Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
basement jihadist
Oct 3, 2002

Jastiger posted:

At least with plastic you have some recourse. Oh no dropped your wallet or misplaced a check? gently caress you pay me now.

Oh yeah lemme just literally call in my bills. While your punk rear end takes the bus and hopes there isn't a line. Lol.

It literally costs money to not have a bank account in today's world, more than it does to have one.

hey man.. i know you're adamant about this but... you can have both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

basement jihadist
Oct 3, 2002

also what the gently caress are you saying in that post besides the last line

basement jihadist
Oct 3, 2002

like do you not realize a debit card is an ACH transaction (essentially, treated as a check, it can bounce, etc.)

and credit is an agreement where the creditor pays the merchant and then you have to turn around and pay them back, sometimes with interest, so you aren't handing anything over to the merchant, VISA is

then visa comes to you to repay a debt to them

so when a person makes a fraudulent transaction they are defrauding VISA because they are taking their money.... that's visa's problem

basement jihadist fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Aug 3, 2015

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Just want everybody to know that the town of Bumfuck is in eastern Kentucky.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

triple sulk posted:

credit cards are cool and good. post the best credit cards you got

2% no-limit cash back amex :whatup:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

basement jihadist posted:

also what the gently caress are you saying in that post besides the last line

I'm saying people that refuse to get debit or credit or even checking accounts are intentionally hamstring ing themselves in today's modern market. They can't pay remotely, they rely on business hours, and there are far more things that can gently caress up a cash drop than a plastic card swipe.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
can't snort a line with a card

you can't chop a line with a bill either though

basement jihadist
Oct 3, 2002

Jastiger posted:

I'm saying people that refuse to get debit or credit or even checking accounts are intentionally hamstring ing themselves in today's modern market. They can't pay remotely, they rely on business hours, and there are far more things that can gently caress up a cash drop than a plastic card swipe.

oh yeah they would be dumb people. wow i thought you were saying debit cards/checking could do these things but CCs somehow lacked the ability for you to "pay remotely, they rely on business hours"

also it's very funny when u get mugged and hand over your wallet and theres no cash in that fucker lol im just gonna cancel the cards dummy better run home to buy some poo poo on amazon quick

basement jihadist
Oct 3, 2002

if they checked first before running off id pee a little tho

Clemocracy
Jul 21, 2015

by Ralp

triple sulk posted:

credit cards are cool and good. post the best credit cards you got

The basic Bank of America one is pretty sweet. 1-3% off on everything plus 10% extra if you put it in your BOA savings/checking account. They also have monthly deals where if you shop at tires plus, home depot, or wherever it changes, you can get 5-10% back.

I also got a Chase Amazon card. 150$ amazon gift card and 3% off amazon stuff (1% everything else).

All of this free and builds credit as I just pay it off every month. Plus they automatically take your side on any chargebacks. I have a debit card for emergencies but I only use it to pay rent.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

Amarcarts posted:

Just want everybody to know that the town of Bumfuck is in eastern Kentucky.

finally this thread has value

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

oh yeah they would be dumb people. wow i thought you were saying debit cards/checking could do these things but CCs somehow lacked the ability for you to "pay remotely, they rely on business hours"

also it's very funny when u get mugged and hand over your wallet and theres no cash in that fucker lol im just gonna cancel the cards dummy better run home to buy some poo poo on amazon quick

The other thread made me come back to this one and I got mad all over again.

But you're right. Should have put this in OP. If you're mugged, plastic protects you. Should probably put "In Debit/Credit we trust (fees may apply) on our money.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Jastiger posted:

Kill yourself. Today Jastiger is declaring Fatwa's on those that don't have debit cards or only use cash.

Its 2015, and these things are literally FREE. You don't need a bank account, you don't need a credit card, you don't even need to leave the freakin' house. Its like the height of laziness and irresponsibility to refuse to participate in our economy and expect the red carpet from folk.

Aaaaaaand another thing. What the hell is it with people with absolutely no credit history, no insurance history, and tons of stuff in collections or whatever and then believing Obama or the NSA or whoever is coming for their info.

Yeah, Obama and Eric Holder wants to come and take over your trailer in Bumfuck, Kentucky, better not let anyone get your birthday EVER. But yeah, you just posted your entire work life on facebook and continuously google how to file registration numbers off of guns. But no, you've got one over on the government hiding our poo poo.

I grow weary of dealing with people that are just ridiculously obtuse, paranoid, and all around huge pain in my rear end. If you don't have a debit card and you're posting on the forums, you need to have an unplanned rapid dis-assembly right now.

Retail employee spotted

The_Book_Of_Harry
Apr 30, 2013

During periods of active addiction, I avoided using the bank so I could ignore how much I was spending on dumb poo poo.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Clemocracy posted:

The basic Bank of America one is pretty sweet. 1-3% off on everything plus 10% extra if you put it in your BOA savings/checking account. They also have monthly deals where if you shop at tires plus, home depot, or wherever it changes, you can get 5-10% back.

I also got a Chase Amazon card. 150$ amazon gift card and 3% off amazon stuff (1% everything else).

All of this free and builds credit as I just pay it off every month. Plus they automatically take your side on any chargebacks. I have a debit card for emergencies but I only use it to pay rent.

Yup. Got a b of a cc rewards card this summer, and now i feel ridiculous that i didnt do it sooner. No fees, 20,000 free miles,'and i just make sure to transfer money from my checking account to pay my cc and budget correctly. Ive already earned over $300 worth of travel expenses.

Debit cards are dumb, outdated technology. Like Iowa levels of outdated.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

like do you not realize a debit card is an ACH transaction (essentially, treated as a check, it can bounce, etc.)

and credit is an agreement where the creditor pays the merchant and then you have to turn around and pay them back, sometimes with interest, so you aren't handing anything over to the merchant, VISA is

then visa comes to you to repay a debt to them

so when a person makes a fraudulent transaction they are defrauding VISA because they are taking their money.... that's visa's problem

Yes for the love of god don't use a check card for purchases especially online ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
my drug dealer doesnt really take card op. but hes cool with paypal or bitcoins too I guess

• Locked thread