Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
We carry a harpoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

FoolyCharged posted:

The big problem with coaster games not rewarding themed lands and the like is that scenery is almost always expensive as hell and it's not feasible to full on decorate everything outside of a sandbox mode.
Scenery being absurdly expensive compared to coasters is realistic and also the reason why it's so rare to have an entire real life park covered in it like Disney or Universal(Comcast) do.

Let's take two coasters that are mechanically similar, about a kilometer and a half of Intamin track built in the same general area with a few bits and bobs like launches thrown in:

-Cheetah Hunt at Busch Gardens Tampa
-Hagrid's at Universal Orlando

Hagrid's is slightly longer and has more moving parts in the form of addition launches, a drop track and a switch track. Cheetah hunt has supports twice as tall, a top speed about half again as fast and the beefier watercooled launch motors that do the VROOOMMMM sound to go with it. This makes them about equal in terms of ride tech costs, leaving scenery as the main difference.

Hagrid's is fifteen times more expensive than Cheetah Hunt. $20.000.000 vs $300.000.000. For a more in-depth realistic management sim, making a park that's all theming all the time would be the ultimate endgame challenge, not the bulk of the game.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Asehujiko posted:

Scenery being absurdly expensive compared to coasters is realistic and also the reason why it's so rare to have an entire real life park covered in it like Disney or Universal(Comcast) do.

Let's take two coasters that are mechanically similar, about a kilometer and a half of Intamin track built in the same general area with a few bits and bobs like launches thrown in:

-Cheetah Hunt at Busch Gardens Tampa
-Hagrid's at Universal Orlando

Hagrid's is slightly longer and has more moving parts in the form of addition launches, a drop track and a switch track. Cheetah hunt has supports twice as tall, a top speed about half again as fast and the beefier watercooled launch motors that do the VROOOMMMM sound to go with it. This makes them about equal in terms of ride tech costs, leaving scenery as the main difference.

Hagrid's is fifteen times more expensive than Cheetah Hunt. $20.000.000 vs $300.000.000. For a more in-depth realistic management sim, making a park that's all theming all the time would be the ultimate endgame challenge, not the bulk of the game.

If these games were truly focused on a hard core simulation the rides I built as a kid would have gotten immediately shut down for killing people through their comical g forces. And my park immediately closed down as I got sued into oblivion in response. And I wouldn't be building a new ride every month. There is already a ton of abstraction and making scenery cheap enough to actually justify use in scenario play is a requirement to actually having scenarios with the kind of theming focus that person wanted in a game.

The other big driving factor in these games focusing on six flags parking lot coasters is the scenario design. The scenarios can generally be summed up as a collection of maps that are either a) a big piece of environment like docks, a cliff, a mesa, a desert, islands, or the like or b) a singular themed park where the park is predisposed to a theme like the spooky park, the space park, the Mayan park, and so on. I can't think of any that come with any kind of themed sections layout. Maybe some of the real world park ones in rct2? And there are very few, if any scenarios that have theming as an objective to clear them. I think there might have been one in parkitect?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

But yes, there's a reason in real life that only companies that already have comical money pits can afford to super theme their theme parks and not just have some themed facades for the shops and things and call it a day.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Where's my Sim Carnival where I manage a touring small carnival and pay carnies in candied apples and oversized stuffed bears to let people ride hastily-assembled rides and janky coasters that have copyright-infringing disney and marvel paintjobs on em.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jul 1, 2023

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Parkitect at least attempt to do some of that. Hiding services, queue theming (but anything worked), but ultimately it was still just iterated on RCT.

Yeah at least instead of stuffing a horrible monster pipe organ under ground with a single lamp visible so my ride stats are not poo poo, in Parkitect decoration was (usually) less obsessive with decoration spam, and even light work was always worth it so your scrambler still worked in the rain, or "I love these little shrubs, I can't see people puking the second they get off the Corkscrewmageddon." Usually the worst part of vertical LoS was how people get mad seeing the loading dock, outside of your build area, unless I made a boring big vertical wall stapled to chain link fence :argh:

:words: About why I think nobody has the nerve to make a theme park game with ride operator stats, even if they liked the idea. Which is why I burnt out on Planet Coaster and don't want to go back, but still intend to finish Parkitect and the DLC one of these days.

Because it would be a hell of a lot of work to actually polish staff logic enough to keep everything from imploding before a refund window, instead of shrug "Close enough, true fans will complain the challenge levels are too easy if you bug report 100+ people always warping off the ride as a horrifying meat cube, that goes out of bounds and blocks your sidewalks every time the big Ferris wheel ends."

Planet Coaster could get exhausting if you were not in it to piece together amazingly pretty parks, and noticed more cracks in the mechanics.

You know how some people talk poo poo about "Oh so easy you just adjust some sliders" in the genre? Well in my case I started raking in more money by rotating pre-placed flat rides or moving the exits. So that customers refusing to walk past the operator booth only walked around half the ride boarding and exiting, instead of running out any reasonable board/exit timers trying to circle around the entire way. Slider bars were nothing compared to that. I went back a year after launch reporting that bug and getting a "Good catch! We will fix that right away" response and it was still there.

Even with the issues Parkitect can have with employee logic, where the big reason I got max rank sometimes was by sealing off the underground employee tunnel networks ASAP. That is still better than Planet Coaster where after you train a hotdog stand worker once when they threaten to quit from the stress of being undertrained, they immediately quit crying they are overqualified and bored.

"In this game, staff training will never make them worse at their job" sounds like such a low bar, and yet...

EDIT: Wait, Planet Coaster was the one that launched out of beta without the ability to open and close rides from the ride menu, right? I want to believe my mind made that up.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 1, 2023

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rewarding consistent theming would require not only explicitly theming scenery with tags, but allowing players to mix in different elements, like not penalizing a dragon in a sci-fi land, as well as potentially accommodating custom themes your pre-built scenery doesn't have tags for.

Like, my biggest park in Planet Coaster was going to have several themed lands. First was a kid- friendly Candyland, which had some themed bits available but I wound up making custom scenery from basic shapes for most of it. Then there was the steampunk Victorian London land, which had barely anything that wasn't a custom conglomeration. Like, you got off the monorail into an airship docking platform, and above you was a boat with balloons made of basic shapes, and then you stepped out into narrow winding streets lined with fog-emitting streetlamps. And maybe you could say that the game would support theming that as a pirate land thanks to the boat, but it's a crappy pirate land because there's not much else from the theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
Anyone know of or have a favourite repository for OpenRCT compatible pre-built rides? I suck majorly at building coasters and don't find it very fun but building parks is something I've enjoyed doing since drawing them on big pieces of cardboard when I was a wee one.