Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olive Mohel
Nov 8, 2006

Life is more than a series of ones and zeroes.
The books mentioned a lot how morphing felt super hosed up, like it should be agonizing but there's no pain, just your bones and organs and poo poo stretching and popping into place. I think that was worse than the violence to me.

Also there's a Goosebumps movie being made where the monsters from the books become real and R.L. Stine's daughter has to stop them or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Downercut posted:

The books mentioned a lot how morphing felt super hosed up, like it should be agonizing but there's no pain, just your bones and organs and poo poo stretching and popping into place. I think that was worse than the violence to me.

tbf thats a really small drawback to being able to heal almost anything by turning into a gerbil and then morphing back

wooah i can feel my brain shrinking, woooaahhh its growing again aaaand done, goodbye cancer

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Downercut posted:

Also there's a Goosebumps movie being made where the monsters from the books become real and R.L. Stine's daughter has to stop them or something.

That's pretty meta since it sounds just as lovely as a real Goosebumps plot.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
confident theres 30 year olds jerking it to the animorphs now

POWERBALL
Feb 16, 2012

by zen death robot

lmao

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Megera posted:

The Ellimist gave Tobias the power to morph again, and then took Tobias back in time to meet himself and reabsorb his human DNA.

Now I'm trying to remember if that happened in the Ellimist Chronicles, or one of the regular books

I also vaguely remember the plot to one of the earlier books, where the team destroyed some sort of emitter on top of a skyscraper that supplied the secret underground Yeerk regeneration pools for the region with their energy or something, it was implied that thousands of Yeerks died. Jake venting 100,000 of them into space later on is pretty cool.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Zeno-25 posted:

Now I'm trying to remember if that happened in the Ellimist Chronicles, or one of the regular books

It was one of the regular books. The first Tobias book, I think, because it would've been pretty loving boring if he was just a goddamn bird the entire time.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

boom boom boom posted:

It was one of the regular books. The first Tobias book, I think, because it would've been pretty loving boring if he was just a goddamn bird the entire time.

i thiught him constantly trying to reconcile his bird nature with his human nature was really cool

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Sonofsilversign posted:

i thiught him constantly trying to reconcile his bird nature with his human nature was really cool

Dude just wanted to eat voles and gently caress his girlfriend.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

boom boom boom posted:

Dude just wanted to eat voles and gently caress his girlfriend.

Who isn't 'bout that life?

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Rachel caught him eating roadkill once and he was super embarrassed about it.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

Charles Bukowski posted:

Rachel caught him eating roadkill once and he was super embarrassed about it.

how would you feel if you brought a girl home and there were leftovers from arbys in your fridge

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Here's a blog that reviewed the entire series:
http://cinnamonbunzuh.blogspot.com/

Also, the Ellimist Chronicles is the best one. It's the tale of how a goony space bird became a spaceship and then got sucked into a black hole and became God :allears:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Stoic Commie posted:

as much as i loved the books i feel like it probably is responsible for a big part of the furry problem

There's no pictures except the weird CGI covers, though

Sonic the Hedgehog, Space Jam, etc had way more to do with it IMO

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

loquacius posted:

There's no pictures except the weird CGI covers, though

yeah you're right words do not influence people, just illustrations

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Stoic Commie posted:

yeah you're right words do not influence people, just illustrations

Reading about spunky teens turning into gorillas and punching aliens doesn't really have a whole lot to do with fetishizing cartoony presentations of wolves and lions that walk around on two legs and talk like people though

this idea p much falls flat in every way is what I'm getting at

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
lol ok professor, either way, you're a furfag

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Did anyone else lose interest when it was revealed that Elfangor was Tobias' father from a time where he visited Earth, in the past, and knocked up a human he inadvertently went back in time with in one of the spinoff books?

Because that's when I decided to stop reading because that was just too much for me to handle and years later when I re-read the books there were like 4-5 more moments where I would have dropped out.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?
Came here for the Finnish folk-inflected death metal band Amorphis. Was disappointed...

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice

loquacius posted:

Reading about spunky teens turning into gorillas and punching aliens doesn't really have a whole lot to do with fetishizing cartoony presentations of wolves and lions that walk around on two legs and talk like people though

this idea p much falls flat in every way is what I'm getting at

my otherkin is a taxxon

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Tender Bender posted:

I found it, it's called Mindwarp. Doesn't even have a Wikipedia page but it does have some rad 90's as gently caress covers with silver foil effects:

https://www.goodreads.com/series/61016-mindwarp

Doing a deep dig through my own memory I'm pretty sure at the end of the "Jason Bourne Powers" book the kid discovers he was killed at the beginning and replaced by a shapeshifting assassin clone with his personality who is supposed to hunt down the other kids and has been losing a grip on his identity. It was a pretty weird series.

I read a few of those, but never finished the series. Couldn't find a torrent, and too cheap to buy them ob Amazon. Oh well

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Justin Godscock posted:

Did anyone else lose interest when it was revealed that Elfangor was Tobias' father from a time where he visited Earth, in the past, and knocked up a human he inadvertently went back in time with in one of the spinoff books?

Because that's when I decided to stop reading because that was just too much for me to handle and years later when I re-read the books there were like 4-5 more moments where I would have dropped out.

That was in the Andalite Chronicles, which owned because Elfangor got a sports car and thought it was badass as gently caress. Oh but his buddy got stuck in Taxxon form and Elfangor had to slash him in the face to get him to gently caress off, that kinda sucked.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
It always struck me as so dumb that the Andalite's are all super uptight about handing out advanced tech to un-advanced races because of some constantly alluded to but never explained thing in their culture (Seerow's Kindness? been forever don't remember the name). Of course part way through the series there's a big reveal that the Andalite's were the one's who gave the Yeerks their space faring technology and have vowed to never again... blah blah blah you get it. But Christ what did they expect? They find a race of creatures that can literally only function as a parasite at the expense of a mind controlled host and act all surprised when they start going around mind controlling things. Like here's an idea Andalites, nuke the mind control bugs from orbit, gently caress off to some other place and make friends with some species who doesn't require a mind slave to function.

Also Yeerks must have some god-like ability to process and analyze information since having one in your head is described as them trawling through your memories with you watching on helplessly, but at a few different points someone gets a Yeerk in their head and is then being mind-controlled flawlessly like 2 seconds later. Like wouldn't it take some time for the Yeerk to replicate the host's personality? Some time to examine all the memories and create a reasonable facsimile of the host? :spergin: about books I read in middle school...

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
The last, what, five Animorph books were mad hosed up. Like, poo poo got super real and lots of people died and the ending is one of the world's biggest dick punches and clearly the product of an author who no longer gives a poo poo because she is writing about teenagers boning mythological deities.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Sinking Ship posted:

It always struck me as so dumb that the Andalite's are all super uptight about handing out advanced tech to un-advanced races because of some constantly alluded to but never explained thing in their culture (Seerow's Kindness? been forever don't remember the name). Of course part way through the series there's a big reveal that the Andalite's were the one's who gave the Yeerks their space faring technology and have vowed to never again... blah blah blah you get it. But Christ what did they expect? They find a race of creatures that can literally only function as a parasite at the expense of a mind controlled host and act all surprised when they start going around mind controlling things. Like here's an idea Andalites, nuke the mind control bugs from orbit, gently caress off to some other place and make friends with some species who doesn't require a mind slave to function.

In one of the books they talk about how it wasn't really "the Andalites" that gave Yeerks technology, it was one specific Andalite, and they all think he as a moron and is no the biggest shame to their race for being so stupid.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Seerow is explained a bit more in the Hork-Bajir chronicles as his daughter is one of the main characters.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Ooooooh, so this thread is why I've been seeing a bunch of people mention this series lately. Wondered why.

I think we're just a couple years off from tv sfx reaching the level to do a series for this show, I think it could work. just loving do it, kids love dumb YA adaptations. ...PETA might flip out though when they constantly have to show animals getting ripped into pieces.

god drat :lol:

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
let me be the first to admit that the interactions between teenage boys and girls slightly aroused me when reading these books compulsively in elementary school

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Remember when that alien morphed into a human and spent all his time making noises because he didn't have a mouth in his base form and eating chili blew his loving mind and he couldnt stop stuffing his face

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

gonna have to narrow it down because I think that was every book :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

Sinking Ship posted:

easy there space hitler

seerow did nothing wrong

• Locked thread