nearly daily ever since. The Episode Sync feature is pretty cool too, it keeps track of where you are in all your podcasts and you can push that to your other devices.

The only feature I wish it had is some kind of computer/desktop application or website where you could access that stuff and manage your podcasts, but that's not really something I desperately need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I love the variable speed settings in PocketCasts - I use 2x speed on The Instance and The History of Rome. I use 1.5x speed on most of my other history based podcasts. I like that I can set it to be podcast specific, because on podcasts that revolve around storytelling (Lore, Mortified, etc) I can turn it off to not lose the intended delivery. I don't listen to Hardcore History because I can't be assed to listen to the exact same episode for 3-4 hours at a time, even when doing mindless tasks. My brain jumps far too much for that.

• Locked thread