Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Gatekeeper posted:

i only read the book recently, it was a good story. maybe i wouldn't have liked the movie if i had read the book first. but i think the movie is a lot of fun. very strange things happen and a lot of these things don't really make sense, like they just happen and then something else just happens and you don't know why any of the things are happening. patrick stewart goes into battle with a pug in his arms. why? because david lynch. david lynch is i think autistic and has issues with confidence and being a man, like a strong man, a schwarzenegger or a baio. this colors much of his work and dune is no exception. the actual book is really cool especially for its genre which can be kind of dumb and childish sometimes, but it manages to tell a great and complex story that just happens to be in space instead of a great space story (two very different things). that dune miniseries was also pretty cool i think, it definitely told a more coherent story and was pretty faithful to the book. but it lacked the ridiculous spectacle and unnerving "what the gently caress" style of lynch's dune.

even though its not at all the kind of story lynch would do on his own, the film is unmistakably his. the weird way people talk, the bizarre and often sexual set dressings (like how every set feels like a place where one might gently caress someone they don't know very well) and in particular the weird behavior of the red baron, lynch just takes already strange concepts and tries to express them in the way he feels comfortable expressing things which is always like a bad fever dream where someone keeps stealing your penis and a mother/wife figure is disappointed in you. thats how you end up with so many pugs in this movie. bene gesserits are now bald psychic space nuns. mentats have crazy larry hagman eyebrows. weirding modules are basically how the fremen win and i'm pretty sure lynch kinda made them up too. that one guy has to milk a cat? the red baron is an oozy, lesion-covered creepster who puts heart plugs in tender young boys so he can kill them when he wants to relieve his sexual frustration. so many strange things piled onto a movie that already bombards you with words like kwisatz haderach and sardaukar and bene gesserit and gom jabbar like five minutes into the movie. you're trying to comprehend all sorts of already weird stuff and lynch just makes it even harder with more weird and often scary things.

dune is great because of the complexities of the interactions between the houses, and the cool ruminations on religion and ecology and stuff, and if you like david lynch's way of looking at the world, he definitely does a cool job of showing these concepts in a lynchy way. the miniseries was more restrained and showed these concepts in a very straightforward way, but i think it was kind of boring, not as much fun as reading them and definitely not as wild to behold as lynch's translations of these concepts. on top of that, he made everything look so cool. all the miniature work was really good. the spaceships were very cool. the sandworms were amazing. sometimes i draw pictures of the sandworms with pug faces because theyre so iconic. the navigator thing was very cool and gross to look at. the dream sequences with moons and fetuses and drops of water were really cool. even the poo poo he kind of made up like the big eyebrows and the bald heads and the philadelphia look of the baron's planet, great stuff all of it. the only dumb thing i think was the sardaukar uniforms, they looked like bad star trek things. the end was i guess fitting for the story lynch told but probably shouldn't have happened like that (agent cooper makes it start raining iirc). all in all i love this movie and you're probably not a fun person to smoke pot with if you don't like it too

I've been doing life all wrong!

Anyways, thanks. Nice post. I like Herbert and I like Lynch. I wonder why mixing the two is such a stretch for me. The faux-Prometheus thread was worth it for a post about Dune.

As you said, the miniseries was alright, but it never really felt adventurous, which is also what I felt about the LotR movies. After they had come and gone I found my appreciation for the stories had really diminished, but I couldn't really say why exactly. I'm sure that someone will give Dune another crack, but maybe it's better off as one of those stories people attempt and fail at over and over (Jodorowsky comes to mind). Maybe the failures and alternate interpretations are truer to the weird experience of the original source material than someone actually translating the book verbatim.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jul 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
lynch trying and failing was definitely more fun than the miniseries trying and succeeding imho

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Selected Cinema Discusso threads listed by subject and length:

Akira Kurosawa: No active thread
Abel Gance's Napoleon: 5 replies
Orson Welles: 31 replies
Werner Herzog: 122 replies
Fast & Furious 7: 540 replies
Kevin Smith: 1106 replies
Comic Book Movie Megathread: 24339 replies

lmfao

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I agree

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Really, Prometheus is a film and not a movie. Movie isn't classy enough.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

(performs back-alley abortion of squid monster)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

oldpainless posted:

Really, Prometheus is a film and not a movie. Movie isn't classy enough.

I know the difference, but I'm not telling you.:newlol:

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Gatekeeper posted:

is that not tom hardy? i thought perhaps they left his name off the credits as a surprise like gary oldman in hannibal. i knew the voice was a little off. mad max fury road was extremely good and also beautiful to look at but in a very different way - sand and slick black sex organs are opposite

Mad Max: Furious Rod is the Prometheus of 2015, in that it is the best movie of the year, and possibley all time?!

I liked your read-through, good job!

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

Black Bones posted:

Mad Max: Furious Rod is the Prometheus of 2015, in that it is the best movie of the year, and possibley all time?!

I liked your read-through, good job!

i don't want to seem argumentative because you are an eloquent person with well expressed feelings and observations on prometheus (you use good words in good ways) and i have enjoyed reading the juices of your brainfruits but i believe mad max: fury rd. to be a superior film. i first watched it about a week ago and i was very impressed. it was like watching rick moranis successfully unshrink his kids, earning the respect of his neighbors and finally appearing desirable to his wife. right off the bat i felt like i'd been kicked in the ferraro rochers and this feeling stayed with me to the end. max's capture and escape attempt were thrilling and were a very organic way of showing the audience the state of this futureworld without forcing it through dumb exposition. this is a terrible future, filled with boys who want to be skeletons sooo bad, and ladies who are fattened up and milked like cats in lynch's dune. immortan joe made my butt clench into a fist, he seemed so gross and scary. not lame-o horror movie scary, but real life scary, like forum poster enfield's irl face. the big crazy vehicles were also kind of scary because you just knew anyone who put them together like a vehicular frankenstein was surely someone who could intimidate you into doing weird disgusting things and you'd do them without question, only with tears and probably a little throwup. charlize theron was scary too, even the hero max seemed like a terrifying sort of bloke who had long ago shat out his sanity like so much white castle. but at no point did i even question any of this terror. they hit me with a lot of poo poo at once but they very successfully immersed me in this terrorfuture so that i only cared about what happened next. explanations could gently caress right off.

the action that started with max's attempt to escape the skeleton niños never really let up. before i could unrecoil from the shock of joe's digs and his grody underlings and subjects, we were off to fury rd. to catch that wily theron and joe's rape harem. i questioned nothing, not max's role as a bloodbag, not the huge mobile marshall stacks complete with a flame throwing slipknot guitarist, everything was easily swallowed. with prometheus i kept thinking "tell me more about the old wrinkly dobby. tell me more about this cool space ship. for fucks sake spend the next hour telling me everything about the handsome robot, please!!!" but with mad max all i thought was "tell me whatever you want, i trust you completely. thank you for allowing me to watch this magical story." perhaps it was the breakneck speed, but all i had time to do was absorb every awesome scene before i was suckerpunched by the next, instead of thinking about stuff like i did during prometheus. this is not to say that mad max was thoughtless like a bay joint, there was much to consider once the film ended. but while you watched you were entirely captivated. prometheus was gorgeous but not captivating, save the coolest scenes.

it was thrilling to watch these ladies shake off their stockholms and forcibly take back their own selves from a grody monster. even the more quiet scenes, like that stuck in the mud scene, had me gnawing my fingertips like a retarded zombie. and as more cool ladies joined the fight for freedom from joe and his shitbags, and max fought this terrible world to win back custody of his humanity, it was difficult not to feel the rumblings of eye-drips welling up in your sockets. the success of these characters was truly earned, and it felt like a privilege to witness their victory, compared to the blooper reel feeling of prometheus where everyone fails even when they've technically succeeded. when prometheus ended, i felt hungry and tired. when mad max ended, i felt like doing expensive drugs and hitting my boss in the head and breadbasket with something big, heavy, and phallic. this, ultimately, is the difference between these two mighty fuckin films.

Gatekeeper fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 1, 2015

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Gatekeeper posted:

i don't want to seem argumentative because you are an eloquent person with well expressed feelings and observations on prometheus (you use good words in good ways) and i have enjoyed reading the juices of your brainfruits but i believe mad max: fury rd. to be a superior film. i first watched it about a week ago and i was very impressed. it was like watching rick moranis successfully unshrink his kids, earning the respect of his neighbors and finally appearing desirable to his wife. right off the bat i felt like i'd been kicked in the ferraro rochers and this feeling stayed with me to the end. max's capture and escape attempt were thrilling and were a very organic way of showing the audience the state of this futureworld without forcing it through dumb exposition. this is a terrible future, filled with boys who want to be skeletons sooo bad, and ladies who are fattened up and milked like cats in lynch's dune. immortan joe made my butt clench into a fist, he seemed so gross and scary. not lame-o horror movie scary, but real life scary, like forum poster enfield's irl face. the big crazy vehicles were also kind of scary because you just knew anyone who put them together like a vehicular frankenstein was surely someone who could intimidate you into doing weird disgusting things and you'd do them without question, only with tears and probably a little throwup. charlize theron was scary too, even the hero max seemed like a terrifying sort of bloke who had long ago shat out his sanity like so much white castle. but at no point did i even question any of this terror. they hit me with a lot of poo poo at once but they very successfully immersed me in this terrorfuture so that i only cared about what happened next. explanations could gently caress right off.

the action that started with max's attempt to escape the skeleton niños never really let up. before i could unrecoil from the shock of joe's digs and his grody underlings and subjects, we were off to fury rd. to catch that wily theron and joe's rape harem. i questioned nothing, not max's role as a bloodbag, not the huge mobile marshall stacks complete with a flame throwing slipknot guitarist, everything was easily swallowed. with prometheus i kept thinking "tell me more about the old wrinkly dobby. tell me more about this cool space ship. for fucks sake spend the next hour telling me everything about the handsome robot, please!!!" but with mad max all i thought was "tell me whatever you want, i trust you completely. thank you for allowing me to watch this magical story." perhaps it was the breakneck speed, but all i had time to do was absorb every awesome scene before i was suckerpunched by the next, instead of thinking about stuff like i did during prometheus. this is not to say that mad max was thoughtless like a bay joint, there was much to consider once the film ended. but while you watched you were entirely captivated. prometheus was gorgeous but not captivating, save the coolest scenes.

it was thrilling to watch these ladies shake off their stockholms and forcibly take back their own selves from a grody monster. even the more quiet scenes, like that stuck in the mud scene, had me gnawing my fingertips like a retarded zombie. and as more cool ladies joined the fight for freedom from joe and his shitbags, and max fought this terrible world to win back custody of his humanity, it was difficult not to feel the rumblings of eye-drips welling up in your sockets. the success of these characters was truly earned, and it felt like a privilege to witness their victory, compared to the blooper reel feeling of prometheus where everyone fails even when they've technically succeeded. when prometheus ended, i felt hungry and tired. when mad max ended, i felt like doing expensive drugs and hitting my boss in the head and breadbasket with something big, heavy, and phallic. this, ultimately, is the difference between these two mighty fuckin films.

you, it is you who is the best poster

naem
May 29, 2011

stabbing

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

as a willennial (someone who owned the album willennium) i find that pop culture is a good way to relate to other people because i don't always understand people or their motivations and actions. media, especially film, is a good common ground. Although we may disagree on prometheus, the fact that we're having a dialogue at all shows that the movie accomplished an important thing, giving us common ground upon which we may meet and get to know each other. i go to bars to drink beer and mixed drinks/cocktails and i talk to drunkards and pretty girls but we talk about bar topics like good whiskies and juke box songs and they only tell you so much about a person. but when someone tells me how they feel about squid babies and Large men and boy skeletors and pugs/sandworms i think it is a window into their psyche's psyche. it tells me much, and gives me a good way to tell them a lil bit about ol' gatekeeper too. prometheus gave me new friends. how could it be a failure?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Same

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Scott should be commissioned to make a series of Dune movies, simply to see if he would be a better visual director than Lynch (my guess it that he could, but not without a decent budget)

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

i have no doubt that ridley scott could make a very gorgeous film that accurately captured the fantastical settings of dune, making them look and feel very real. but i'm also sure that it wouldn't be nearly as bizarre and alien and viscerally moving as the same settings filtered through lynch's psyche. much of the criticism towards his adaptation is valid, but you can't knock those ungodly visuals.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
y'all still talkin bout this one?

ps: lynch is old, bad and can't even handle bringing back twin peaks, a show that can write and direct itself.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

lmao yeah im definitely gonna lose sleep tonight worrying about whether or not lynch isn't cool as gently caress

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
lynch was cool as gently caress

but people get old

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

jerkstoresup posted:

but people get old

The man is right. Retire Scott and Lynch. Bring on McG.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Lynch is still cool even if his present work isn't

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
Rumor has it today that Prometheus II begins filming in January

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Lynch is still cool even if his present work isn't

was inland empire his last film (aside from all his weird short thingies)? that was a very strange movie but i got to watch it in a theater by myself and it was the most fun i've ever had being extremely confused.

he made two albums too that are pretty hilarious, david lynch singing things is very good.

he is definitely old and more autistic and confusing than ever but he's still a cool guy and i like him.

Immortan posted:

Rumor has it today that Prometheus II begins filming in January

wow, i thought production was well under way for prometheus 2, i didn't know it hadn't started yet. i'm really looking forward to it, it's gonna be like blowjobs for my eyeballs

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Is scott directing? Cuz that bitch is like 80 years old.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Moon Atari posted:

A lot of what Ridley Scott came out and said around time of release suggests he might actually genuinely believe in the ancient aliens birthed mankind theory, and sees Prometheus as some grand act of theology and that the problems with Prometheus stem from them deciding at a late stage of production that this message was just too profound for one film so they would have to chop a bunch of stuff out to save for the sequel.

Frankenstyle posted:

Yup. Scott went to the studio pitching an ancient aliens movie because the dumb bastard just discovered Von Daniken, and the studio said "gently caress no". So then he went back and said "How bout and Alien prequel" and they gave him a bunch of money. Then he did a lovely job slipping the ancient astronaut movie he actually wanted to make in the backdoor of the alien movie he didn't want to make. Which is why Prometheus is a confused patchwork mess.

From a film nerd friend of mine:

That's completely not true. First of all the script was written by someone else. It's online and you can read the original script and it a similar movie to what was made just a lot better. The studio wanted Damon lindeloff to come in and revise the script and he added a lot of the stuff that people consider stupid in the script and also he and the studio introduced most of the sequel type stuff because they wanted a franchise.

When the movie tanked and Ridley and Damon got into it over who ruined the movie lindeloff left, and took with him all his ideas for sequels and Ridley publicly said he hosed us.

Further Ridley had reached a point in his career where if he wanted to make an alien ancestor type movie they would have let him. All anyone wants is his commitment to make the blade runner sequel anyway.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Gatekeeper posted:

i have no doubt that ridley scott could make a very gorgeous film that accurately captured the fantastical settings of dune, making them look and feel very real. but i'm also sure that it wouldn't be nearly as bizarre and alien and viscerally moving as the same settings filtered through lynch's psyche. much of the criticism towards his adaptation is valid, but you can't knock those ungodly visuals.
I don't think Scott would have issues with viceral imagery, and he would probably avoid blunders such as depicting the Sardaukar legions in garbage man suits.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

jerkstoresup posted:

but people get old

The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Maldoror posted:

The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts.

"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

in the movie prometheus....
page 1 0f 400

• Locked thread