Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Problem description:
I bought a new motherboard and CPU this past winter and tried to install them (onto my existing installation) with the help of some third-party migration assistant for Windows 7. During the final setup I bumped the hard drive while attempting to close the case, causing the computer to blue screen, but after a period or troubleshooting I managed to get it back to what I thought was working condition. The computer continued to blue screen with either kernel_inpage_error or an unspecified hardware issue for a considerable amount of time, but it generally resolved after I ran a defragmention utility after the computer managed to start successfully.

In the past week this strategy failed and I could not get the computer to start, so I assumed the problem was the current hard drive and created a fresh install of windows on a new hard drive. This worked initially, but eventually started to blue screen after a short period of time with the same error. The error only shows up when I run a game on steam or origin, and has not happened without a game running—unless windows is restarting after crashing during a game; it sometimes crashes once more before successfully restarting. I did migrate some files from the old hard drive to the new one, specifically origin and steam games; I am not sure if this could potentially be a problem, but I ran several virus checks to no avail.

Currently, when my computer loads a game, it lags constantly and without cessation until it blue screens with an inpage error; otherwise it can and will run for any amount of time without issue. Watching resource monitor shows memory usage continually increasing until I have little to no free memory. This led me to suspect my memory, as I literally just replaced my hard drive, and google suggests it is either that or memory. Replacing my memory in several sequences has not improved the outcome, however, so I am left without much of an idea beyond that all of my memory is shot, or that there's something wrong with my motherboard or gpu. I'm not sure how or why my gpu would be more likely to fail during the installation of a motherboard, but I switched from AMD to NVIDIA prior to the mobo and CPU, so I can't easily troubleshoot it. Further, the system seems to work better for a period of time after changing the hard drives SATA input.

Attempted fixes:
Made a fresh install of Windows on a new hard drive.
Changed SATA cables and ports several times.
Cycled memory in several configurations (old; new; used only slot 1&2; used only slot 3&4)

Recent changes:
4GB extra memory of the same type three years ago
New gpu two years ago
New motherboard and cpu this past winter

System specs:
Intel i5-4590
EVGA GEFORCE GTX 760 2GB
4x GSKILL DDR3 2GB
ASUS H97-PLUS motherboard

I have googled the issues I'm having and have read the FAQ.

At this point, I can't think of much beyond the motherboard as a culprit. Am I off base in this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Run the portable zip edition of CDI to check your HD health:

http://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

It says the hard drive is in good condition.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Verify the system can complete at least one full pass of Memtest86+ without errors.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

It completed one pass without issue, but I'm gonna let it go around again just to be safe.

e: The second pass was also clean.

WEH fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 28, 2015

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

In this instance I'd probably use the onboard video temporarily and see if the BSODs continue.

What's your PSU and how old is it?

grymwulf
Nov 29, 2013

What? Was it something I said?
The most recent BIOS update for that motherboard was on 5/28/15, have you updated your BIOS to the current build?

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/H97PLUS/HelpDesk_Download/

The patch notes for the builds do indicate there was a rapidly released update to the BIOS just 7 days after first release, which usually indicates some sort of bug or other problem being fixed. Most of the notes do indicate that they are addressing compatibility problems with certain processors, and other stability issues, so it might be a good idea to update to the latest build.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Zogo posted:

In this instance I'd probably use the onboard video temporarily and see if the BSODs continue.

What's your PSU and how old is it?

I yanked the GPU, but plugged it back in when I couldn't get the onboard to push video to my display to make sure I hadn't missed anything. I tested a game on a whim and now it seems to be allocating memory correctly. If this was seriously just that my GPU wasn't seated correctly I'm ashamed and very sorry for wasting everyone's time.

My PSU is a Corsair 650w from 2010.

grymwulf posted:

The most recent BIOS update for that motherboard was on 5/28/15, have you updated your BIOS to the current build?

The BIOS I have installed is from last October, so I'll give that a shot if the problem returns.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

The problem has continued, and these are the new steps I have taken/changes I have made:

- Updated the BIOS. Things seemed to improve a bit, but it didn't last.
- Installed Windows 10. I figured doing so couldn't hurt, as I'm likely going to have to start from scratch soon anyway. Seemingly as a result, games have yet to cause a blue screen when they crash.
- Tried using integrated graphics. The game did run more smoothly, but stuttered in a similar fashion at several points.
- Blew air in the GPU and PSU. No result.
- Replaced HDD SATA cable a third time. No result.
- Uninstalled and reinstalled the display driver. I just did this and it seems to have helped somewhat, but I'm not holding my breath.

I am wondering if the PSU is to blame, but when the game crashes does seem to coincide with the computer running out of free memory, and the stuttering/lag also seems to coincide with data of some sort being moved around. Singleplayer games run perfectly normal until they crash, and seem to crash after similar amounts of time. If the HDD and memory hadn't come back clean, I'd be thinking my entire computer was failing, but maybe thats a symptom of a failing power supply?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
I really think you are having memory corruption issues, try letting Memtest86+ run overnight.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

No errors over 9 1/2 hours and 8 passes.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Have you checked the memory timing and voltage to make sure they match the RAM? I upgraded the RAM in my main rig earlier this year with GSKILL RAM and had to manually adjust the memory timing - my mobo set them to the wrong defaults.

If you could test with another PSU it would be a good idea - if it is a problem that only occurs under load then it would also explain clean memtest86 passes and effects seen only when the machine is working harder.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

The voltage and timing were fine, but the frequency was slower than it should've been. After rebooting, online games still had stuttering issues, but I've had a Rome II custom match going for about half an hour without issue so....? The network card driver spontaneously uninstalled during an online game, so I'm not sure if the stuttering was due to that or the existing problem.

Either way, an energy and memory hungry game has been running without issue for a decent amount of time, so I'd call that a result. I'm not really convinced it'll last, though, so what's my next move if the problem reappears? I don't have a spare PSU, unfortunately.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

WEH posted:

...maybe thats a symptom of a failing power supply?

After five full years it is possible (especially if it had heavy use). It's also a possibility that the motherboard has failed in some way.

If it is either of those issues the only way to be 100% sure is replacement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

I guess I'll start with the ancient PSU. Thanks for the help, everyone!

• Locked thread