Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

etalian posted:

they owned the Khmer Rouge as well.

They whipped their asses in like less than a month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Prof. Lurker posted:

isnt vietnam now capitalist, so did they really lose the war in the end? makes you think

War is as much as an exchange of ideas as it is an exchange of bullets.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Shockyourmonkey posted:

Apocalypse Now is a movie set in Vietnam but no way is it a Vietnam War Movie.

The best that can be said of it is that it's the best interpretation of Conrad's 'Heart of Darkness'.

There's a really good book called 'Bloods: An Oral History of Black Veterans of the Vietnam War'. That explains what Vietnam was like and more than a couple of them cite watching Apocalypse Now and thinking 'What the gently caress is this? this isn't the Vietnam I went to.'

I think that Coppola said it was a metaphor for Vietnam, not a movie about it.

My vote would go towards Platoon. A guy that has a cottage down the lake from my parents was a vet, and one time I was bullshitting with him and he said the Platoon was the most realistic, as pretty much every character in it was a spot on copy of at least one guy he knew over there.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Blistex posted:

I think that Coppola said it was a metaphor for Vietnam, not a movie about it.

My vote would go towards Platoon. A guy that has a cottage down the lake from my parents was a vet, and one time I was bullshitting with him and he said the Platoon was the most realistic, as pretty much every character in it was a spot on copy of at least one guy he knew over there.

well it was based on oliver stone's own experience fighting in the war

dude was no poo poo in combat, he was awarded two purple hearts and a bronze star for valor

but that does not make the movie better, imo

• Locked thread